My young dogs all got Lepto, but no vet ( including mine in CT) says the vaccine for Lyme is all that great, and having had 2 dogs with it I am more inclined to treat with the vets blessings than wait for a test that may or may not be correct due to a variety of things including the vaccine.My biggest problem is that some vets discount the possiblity of lymes if they have had the vaccine-not to mention the other TBD out there.
I have been leary of Vaccines forever, as goldens get Cancer, and there is enough proof the two are related. But, we have rabies in this area, we have lepto and we have Parvo. So my dogs as young dogs get all of these and the others. They get Lepto every year, and Rabies according to State law-every 3 years, which I do about every 2 1/2.I was very thankful for that when I met the raccoon on my porch last spring.
I think the key is communication. I have a phone call in to my genetics vet at UGA about another matter, and have picked up the phone and called Cornell to ask about these very things. I forward to my vet anything I get, but she is one of the few in this area who listens.
I trust my vet, but she also trusts me to bring her new info and to give her good information about my animals-not like when I take my car to the mechanic and tell him it Whirred and clunked.