RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

2008 RABIES--Report on Adverse Vaccine Reactions in Dogs & Vaccine info

61K views 291 replies 48 participants last post by  Kris L. Christine 
#1 · (Edited)
There is much confusion in the general public about the duration of immunity of canine vaccines. Below is a copy of my testimony and model disclosure submitted to Maine's Agriculture Committee in support of LD 429, the nation's first pet vaccine disclosure legislation, which was introduced on my behalf by Representative Peter Rines of Wiscasset. Anyone who wishes to have copies of the attachments referenced below, please e-mail me at ledgespring@lincoln.midcoast.com.

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST THIS MESSAGE.

February 27, 2005

TO: The Agriculture, Conservation and Forest Committee

RE: LD 429, An Act to Require Veterinarians to Provide Vaccine Disclosure Forms

My name is Kris Christine and I live with my family in Maine. Before I begin my testimony, I’d like to advise the committee that one of the world’s leading veterinary research scientists, Dr. W. Jean Dodds, wanted to be here today to testify in support of LD429, but could not do so because of prior commitments. With her permission, in the attachments to my testimony, I have included her letter to Representative Peter Rines dated February 17, 2005 (Attachment 5) resolutely endorsing this first-in-the-nation veterinary vaccine disclosure legislation.

I am here today to respectfully urge this committee to recommend passage of LD429 – An Act to Require Veterinarians to Provide Vaccine Disclosure Forms because pet owners need the scientifically proven durations of immunity (how long vaccines are effective for) in order to make informed medical choices for their animals.

Many Maine veterinarians have failed to inform clients that most core veterinary vaccines protect for seven or more years, and pet owners, unaware that their animals don’t need booster vaccinations more often, have unwittingly given their companions useless booster shots – taking an unnecessary toll on their finances and animals’ health. The human equivalent would be physicians vaccinating patients against tetanus once every year, two years, or three years and not disclosing that the vaccines are known to be protective for 10 years.

For years veterinarians have sent pet owners annual, biennial and triennial reminders for redundant booster shots and justified it with vaccine manufacturers’ labeled recommendations. According to the American Veterinary Medical Association’s (AVMA) Principles of Vaccination (Attachment 6), “..revaccination frequency recommendations found on many vaccine labels is based on historical precedent, not on scientific data … [and] does not resolve the question about average or maximum duration of immunity [Page 2] and..may fail to adequately inform practitioners about optimal use of the product…[Page 4] .” As the Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital states it: “…booster vaccine recommendations for vaccines other than rabies virus have been determined arbitrarily by manufacturers.”

Dr. Ronald Schultz, Chairman of Pathobiological Sciences at the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine, is at the forefront of vaccine research and is one of the world’s leading authorities on veterinary vaccines. His challenge study results form the scientific base of the American Animal Hospital Association’s (AAHA) 2003 Canine Vaccine Guidelines, Recommendations, and Supporting Literature (Attachment 7). These studies are based on science – they are not arbitrary. The public, however, cannot access this data. The American Animal Hospital Association only makes this report available to veterinarians, not private citizens, and Maine’s pet owners are unaware that the AAHA Guidelines state on Page 18 that: “We now know that booster injections are of no value in dogs already immune, and immunity from distemper infection and vaccination lasts for a minimum of 7 years based on challenge studies and up to 15 years (a lifetime) based on antibody titer.” They further state that hepatitis and parvovirus vaccines have been proven to protect for a minimum of 7 years by challenge and up to 9 and 10 years based on antibody count. So, unless the Legislature passes LD429 requiring veterinarians to provide vaccine disclosure forms, dog owners who receive an annual, biennial, or triennial reminders for booster shots will not know that nationally-accepted scientific studies have demonstrated that animals are protected a minimum of 7 years after vaccination with the distemper, parvovirus, and adenovirus-2 vaccines (see Page 12 AAHA 2003 Guidelines attached, and Table 1, Pages 3 and 4).

"My own pets are vaccinated once or twice as pups and kittens, then never again except for rabies,” Wall Street Journal reporter Rhonda L. Rundle quoted Dr. Ronald Schultz in a July 31, 2002 article entitled Annual Pet Vaccinations may be Unnecessary, Fatal (Attachment 2). Dr. Schultz knows something the pet-owning public doesn’t – he knows there’s no benefit in overvaccinating animals because immunity is not enhanced, but the risk of harmful adverse reactions is increased. He also knows that most core veterinary vaccines are protective for at least seven years, if not for the lifetime of the animal.

