The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you share the love with????

Senior Member RailRoadRetrievers's Avatar

Default Who do you share the love with????

Who do you share your passion of retrievers with? Your spouse (mine could care less and doesn't understand why I care as much as I do). Family members (I have those who humor my dreams, but none that understand why I care as much as I do? Co-workers (they all think I have personal issues)?

So who do you talk to about dogs, what you plan on doing, who do you tell that cares whether or not your dog did something in your eyes that was great?

Just wondering....

Club members and the rest of you unstable Dawg'net Nut Cases!
    Peake
    ________
    EASY VAPE MANUAL
    Last edited by Peake; 03-25-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Husband, who throws marks (badly), spoils the dogs terribly and just shrugs when I bring another one home. At least he has finally learned to stop giving me jewelry and perfume and start wrapping bumpers and training gear for gifts. Adult son who trains well with me but has limited time. True discussions about plans, training, breeding, pedigrees, etc. happen with my old training group members and mostly via email with people I've bought and sold dogs/puppies with or met at hunt tests and formed a relationship. Dog people talk ALOT, sometimes hard to get off the phone! It would be really hard to be so involved with something so passionately and have my spouse be uninterested or even unsupportive. I would rather mine hunted more with the dogs but otherwise, can't complain about his support.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I pretty much fly solo. It can be hard to stay motivated sometimes, but I think about ducks all the time, and the dog is key to duck hunting, so it fits in fine.

I'm pretty darn green as a trainer, but I'm a genius/borderline pro compared to the folks I hunt with, so it's kinda fun to help others with their first pup and of course it's really fun when they throw birds for me . . . they tend to be amazed when I run a blind before sending the dog for the mark they just threw.

I don't contribute much, but I like to see what others here have to say about various topics.

NR

I have a bunch of hair clients who have all sorts of different dogs. They bring them into the salon sometimes for treats and hunting stories. Family-wise, no one cares but me. They pretty much think i am a weirdo. My fishing partners have all but abandoned me...
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Anybody who will listen....including the limo driver from my Dad's funeral this weekend. We held a reception at our house after the cemetery service. He was a man in his 70s who had driven the limo for my stepmother, half sister and her family, half brother and his wife from Houston to the country cemetery. He saw all the dog pictures and ribbons in our living room and asked, "What do you do with the dogs?" When I tried to give him a short answer he began to ask more and more questions........If I could have had about 30 more minutes with him, and a quick demonstration as a form of entertainment after dinner, I think we would have had another convert.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Lucky for me, my wife loves running dogs, too. And my extended training group buddies, who call at all hours of the day and night because they are sure I need to know who got called back for master at a test I am not running at 11:40 at night.....

I'm pretty much on my own except for the club. My wife probably doesn't understand, but is very supportive except for spending the money.

Senior Member Lesa Cozens Dauphin's Avatar

Marty and I got in this together. I have to admit, I don't share his love of watching training DVD's. But I do love watching the dogs work.
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers

Quote Originally Posted by muddyriver View Post
    I'm pretty much on my own except for the club. My wife probably doesn't understand, but is very supportive except for spending the money.
    ROFLMAO....that is just funny..probably because it rings a bell here too!

I share my retriever dreams/passions with the people I train with and my mentors (who are all long distance ) That is where I get my support and encouragement.

My husband does understand that it is my passion, and that's about as far as the conversations go..... if I start talking about how one of the dogs nailed a mark, or if we had a bad training day, or pedigrees, or aspirations..it's like I'm talking to a brick wall....

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein