The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does a new person find a mentor?

Default How does a new person find a mentor?

I keep seeing new people being advised to find a mentor, but I wonder how a person new to do training can track one down. How does one go about imposing himself upon a stranger? How does one go about even finding who to ask?

Having a mentor is great, but there seems far more demand than supply.

Edit:

I see from the responses below that folks think I am trying to find a mentor for myself. I am actually just wondering how other folks envision new trainers find mentors.
    Last edited by mitty; 02-05-2014 at 08:23 PM.
    Renee P

Go work a hunt test or two, work your butt off and someone will take you under their wing. Join a club, volunteer to help out within the club. Once you start meeting folks, opportunities will present themselves. Good luck.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP 2014 Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    RIP 2012 Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
    "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."

Don't know about volunteer mentors. But I've found a great training mentor in my trainer. But I know not all trainers are great mentors. This one seems to be a great and willing human trainer and attracts new clients and has many repeat clients due to this. But distance is the biggest factor. Mentors need to be close enough to utilize.

Found mine right here. Was reading a thread and he posted a comment. Saw that he was nearby for the winter so I emailed him. He said I could come out and a year later I still call/text him on a regular basis.

I recently took on a 16 year old boy who contacted me through our club website. He wants to learn to waterfowl and train his labX to retrieve. Because of his school and work schedule we have only been able to meet a few times. He is very enthusiastic. I started him working on basic OB and he and Jazz are making progress. They will be coming to training days and I'm going to line him up for a NMG&F hunter safety course. He should be ready by next season.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Find who's who by reviewing field trial entries and results on Entry Express. From there find who lives close to you. From there go to akc judge search to find contact info, maybe. From ee events near you review find contact info for event chairman, usually knowledgeable, and pump them for info.
    To start just ring folks up and ask when they're training and if you can come out with a dog, don't bring your whole pack.
    Etc etc
    PS since you're in SL UT look north into ID.
    Last edited by Breck; 02-05-2014 at 05:46 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Join your local retriever club. Often there are many small training groups (due to the groups location) that all belong to the local retriever club.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

As Joe has indicated, a person with lots of training experience wants to see serious commitment from a newbie before spending much time helping out. Besides doing more than ones share at club events, a person seeking mentoring should be committed to a training program and be making steady progress. Most of the old hands want to encourage new people in the sport but so many newbies do not make the commitment in time and effort to train a finished retriever. Be sure to do yard work and drills between mentoring sessions. Having a mentor does not mean you do not have work hard on your own.

Most mentoring is done in a group training setting. If training with a group, attend regularly. Training has to take precedence over many other things. Fix the leaky toilet after training not instead of training. Show up early and help set up. Have a radio and blank gun plus other training equipment. Bring birds.

Take the mentors advice. So often newbies either want to push their dogs to do set ups well beyond the dogs current skills or, on the other hand, do not push them to the edge of their current skillset. It is a turnoff to the person helping out if a newbie thinks they know how to do it better.

The Wasatch Hunting Retriever Club is having a Picnic on 2/22/14 at Lee Kay. Help out and meet people.
    Last edited by Russ; 02-05-2014 at 06:25 PM.

These are great responses, thank you everyone.

Apologies for giving the impression that I am trying to find a mentor for myself (I have edited the OP in hopes of making it more clear). I am just wondering how folks envision new people find mentors.

What you all are saying is consistent with what I have experienced, but many RTF posts give me the impression that others find it easy to find qualified people willing to help a newbie learn to train his dog.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    These are great responses, thank you everyone.

Apologies for giving the impression that I am trying to find a mentor for myself (I have edited the OP in hopes of making it more clear). I am just wondering how folks envision new people find mentors.

What you all are saying is consistent with what I have experienced, but many RTF posts give me the impression that others find it easy to find qualified people willing to help a newbie learn to train his dog.

So ... how did you find your mentor?
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com