Pup barking to much
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pup barking to much

Default Pup barking to much

Got a 4 month old pup and was wondering how to stop her from barking while being tied out or in her kennel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Some dogs are just more vocal. My female barks at the wind and my guy never makes a peep. Both have been raised the same.

Puppies of that age shouldn't be tied out and rarely left alone in a kennel. Take the time and walk your puppy instead of just putting her outside.
    deb

How much time do you spend with your pup?
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Plenty enough time 11/2 every mornin 2 to 3 hours every afternoon. Wasn't really lookin for someone to tell me I didn't spend enough time with my pup. Everyone assumed I just left it tied out all the time. A pup needs to learn to be by its self some with out barking

I'm a complete newbie at this but I'd recommend stopping this ASAP. I have one that started barking at about that age and it continuously got worse. As a newbie, I didn't have the know how to stop the barking and bc of my lack of knowledge my trainer had extra work on his hands to get it stopped. He's MUCH better now but it probably cost me some $$ that could've been spent on actual training. Sorry I can't tell you how to stop the barking but I recommend finding someone who can help pretty quick.

Fyi- I tried the vinegar and water spray but it barely slowed him down.

You can't stop a pup/dog from barking if your not with them. Time alone should be started in a safe comfortable environment i.e. crate, garage, room in the house, basement. She is just a baby, would you leave your baby alone to cry it out?
    deb

You can't stop a pup/dog from barking if your not with them. Time alone should be started in a safe comfortable environment i.e. crate, garage, room in the house, basement. She is just a baby, would you leave your baby alone to cry it out?
    deb

deb

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Plenty enough time 11/2 every mornin 2 to 3 hours every afternoon. Wasn't really lookin for someone to tell me I didn't spend enough time with my pup. Everyone assumed I just left it tied out all the time. A pup needs to learn to be by its self some with out barking
    I haven't posted anything in quite a while, but this struck a chord. You asked for advice, but seem to want to filter out any answers that you find objectionable. A lot of dog related questions involve a dialogue back & forth to gather more information. Every dog & situation are different. I am not the person to ask for training advice in terms of FTs/HTS, but I feel I do a pretty good job raising stable, happy dogs as companions/house dogs that also get as much field work as I can give them.

I think, first, they need routine. Exercise and feeding at pretty much the same time. I also think they need more than being tethered out to air or put in an airing yard. (Disclaimer-the pros have to do this, but the dogs are also getting a steady diet of training too & that exercises them and gives them mental stimulation). They need long rambling walks where they can explore and take their time and smell things. I think they need this to be their time-no commands-just you and pup out for a quiet walk. He'll also learn to check in with you & feel like you're a pretty good guy to hang out with and I think that translates to making him more attentive in training sessions.

I also think they need a lot more time hanging out with you in the house than tethered or in a crate. They need how to learn to live in the house responsibly and they need your company. It doesn't make them any less of a field dog.

This is long and rambling (probably why I shouldn't post any more!), but bottom line is that a tired pup is a happy-i.e. quiet pup. If you really feel that he is getting what he needs and is just nuisance barking it's time to teach him what "Quiet" means. Otherwise, I suspect he needs a bit more interaction than he's getting.

M
    Last edited by Miriam Wade; 02-08-2014 at 07:36 AM.
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)