The first entry under Appendix 2 of the AAHA Guidelines (Attachment 7) “Important Vaccination ‘Do’s and Don’ts” is “Do Not Vaccinate Needlessly – Don’t revaccinate more often than is needed and only with the vaccines that prevent diseases for which that animal is at risk.” They also caution veterinarians: “Do Not Assume that Vaccines Cannot Harm a Patient – Vaccines are potent medically active agents and have the very real potential of producing adverse events.” Very few pet owners have had this disclosed to them.

The AVMA’s Principles of Vaccination (Attachment 6) states that “Unnecessary stimulation of the immune system does not result in enhanced disease resistance, and may increase the risk of adverse post-vaccination events.” (page 2) They elaborate by reporting that: “Possible adverse events include failure to immunize, anaphylaxis, immunosuppression, autoimmune disorders, transient infections, and/or long-term infected carrier states. In addition, a causal association in cats between injection sites and the subsequent development of a malignant tumor is the subject of ongoing research.”(Page 2)

Referring to adverse reactions from vaccines, the Wall Street Journal article cited above (Attachment 2) reports: “In cats there has been a large increase in hyperthyroidism and cancerous tumors between the shoulder blades where vaccines typically are injected.” With modified live virus vaccines (distemper, parvovirus, hepatitis), some animals can actually contract the same disease which they are being inoculated against. If the public knew an animal’s immunity to disease is not increased by overvaccination, they would certainly not consent to expose their pets to potential harm by giving them excessive booster shots.

Veterinary vaccines are potent biologic drugs – most having proven durations of immunity much longer than the annual, biennial or triennial booster frequencies recommended by vaccine manufacturers and veterinarians. They also carry the very real risk of serious adverse side affects and should not be administered more often than necessary to maintain immunity.

The extended durations of immunity for vaccines is not “new” or “recent” science as some members of the Maine Veterinary Medical Association (MVMA) have claimed. AAHA reveals on Page 2 of their Guidelines that ideal reduced vaccination protocols were recommended by vaccinology experts beginning in 1978. A Veterinary Practice News article entitled “Managing Vaccine Changes” (Attachment 3) by veterinarian Dennis M. McCurnin, reports that: “Change has been discussed for the past 15 years and now has started to move across the country."

According to a September 1, 2004 article in the DVM veterinary news magazine (Attachment 1), the 312 member Maine Veterinary Medical Association (MVMA) “champions full disclosure of vaccine information to pet owners.” MVMA president, Dr. Bill Bryant, is quoted as stating: “Its time for something like this to come out … disclosure forms will be an important resource to have available, [and] if it goes before the Legislature, we’d likely support it.”

It is time. Pet owners have the right to know the scientifically proven durations of immunity for the veterinary vaccines given their animals, as well as the potential adverse side effects and benefits. LD 429 would make that standardized information available to all pet owners.

Respectfully submitted,
Kris L. Christine
Attachments

See less See more
#97 ·
Kris;

This information is important, but I think it is equally as important not to give the impression that people should wait until 16 weeks (4 months) before vaccinating. I apologize if I am misunderstanding the point of this thread.

In the trenches, puppies who are unvaccinated are at high risk of acquiring diseases like parvo and distemper. Anyone who works in the veterinary field can tell you of many lives lost during parvo or distemper outbreaks. When I worked in the veterinary emergency field, we had as many as 30 parvo puppies in one weekend. These diseases are real, and it is important that we protect our babies.

While I agree that the *ideal* vaccination protocal has yet to be arrived at, this thread leaves the impression that we should all wait until the 100% mark (4 months). The documents quoted are guidelines, not protocols, policies, or recommended practices. Each vet is usually acutely aware of the disease status in his/her community (local outbreaks, etc.), and generally sets their hospital's vaccination practices based on local disease patterns.

Lisa

#102 ·
Kris;

This information is important, but I think it is equally as important not to give the impression that people should wait until 16 weeks (4 months) before vaccinating. I apologize if I am misunderstanding the point of this thread.
Lisa,

The point of the post is to give dog owners information so they can make an informed vaccinal decision with their veterinarian. Dog owners need to consult their veterinarian and make a vaccine protocol schedule based on their puppy's individual situation and risk exposure. Someone like me who lives in an isolated rural area without another house in sight, whose dogs do not go out in public, has an entirely different risk than someone whose puppy goes to doggy daycare or dog shows.

With my veterinarian's advice, and based on informed consent, I have chosen to vaccinate my puppies later rather than earlier due to their limited risk. Many dog owners question the need for so many puppy booster combo shots (those shots all confer a minimum duration of immunity for the distemper, hepatitis, and parvo vaccinal components of 7 years by challenge) in the first 16 weeks of life -- now they know why, it's because of interference from maternal antibodies.

Further information on maternal antibodies and vaccination (some quotes below) is available at this link

Vaccination Options/Preventions, MATERNAL ANTIBODY: OUR BIGGEST OBSTACLE http://www.marvistavet.com/html/vaccination_options_prevention.html

Puppies that were born first or were more aggressive at nursing on the first day, will get more maternal antibody than their littermates. ...... Mother dogs vaccinated at approximately the time of breeding will have the highest antibody levels to pass on to their puppies.

*** REMEMBER, the more maternal antibody a puppy has, the less likely a vaccine is to work.

It should be noted that giving vaccine more frequently than every 2 weeks will cause interference between the two vaccines and neither can be expected to be effective. This includes giving vaccines for different infections. Vaccines should be spaced 2-4 weeks apart.

#98 · (Edited)
I so agree with Lisa. Considering that there are newer high titer, low passage parvo and combo vaccines out there, I have to question those stats from Vaccination 101. Why is it that Progard 5 studies showed it was 100% effective in protecting against parvo at 12 wks in pups vaccinated w/ it per label? Is the study a lie? How about Neopar, which several of us use around here at 5 wks (then Progard 5 at 7, 10, and 13 wks)? Interestingly enough, there were many cases of parvo around here killing puppies as young as 6 wks before a couple vets put their heads together and came up w/ the protocol I'm using ever since a friend's nightmare. They've seen no parvo episodes where this protocol has been used since. This friend brought Parvo home ~6 yrs ago from the ACVO's office after exposing her 7 wk old litters (2 litters). She had a 3 wk old litter at home as well... that also came down w/ it in short order, so she had all 20+ puppies very sick, 8 died, $1000's in vet bills. Tell me again that we should wait until 16 wks..... I surely don't buy it and wonder where some of these folks live who are making these recommendations. (Note-- the 7 wk old litters were not yet vacc'd as if I remember right, someone getting one of the puppies didn't want their's vacc'd!!!)

We are seeing parvo here even in the cold of winter these days, so even winter litters aren't safe. Better safe than sorry here! I do the full puppy series, boost at a year later, separate out lepto and rabies from the combos. Will do lepto annually (just became a problem in my area), and go 2-3 yrs on the combos depending on breeding plans. Do what you want Kris but I for one think these recommendations especially, are scary. Anne

#99 ·
Multiple boosters are given because maternal immunity interferes with vaccinal response.
I use high titer Progard 5 which has been proven to over ride the maternal antibody. This has also been posted in the past but all rebuttal is always ignored because it doesn't fit in with their agenda. I have never had a reaction and I have never had a puppy die of Parvo as have thousands of other puppy buyers that vaccinate starting early. Most people with field puppies want to get those pups out as soon as possible after their vaccination series and not wait until 6 months old. Posts like vaccinating after 16 weeks can do more harm than good and I just hope no one follows these cherry picked recommendations to support their agenda.

#101 ·
I am old enough to remember when parvo first emerged. It still makes me break out in a cold sweat to think about it. I had Shelties at the time, and with no vaccinations, the best we could do was keep everyone home. Not good for a breed that requires early and intensive socialization! I would hate for the number of successfully vaccinated animals in the population to drop below that required to protect all (I believe the number is 70% successfully vaccinated). It would take us right back to 1978 again.

Lisa

#100 ·
I also agree with Ann & Lisa, though we are in a frigid winter zone, we have a parvo "hotspot" neighborhood in the area and with me out and about in the field, traveling, working at the shelter, etc., I will continue vaccinating my pups starting at 6 weeks. After all, even the quoted study says 50% +/- at 6 weeks were lacking enough of their dam's immunity to accept the vaccination. I'm not risking even a 50% chance on their having dam's immunity, not when there is so little irrefutable evidence that vaccinations cause more harm than good.

#104 ·
I prefer to trust the information coming from my vet rather than animal rights folks, presenting one sided jaded opinions. Do your research on who you're listening to.
/Paul
Absolutely, dog owners should do their homework so they can make informed choices with their veterinarians.

If you are inferring that I am an animal rights activist, you are quite mistaken, the AR "folks" have taken action against the Rabies Challenge Fund and me http://www.stopanimaltests.com/f_rabies_challenge.asp .

#106 ·
Kristine,
Thank you for posting this information. My vet was going to give a couple of shots at the same time, I told him I would come back in a few weeks for the other shot. After asking me why, I explained to him about the research I had done, he said he was impressed. He agreed but said the reason he did it that way was convenience for the pet owner. I also waited until 6 months before the first rabies shot, he said he agreed in principle with that also. I think your posts and research is very informative, and helps give owners more information so they can make there own decisions. I agree it depends on what area you live in and some other factors. I am never one to do something "just because it's the way everyone does it", and I try not to be swayed by well written opinions. I always research for myself, then make my decision, always including my vet into the equation.

#107 ·
Even the "high-titer" vaccines don't always work though. I have first-hand experience with a lack of immune response (zero titer) after using Galaxy, Duramune, Vanguard....and we are not talking a 6 week puppy here, I am talking about no response on 20 week old pups! (this was the third vacc, in one case the pup was vacc'd with Galaxy, re-vacc'd with Vanguard, then vacc'd a third time with Duramune Max PV - still no titer!). I spent almost 2 grand last year vaccinating and titering a group of pups, trying to determine what works. Well, we sure have found what doesn't work (in our dogs at least!)

So far we seem to have had the best luck with Proguard, I have had decent titers in pups after only an 8 week vacc. My vet has now agreed to carry that one for me! The other apparently high-titer vaccs all appear to be useless in my dogs. Just had parvo here recently, in two pups that had multiple parvo vaccs (all Galaxy on one, and a Vanguard followed by Galaxy on the other)

#111 ·
#112 ·
Rabies Vaccination Bill Passes in Alabama Senate Committee by Kent Faulk Birmingham News 3/27/09 http://www.al.com/birminghamnews/stories/index.ssf?/base/news/1238141769185070.xml&coll=2

A bill that would allow dogs and cats to be vaccinated every three years, instead of once a year, got the unanimous approval of the Alabama Senate's Health Committee on Thursday.

"If they just keep contacting their legislators, it would be very helpful," he said.
[Senator Larry Dixon, the bill sponsor]

This bill still needs to pass the full Senate and House, so concerned pet owners should contact their legislators and ask them to pass SB 469.
Alabama Legislature: You can find contact information for your Senator and Representative at the following link: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/

#113 ·
MASSACHUSETTS Rabies Bill SB 784 -- Medical Exemption

Massachusetts Senate Bill #784, An Act Relative to Rabies Vaccination for Dogs and Cats http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/186/st00/st00784.htm, has been introduced by Senator Panagiotakos and will include language into the rabies law allowing medical exemptions for dogs and cats for whom a medical condition precludes vaccination.

What You Can Do to Help

Please contact your Legislators and ask them to pass Senate Bill #784 and ask everyone you know in Massachusetts to do the same.
Find Your Legislator by Town http://www.mass.gov/legis/city_town.htm

PERMISSION IS GRANTED TO CROSS-POST

#114 ·
Rhode Island Rabies Control Board Meeting End of April

Rhode Island State Veterinarian, Dr. Scott Marshall (401-222-2781 ext. 4503), has convened a meeting of The Rabies Control Board at the end of this month to discuss changing the rabies law from a 2 year protocol to the national 3 year standard.

What You Can Do to Help

Contact your legislators and ask them to change the state's rabies law to the national 3 year standard and ask your friends to do the same. To find your legislator, click on this link: Rhode Island General Assembly: http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/

#115 ·
Board OKs Change in Rabies Policy Providence Journal News Digest May 1, 2009 http://www.projo.com/news/content/news_digest_01_05-01-09_5KE7P0O_v4.38640bf.html

"PROVIDENCE –– The Rhode Island Rabies Control Board has approved a change in policy that could pave the way for regulations that will allow the vaccination of dogs and cats every three years, rather than every two years.

The rabies board also voted its support for regulatory language that would empower veterinarians to exempt certain pets from vaccination requirements under special circumstances, Marshall said. "

#116 ·
Alabama Legislature OKs 3-Year Rabies Vaccinations Birmingham News 5/15/09 http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/metro.ssf?/base/news/124237531679290.xml&coll=2

Dogs and cats around Alabama could be howling a sigh of relief soon.

The Alabama House of Representatives gave final approval Thursday to a proposed law that allows dog and cat rabies vaccinations once every three years. The bill goes to Gov. Bob Riley for his consideration to sign into law.

The bill passed both houses of the Alabama Legislature without a vote against it. "It's something everybody understands," Dixon said.

#117 ·
TEXAS Rabies Law--Bell County

PERMISSION TO CROSS-POST

A debate over the annual county rabies protocol in Bell County, Texas has erupted (see 6/7/09 Temple Daily Telegram Bell County eyes rabies ordinance change: Required shots could switch from yearly to every three years http://www.tdtnews.com/story/2009/06/07/58450 6/2/09 story on Channel 25 ABC News Bell County Rabies Debate Continues http://www.kxxv.com/global/story.asp?s=10467503 , Killeen Takes Closer Look at Rabies Vaccinations KCEN Channel 9 News 6/4/09 http://www.kcendt.com/?p=12086, Killeen Daily Herald stories Regulations for rabies vaccination under debate http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=33495 and County debates changing rabies law http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=33636) and it is urgent that any and all concerned pet owners contact the county officials below to urge them to change the protocol to the national 3 year standard. A copy of my letter to County officials is below. Texas state law recognizes the 3 year rabies vaccines licensed by the USDA and at least one town's 3 year protocol is overridden by the County order.

What You Can Do to Help

Contact the Bell County Commissioners, County Attorney and/or District Attorney via phone, e-mail, or fax (contact information is below) and tell them it is time for them to adopt the 3 year rabies protocol recommended by all the national veterinary medical associations and adopted by all the states. Please share this action alert with all the pet-owners you know.

County Commissioners: Phone 1-800-460-2355 or 254-939-3521 Fax: 254 - 933-5179 Richard Cortese richard.cortese@co.bell.tx.us; Tim Brown tim.brown@co.bell.tx.us; Eddy Lange william.lange@co.bell.tx.us; John Fisher john.fisher@co.bell.tx.us

County Attorney Richard Miller Phone 1-800-460-2355 or 254-939-3521 Faxes 254-933-5150 and 254-933-5176
District Attorney Henry Garza henry.garza@co.bell.tx.us fax: 254-933-5179 phone Phone 1-800-460-2355 or 254-939-3521

May 26, 2009

Bell County Commissioners
County Attorney Richard Miller
District Attorney Henry Garza
101 East Central Avenue
Belton, TX 76513

RE: BELL COUNTY ANNUAL RABIES VACCINATIONS ORDER

Greetings Messrs. Cortese, Brown, Lange, Fisher, Miller, and Garza:

Bell County should amend the outdated section (4.01) of its Animal Control County Order governing rabies vaccinations which requires annual rabies boosters following the initial puppy and kitten series of shots and institute a 3 year rabies immunization protocol conforming to the national standard adopted by all the states, including Texas, and recommended by the Center for Disease Control’s (CDC) National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians as well as the American Veterinary Medical Association.

The CDC’s National Association of State Public Health Veterinarian’s Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control 2008 states that, “Vaccines used in state and local rabies control programs should have at least a 3-year duration of immunity. This constitutes the most effective method of increasing the proportion of immunized dogs and cats in any population (50).” They specifically warn that, “[n]o laboratory or epidemiologic data exist to support the annual or biennial administration of 3- or 4-year vaccines following the initial series.”

It is recognized that most, if not all, currently licensed annual rabies vaccines given annually are actually the 3-year vaccine relabeled for annual use -- Colorado State University's Small Animal Vaccination Protocol for its veterinary teaching hospital states: “Even with rabies vaccines, the label may be misleading in that a three year duration of immunity product may also be labeled and sold as a one year duration of immunity product.” According to Dr. Ronald Schultz of the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine, whose canine vaccine studies form a large part of the scientific base for the 2003 and 2006 American Animal Hospital Association’s (AAHA) Canine Vaccine Guidelines, as well as the World Small Animal Veterinary Association’s 2007 Vaccine Guidelines, “There is no benefit from annual rabies vaccination and most one year rabies products are similar or identical to the 3-year products with regard to duration of immunity and effectiveness.” [1]

Bell County’s code requiring annual rabies boosters may have been intended to achieve enhanced immunity to the rabies virus by giving the vaccine more often than Texas state law and the federal 3-year licensing standard, but, more frequent vaccination than is required to fully immunize an animal will not achieve further disease protection. Redundant annual rabies shots needlessly expose dogs and cats to the risk of adverse effects while obligating residents to pay unnecessary veterinary medical fees. The American Veterinary Medical Association's 2001 Principles of Vaccination state that “Unnecessary stimulation of the immune system does not result in enhanced disease resistance, and may increase the risk of adverse post-vaccination events.”

By requiring pet owners to pay for a yearly veterinary medical procedure from which their animals derive no benefit and may be harmed, the county’s current rabies immunization code may violate the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act (Title 2, Chapter 17) and may place veterinarians in the uneasy position of violating Title 4 Chapter 801Subsection 402 (12) of the Veterinary Licensing Act, which cites as grounds for license denial or disciplinary action any veterinarian who “performs or prescribes unnecessary…treatment.”

Immunologically, the rabies vaccine is the most potent of the veterinary vaccines and associated with significant adverse reactions such as polyneuropathy “resulting in muscular atrophy, inhibition or interruption of neuronal control of tissue and organ function, incoordination, and weakness,”[2] auto-immune hemolytic anemia,[3] autoimmune diseases affecting the thyroid, joints, blood, eyes, skin, kidney, liver, bowel and central nervous system; anaphylactic shock; aggression; seizures; epilepsy; and fibrosarcomas at injection sites are all linked to the rabies vaccine.[4] [5] It is medically unsound for this vaccine to be given more often than is necessary to maintain immunity.

A “killed” vaccine, the rabies vaccine contains adjuvants to enhance the immunological response. In 1999, the World Health Organization “classified veterinary vaccine adjuvants as Class III/IV carcinogens with Class IV being the highest risk," [6]and the results of a study published in the August 2003 Journal of Veterinary Medicine documenting fibrosarcomas at the presumed injection sites of rabies vaccines stated, “In both dogs and cats, the development of necrotizing panniculitis at sites of rabies vaccine administration was first observed by Hendrick & Dunagan (1992).”[7] According to the 2003 AAHA Guidelines, "...killed vaccines are much more likely to cause hypersensitivity reactions (e.g., immune-mediated disease)." [8]

County officials should note data indicating that compliance rates are no higher in areas with annual rabies immunization requirements than in those with triennial protocols. A 2002 report compiled by the Banfield Corporation for the Texas Department of Health on rabies vaccination rates determined that a “comparison of the one-year states and the three-year states demonstrates no difference in the delinquency rates” and that, “A paucity of scientific data exists to demonstrate a clear public health benefit of a one-year vaccination protocol versus a three-year vaccination protocol.” [9]

On behalf of The Rabies Challenge Fund and the Bell County pet owners who have contacted us, we strongly urge you to amend Section 4.01 of the Bell County Order governing Animal Control and Rabies Vaccinations to conform to the 3-year national standard recommended by the Center for Disease Control’s National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians and endorsed by the American Veterinary Medical Association.

Sincerely,

Kris L. Christine
Founder, Co-Trustee
THE RABIES CHALLENGE FUND
www.RabiesChallengeFund.org

cc: Dr. W. Jean Dodds
Dr. Ronald Schultz
Belton, Harker Heights, Killeen, Salado, and Temple City Officials
Justin Cox

continued

#118 ·
continued

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Schultz, Ronald D.; What Everyone Needs to Know about Canine Vaccines, October 2007, http://www.puliclub.org/CHF/AKC2007Conf/What Everyone Needs to Know About Canine Vaccines.htm

[2] Dodds, W. Jean Vaccination Protocols for Dogs Predisposed to Vaccine Reactions, The Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association, May/June 2001, Vol. 37, pp. 211-214

[3] Duval D., Giger U.Vaccine-Associated Immune-Mediated Hemolytic Anemia in the Dog, Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 1996; 10:290-295

[4] American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Executive Board, April 2001, Principles of Vaccination, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Volume 219, No. 5, September 1, 2001.

