The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: basic Handler Technique ?

Default Basic Handler Technique ?

Been running Hrc for some time now.

I've grown comfortable with talking to the dog as the marks are shown, commanding "here" and "heel" to get the dog to swing with the gun.

I'm getting ready to run some AKC tests, and wonder about peoples techniques at the line.

In a Senior test. When you take the dog to the line, do you position the dog to split the angle of the double, "sit" the dog, then call for the birds, and NOT let the dog move, OR

Do you position the dog in the direction of the first mark of the double, then silently have him turn at heel with you as the go bird is shown?

What about a multiple in master?
    Does your dog "sit" in 1 position and just turn its head to mark,, or does it silently "heel" or "here" to you as you turn?

Can you tap your leg or snap your fingers to get them to turn?

Thanks Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 03-29-2008 at 07:18 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I'm getting ready to run some AKC tests, and wonder about peoples techniques at the line.

In a Senior test. When you take the dog to the line, do you position the dog to split the angle of the double, "sit" the dog, then call for the birds, and NOT let the dog move, OR

Do you position the dog in the direction of the first mark of the double, then silently have him turn at heel with you as the go bird is shown?
    Keep in mind that the AKC walk up is very different from a HRC walk up in that the AKC walk up is usually part of the double or triple. The judges will instruct you to walk in a particular direction or toward a particular spot and the test will begin while you are in motion. In this instance you don't have as much control over where your dog is positioned in terms of facing a particular gun station or whatever. I know that conventional wisdom is to heel the dog on the right if the go bird is to be thrown to the right and heel on the left if the go bird is to be thrown from right to left, but if I was worried about my dog seeing the second mark I would heel him on the side of the second mark so that I could use my body language to "push" his attention toward the second mark instead of trying to "pull" his attention toward it. If you run HRC then your dog probably swings with the gun. That is a great tool for focusing the dog's attention IMO. Shoulder the gun, aim at the marks and use it to focus his attention IMO.

In my experience, there is a greater delay between marks and more noise from the gun station (duck calls and shotgun blasts) in AKC tests than in HRC tests and therefore there are fewer problems with dogs simply not seeing the marks in AKC.

I'm pretty sure that is not allowed, but I'm not a judge. I don't suggest trying it unless you can get a difinitive answer that it is OK.

Good luck.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

MG, I would spend some time getting the dog to move with your leg. Tapping your leg and such things are looked down on. As for how to line your dog up, that is a bit tricky and depends on the dog and the test. Your not allowed to point out the holding blinds in AKC HT's but you can bet that dog will learn where the flyer station is. I like to bring the dog out of the holding blind so he has the best chance to see what I believe the hardest mark will be for him so he looks and creates the picture the most. Some dogs I try and point them at another station vs the flyer station. Some dogs I just go up to the bucket, sit down and pray. You just never know.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

What?!?!?!?! So do you sit on a bucket in AKC SH? This one blindsided me. Have never done that except at a "started" at HRC . I might be in trouble here, our first SH is next weekend.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    What?!?!?!?! So do you sit on a bucket in AKC SH? This one blindsided me. Have never done that except at a "started" at HRC . I might be in trouble here, our first SH is next weekend.
    I have stood, sat and walked up. Even had a walk up honor once. If the judge can think it you can do it.
    Gooser try to split the difference lining up the dog, shoot for best view of entire field. After you release your dog for the go bird get your own self lined up for the memory bird. That way when dog comes to heel and gives you the bird, it is perfectly lined up for the memory. Your toes should be pointing directly at the memory bird. Not in buckets please.
    KNB
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

For the guys that have been running HRC, use that wooden gun AKC gives you as a marking tool. I see to many people not using this to their advantage.

Like gun dog said, each test is different but I try to watch the dogs ahead of me to determine which bird is the difficult or key bird and try to approach the line so the dog gets a good look at that station.

Been running Hrc for some time now.

I've grown comfortable with talking to the dog as the marks are shown, commanding "here" and "heel" to get the dog to swing with the gun.

What about a multiple in master?
    Does your dog "sit" in 1 position and just turn its head to mark,, or does it silently "heel" or "here" to you as you turn?

I wouldn't put the dog in position of trying to split the marks, the problem I see is after sending the dog on the Go bird, and now you line yourself up for the memory bird the dog comes back and the "Picture" (angle) is different. Line yourself facing memory birds, you get a duck call and a shot on all marks. It will be natural for you and your dog to turn as a unit to other marks being thrown. As for the tapping your leg or snapping your fingers you can not do this, till all marks are thrown and the judge releases you at the line on "dog" or your running number.

Good point by TY also take your time. Sit the dog and give it a chance to look out at the scenerio.

Biggo difference here Oh wearer of ugly pants AKA gooser of mooses.

In an AKC event typically the birdstation blows a duck call (or some other attention getting noise) and fires a shot at the top of the arc at the bird. While I have never actually even seen a HRC costume party, I'm told that there are no attention attracting noises from the vicinity of the fall.
    It doesn't take very long for a reasonably intelligent dog to figure out gun stations - most of them can even pick out the flyer station.

Call for the birds and then shut up until someone tells you different.

The dog will figure it out regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci