The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 RABIES--Report on Adverse Vaccine Reactions in Dogs & Vaccine info

My young dogs all got Lepto, but no vet ( including mine in CT) says the vaccine for Lyme is all that great, and having had 2 dogs with it I am more inclined to treat with the vets blessings than wait for a test that may or may not be correct due to a variety of things including the vaccine.My biggest problem is that some vets discount the possiblity of lymes if they have had the vaccine-not to mention the other TBD out there.

I have been leary of Vaccines forever, as goldens get Cancer, and there is enough proof the two are related. But, we have rabies in this area, we have lepto and we have Parvo. So my dogs as young dogs get all of these and the others. They get Lepto every year, and Rabies according to State law-every 3 years, which I do about every 2 1/2.I was very thankful for that when I met the raccoon on my porch last spring.

I think the key is communication. I have a phone call in to my genetics vet at UGA about another matter, and have picked up the phone and called Cornell to ask about these very things. I forward to my vet anything I get, but she is one of the few in this area who listens.
    I trust my vet, but she also trusts me to bring her new info and to give her good information about my animals-not like when I take my car to the mechanic and tell him it Whirred and clunked.
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

Senior Member Kris L. Christine's Avatar

Exclamation

More information specifically on the rabies vaccine can be found at the following links if you are interested to learn more:

Animal Wellness Magazine Article Vol. 8 Issue 6, How Often Does he REALLY Need A Rabies Shot Animal Wellness Magazine - devoted to natural health in animals

The Rabies Challenge Animal Wise Radio Interview
    Listen to Animal Wise (scroll down to The Rabies Challenge 12/9/07)

The Vaccine Challenge Animal Talk Naturally Online Radio Show » The Vaccine Challenge - Show #91

US Declared Canine-Rabies Free -- CDC Announces at Inaugural World Rabies Day Symposium CDC Press Release - September 7, 2007
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee
    THE RABIES CHALLENGE FUND
    www.RabiesChallengeFund.org

My dog was a victim of a rabies vaccine reaction.
    It gave her a highly aggressive cancerous tumor at the site of injection.
    It changed my view on vaccines forever.
    Thru this experience, I have learnt so very much, and I am so very wary.
    I asked and asked my vet to report my case to the proper authorities.
    He never did.
    Obviously from reading your post Kris- this is not uncommon.

3 months after his rabies vaccine - our black lab got a nasal infection that has never left him. Even after spending thousands of dollars trying to help him to solve the issue, there was never any resolve. Now this condition is
    slowly taking his life away......

Be thankful, very thankful if your dog has never had an adverse
    reaction to vaccines.

Janice,

I am sorry to hear about your lab's reaction.

My yellow lab, Meadow, developed a malignant mast cell tumor directly on the site of a redundant rabies shot (his former veterinarian never disclosed that she was giving him a 3 year rabies shot every 2 years) and you could see the prominent syringe hole in the center of the tumor.

Repeated surgeries failed to yield clean margins, the cancer metasticized throughout his body, and he died in July.
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee

Exclamation

Channel 5 News WCVB Boston Woman: Rabies Shot Killed my Poodle May 28, 2008

http://www.thebostonchannel.com:80/n...ss=bos&taf=bos
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee

Kris,

I'm envisioning headlines, if rabies vaccines were made optional for example, that would read something like:

"Rabies killed my poodle"... And the story would blame the government and our medical community for not properly controlling this disease.

Will you please detail what you see as the ideal solution, in your opinion? I've seen many of your posts, I understand your messages in terms of the risks that rabies vaccines apparently pose to our dogs. What is your solution? What would fix this?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

That is an excellent question. What is needed to fix the situation is rabies immunization laws based on science demonstrating long-term duration of immunity to the rabies vaccine by challenge so that dogs are not required to have rabies boosters any more often than is necessary to maintain immunity -- which will protect the human population as well as them.

This becomes more interesting in drawing the analogy with the human rabies vaccination. If you click on this link http://www.theodora.com/drugs/rabies...rt_chiron.html for the Populations at Risk for Rabies sheet from Chiron Corporation, manufacturers of the RabAvert rabies vaccines for humans. Their pre-exposure vaccination recommendation for veterinarians, who are at greater risk than the general population for contracting rabies because their profession brings them into physical contact with potentially rabid animals, is for a “Primary course. No serologic testing or booster vaccination.” In other words, after the initial series of rabies vaccinations, it is not recommended that veterinarians receive further boosters or serological testing.

The American Animal Hospital Association's 2003 Canine Vaccine Guidelines http://www.leerburg.com/special_report.htm reports on Page 18 that “There is no indication that the immune system of canine patients functions in any way different from the human immune system. In humans, the epidemiological vigilance associated with vaccination is extremely well-developed and far exceeds similar efforts in animals whether companion or agricultural. This vigilance in humans indicates that immunity induced by vaccination in humans is extremely long lasting and, in most cases, life-long.” This strongly suggests that, like the human rabies vaccine, the canine rabies vaccine may provide life-long immunity as well -- something which could be determined by long-term challenge studies.

A titer of 1:5 is considered adequate to confer immunity in humans and dogs, yet our dogs are required to be repeatedly boostered with the rabies vaccine no matter what their titer count is. At the age of 9, my Meadow qualified for a medical exemption under the law due to his metasticized cancer. He hadn't had a rabies booster since he was 6 years old and he had a titer count of 1:5,8000 -- more than 1,000 times the level at which he would be considered protected.
    Last edited by Kris L. Christine; 05-30-2008 at 08:21 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee

This model disclosure form belongs with the first post, but was too long to post.

MODEL CANINE CORE VACCINE DISCLOSURE FORM

Prepared by Kris L. Christine

Vaccines have played a significant role in enabling animals to live longer and healthier lives. Thorough evaluations of the risks of the disease, and those potentially associated with the vaccine, compared to the benefits of vaccination for the patient, are necessary in crafting optimal health recommendations that include vaccination.

The proper application of vaccines to animal populations has enhanced their health and welfare, and prolonged their life-spans. The risks to animal health from non-vaccination are significant. However, vaccination is a potent medical procedure associated with both benefits and risks for the patient. Adverse events, including some that are potentially severe, can be unintended consequences of vaccination. Because vaccinating an animal which is already immune to a disease does not increase their immunity, but does expose them to the risk of adverse reactions, it is important to avoid overvaccination. Blood titers can help determine whether an animal’s antibody count is at protective levels.

The risks associated with the core canine diseases are as follows:

1. Distemper – high rates of morbidity and mortality from respiratory, gastrointestinal and neurological abnormalities; a widespread disease

2. Parvovirus – high rates of morbidity and mortality resulting primarily from gastrointestinal disease; this disease has worldwide distribution;

3. Canine Adenovirus – high rates of morbidity and mortality from liver dysfunction

4. Rabies – nearly universally fatal neurological disease. Infected animals are a potential source for human infection, thus vaccination is mandated by law in most states.

The risks associated with vaccination are as follows:

Possible adverse events from vaccination include failure to immunize, anaphylaxis, immunosuppression, autoimmune disorders such as hyper/hypothyroidism, polyarthritis, allergies, transient infections, and/or long-term infected carrier states. In addition, a causal association in cats between injection sites and the subsequent development of a malignant tumor is the subject of ongoing research.

Optimal immune responses are obtained by vaccines administered singly three to four weeks apart rather than in combination shots. Single vaccine administration also reduces the likelihood of adverse events as well as increasing the animal’s immune response. Only healthy animals should be vaccinated.

Except for the rabies vaccine, manufacturers’ labeled revaccination recommendations are based on limited scientific data and do not contain information on the vaccine’s maximum duration of immunity. The tables below contain the minimum duration of immunity data from the canine vaccine studies performed by Dr. Ronald Schultz, Professor and Chair of the Pathobiological Sciences Department at the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine, which form the scientific base of the American Animal Hospital’s 2003 Canine Vaccine Guidelines, Recommendations, and Supporting Literature.

If your animal experiences any of the following symptoms after vaccination, you should contact your veterinary care provider immediately: fever, vomiting, diarrhea, uncontrollable trembling, lack of coordination, seizures or a hard lump at the vaccination site which doesn’t disappear after a couple of weeks.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Table 1: Minimum Duration of Immunity for Canine Vaccines

Vaccine Minimum Duration Methods Used to

Of Immunity Determine Immunity

Canine Distemper Virus (CDV)

Rockborn Strain 7 years/15 years challenge/serology
    Onderstepoort Strain 5 years/9 years challenge/serology

Canine Adenovirus-2 (CAV-2) 7 years/9 years challenge-CAV-1/serology
    Canine Parvovirus-2 (CPV-2) 7 years challenge/serology

Canine Rabies 3 years/7 years challenge/serology

Data from Duration of Immunity to Canine Vaccines: What we know and Don’t Know by Dr. Ronald D. Schultz, Professor and Chair, Department of Pathobiological Sciences at the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine.

Note: Challenge studies are those in which an animal is vaccinated, isolated for a number of years, and then injected with high doses of virulent virus to test its immunity to disease. Serology is the method of counting antibody levels in the blood to determine an animal’s immunity.

Rabies Shot Killed my Poodle May 28, 2008 Channel 5 News WCVB http://www.thebostonchannel.com:80/n...ss=bos&taf=bos

Duration of Immunity to Canine Vaccines: What We Know and Don't Know, Dr. Ronald Schultz http://www.cedarbayvet.com/duration_of_immunity.htm

What Everyone Needs to Know about Canine Vaccines, Dr. Ronald Schultz http://www.puliclub.org/CHF/AKC2007C...20Vaccines.htm

World Small Animal Veterinary Association 2007 Vaccine Guidelines http://www.wsava.org/SAC.htm Scroll down to Vaccine Guidelines 2007 (PDF)

The 2003 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are accessible online at http://www.leerburg.com/special_report.htm .

The 2006 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are downloadable in PDF format at http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...s06Revised.pdf .

Veterinarian, Dr. Robert Rogers,has an excellent presentation on veterinary vaccines at http://www.newvaccinationprotocols.com/

October 1, 2002 DVM Newsletter article entitled, AVMA, AAHA to Release Vaccine Positions, http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/a...l.jsp?id=35171

July 1, 2003 DVM Newsletter article entitled, What Do We Tell Our Clients?, Developing thorough plan to educate staff on changing vaccine protocols essential for maintaining solid relationships with clients and ensuring quality care http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/a...l.jsp?id=61696

July 1, 2003, DVM Newsletter article, Developing Common Sense Strategies for Fiscal Responsibility: Using an interactive template to plan service protocol changes http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/a...l.jsp?id=61694

Animal Wellness Magazine Article Vol. 8 Issue 6, How Often Does he REALLY Need A Rabies Shot Animal Wellness Magazine - devoted to natural health in animals

The Rabies Challenge Animal Wise Radio Interview
    Listen to Animal Wise (scroll down to The Rabies Challenge 12/9/07)

The Vaccine Challenge Animal Talk Naturally Online Radio Show » The Vaccine Challenge - Show #91

US Declared Canine-Rabies Free -- CDC Announces at Inaugural World Rabies Day Symposium CDC Press Release - September 7, 2007

Rabies Prevention -- United States, 1991 Recommendations of the Immunization Practices Advisory Committee (ACIP), Center for Disease Control's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly March 22, 1991 / 40(RR03);1-19 http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00041987.htm "A fully vaccinated dog or cat is unlikely to become infected with rabies, although rare cases have been reported (48). In a nationwide study of rabies among dogs and cats in 1988, only one dog and two cats that were vaccinated contracted rabies (49). All three of these animals had received only single doses of vaccine; no documented vaccine failures occurred among dogs or cats that had received two vaccinations. "
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee

Holistic Vet Advocates Alternative Pet Care http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08162/888634-338.stm
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 By Susan Banks, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

"I think poor nutrition is responsible for a majority of the chronic
    disease we see in animals, and [too many] vaccines are a close second."

"When it comes to vaccines, he's of the unwavering opinion that they
    are given too often, sometimes causing long-term effects that may not
    be immediately apparent. Certain cancers have been linked to vaccines,
    and it is thought some autoimmune problems and perhaps seizure
    disorders are also triggered by boosters. "
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Kris L. Christine View Post
    Holistic Vet Advocates Alternative Pet Care http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08162/888634-338.stm
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 By Susan Banks, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

"I think poor nutrition is responsible for a majority of the chronic
    disease we see in animals, and [too many] vaccines are a close second."

"When it comes to vaccines, he's of the unwavering opinion that they
    are given too often, sometimes causing long-term effects that may not
    be immediately apparent. Certain cancers have been linked to vaccines,
    and it is thought some autoimmune problems and perhaps seizure
    disorders are also triggered by boosters. "
    Who would quote manure like this? Animals are living longer largely due to better nutrition and disease prevention by vaccinations and modern medicine. An opinion like this would be the same as me being quoted saying that Kris L. Christine's long, bold, red and black posts cause cancer. I can make the statement, some can take it as gospel, but it is still unfounded. Yes some side effects can occur, but more animals are protected than are ever harmed. As far as ongoing Ron Schultz quotes, we all know where he stands. He has an anus and has the right to an opinion. That is what many of his ideas are, opinion only.

Fact, I have a Great Pyrenes in my practice that has had rabies titers run yearly. Between year 4 and 5 the titer dropped below 1:5. Given current ideas on protective titers (not true fact), this dog is no longer protected. Ron Schultz would have me not vaccinate her, exposing me, the owner, and the dog to a potential risk of rabies. Too great a risk considering rabies is fatal and once symptoms develop, cannot be treated or prevented. The good news is that Kris is free to have an opinion and not vaccinate her dogs. The bad news is that if her dogs respond like the one above, we are all at increased risk to disease because her animal is potentially unprotected.
    Curt

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!----Benjamin Franklin