[5] Vascelleri, M. Fibrosarcomas at Presumed Sites of Injection in Dogs: Characteristics and Comparison with Non-vaccination Site Fibrosarcomas and Feline Post-vaccinal Fibrosarcomas; Journal of Veterinary Medicine, Series A August 2003, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 286-291.

[6] IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans: Volume 74, World Health Organization, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Feb. 23-Mar. 2, 1999, p. 24, 305, 310.

[7] Vascelleri, M. Fibrosarcomas at Presumed Sites of Injection in Dogs: Characteristics and Comparison with Non-vaccination Site Fibrosarcomas and Feline Post-vaccinal Fibrosarcomas; Journal of Veterinary Medicine, Series A August 2003, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 286-291.

[8] American Animal Hospital Association Canine Vaccine Task Force. 2003 Canine Vaccine Guidelines, Recommendations, and Supporting Literature, 28pp. and ibid. 2006 AAHA Canine Vaccine Guidelines, Revised, 28 pp.

[9] Texas Department of Public Health, Zoonosis Control; The White Paper, Options for Rabies Vaccination of Dogs and Cats in Texas, 2002

#119 ·
INDIANA Rabies Law -- Delaware County

PERMISSION TO CROSS-POST

The Muncie Delaware Humane Society (Indiana) has submitted a proposal to the County Council and Commissioners which would include imposing a tax on dogs as well as changing the county's current 3 year rabies immunization protocol to one requiring a yearly rabies booster for all dogs and cats in order to obtain a license.

I've spoken at length with 3 council members, and if I am understanding them correctly, the proposed ordinance came from the Humane Society, in conjunction with local veterinarians. The ordinance will, in effect, set the Humane Society up as an independent animal control agency for Delaware County -- allowing them to unilaterally determine rabies booster intervals, licensing requirements, setting fines, imposing taxes on pets, implementing mandatory spay/neuter policy, etc... Apparently the society intends to collect up to $1,000 in fines for some violations. All of the fees will go into the Humane Society coffers to fund the running of their shelters, and the veterinarians performing the vaccinations and spaying/neutering will be paid for their services. One controversial portion of the proposal would apparently allow the Humane Society to enter private property without a search warrant.

Below is a copy of my letter to the county officials on behalf of The Rabies Challenge Fund opposing the proposed revision to the rabies protocol.

What You Can Do

Contact the Delaware County Council and Commissioners (contact information below) and ask them to reject the portion of the Humane Society's proposal which would change the current 3 year rabies ordinance.

County Commissioners Telephone Number: (765) 747-7730 Fax: (765) 747-7899
Don Dunnuck ddunnuck@co.delaware.in.us
Todd Donati tdonati@co.delaware.in.us
Larry W. Bledsoe, Jr. lbledsoe@co.delaware.in.us

County Council Fax: (765) 741-3422

Kevin Nemyer knemyer@aol.com (765) 286-0962
Bradley Bookout bradleybookout@comcast.net (765) 808-1484
James King jdkingsr@comcst.net (765) 286-9065
Mary Chambers mcouncil3@sbcglobal.net (765) 289-8928
Ted Bowman (765) 789-4931
Ronald Quakenbush rqdlctydist2@yahoo.com (765) 759-8461
Chris Matchett, President cmatchett@co.delaware.in.us (765) 759-4725; cell: 765-730-5987

June 24, 2009

Delaware County Council and Commissioners
100 West Main Street
Muncie, IN 47305

RE: Humane Society Proposed Ordinance Change Affecting Rabies
Immunization Protocol for Dogs

Greetings Council Members and Commissioners

This letter is a follow-up to my Tuesday conversations with Councilors Bowman and Chambers regarding an ordinance proposed by the Muncie Delaware Humane Society which would impose a tax on dogs in addition to revising the county’s 3 year rabies immunization ordinance to require annual rabies boosters for dogs and cats in order to obtain licenses.

Delaware County’s current Animal Care & Control Ordinance, Chapter 12, Section 3-12-1, which declares, "Rabies vaccination shall mean the injection by a licensed veterinarian of a dog/cat with a rabies vaccine licensed by the USDA and approved by the Indiana State Department of Health..." conforms to the Indiana state rabies protocol (Rule 5 Rabies Immunization, 345 IAC 1-5-1 Rabies Vaccination) as well as the recommendations of the American Veterinary Medical Association [1] and the Center for Disease Control’s National Association of State Public Health Veterinarian's 2008 Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control advising that: "Vaccines used in state and local rabies control programs should have at least a 3-year duration of immunity........ No laboratory or epidemiologic data exist to support the annual or biennial administration of 3- or 4-year vaccines following the initial series."

A regressive ordinance revision requiring annual rabies boosters for dogs and cats is medically unnecessary and scientifically unfounded. According to the American Animal Hospital Association, "The minimum DOI [duration of immunity] for killed rabies vaccine based on challenge studies is 3 years; based on antibody titers, it is considered to be up to 7 years..” [2]

More frequent vaccination than is required to fully immunize an animal will not achieve further disease protection. Redundant annual rabies shots needlessly expose dogs and cats to the risk of adverse effects while obligating residents to pay unnecessary veterinary medical fees, which could violate Indiana’s consumer protection laws and obligate veterinarians to engage in unprofessional conduct (Code 25-1) by administering medically unwarranted rabies vaccines in order for their clients to comply with the amended ordinance. The American Veterinary Medical Association's 2001 Principles of Vaccination state that “Unnecessary stimulation of the immune system does not result in enhanced disease resistance, and may increase the risk of adverse post-vaccination events.”

It is recognized that most, if not all, currently licensed annual rabies vaccines given annually are actually the 3-year vaccine relabeled for annual use -- Colorado State University's Small Animal Vaccination Protocol for its veterinary teaching hospital states: “Even with rabies vaccines, the label may be misleading in that a three year duration of immunity product may also be labeled and sold as a one year duration of immunity product.” According to Dr. Ronald Schultz of the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine, whose canine vaccine studies form a large part of the scientific base for the 2003 and 2006 American Animal Hospital Association’s (AAHA) Canine Vaccine Guidelines, as well as the World Small Animal Veterinary Association’s 2007 Vaccine Guidelines, “There is no benefit from annual rabies vaccination and most one year rabies products are similar or identical to the 3-year products with regard to duration of immunity and effectiveness.” [3]

Immunologically, the rabies vaccine is the most potent of the veterinary vaccines and associated with significant adverse reactions such as polyneuropathy “resulting in muscular atrophy, inhibition or interruption of neuronal control of tissue and organ function, incoordination, and weakness,” [4] auto-immune hemolytic anemia, [5] autoimmune diseases affecting the thyroid, joints, blood, eyes, skin, kidney, liver, bowel and central nervous system; anaphylactic shock; aggression; seizures; epilepsy; and fibrosarcomas at injection sites are all linked to the rabies vaccine. [6] [7] It is medically unsound for this vaccine to be given more often than is necessary to maintain immunity.

A “killed” vaccine, the rabies vaccine contains adjuvants to enhance the immunological response. In 1999, the World Health Organization “classified veterinary vaccine adjuvants as Class III/IV carcinogens with Class IV being the highest risk," [8] and the results of a study published in the August 2003 Journal of Veterinary Medicine documenting fibrosarcomas at the presumed injection sites of rabies vaccines stated, “In both dogs and cats, the development of necrotizing panniculitis at sites of rabies vaccine administration was first observed by Hendrick & Dunagan (1992).” [9] According to the 2003 AAHA Guidelines, "...killed vaccines are much more likely to cause hypersensitivity reactions (e.g., immune-mediated disease)." [10]

The Rabies Challenge Fund urges you to reject the portion of the Muncie Delaware Humane Society proposal which would amend Chapter 12 Section 3-12-1 of the Animal Care and Control Ordinance to require annual rabies vaccinations for dogs and cats.

Sincerely,
Kris L. Christine
Founder, Co-Trustee
THE RABIES CHALLENGE FUND
www.RabiesChallengeFund.org

cc: Dr. W. Jean Dodds
Dr. Ronald Schultz

#120 ·
Working in health care field I've heard the pros and cons about getting vaccinations.
AND I saw "Ole Yeller" so I think I'll stick with my vets advise and continue to get the vaccines. I just did my kennel and all are doing great. We've spent 3 months doing rabies, the combinations (parvo, distemper, etc) kennel cough, worming and so forth--ya all know the drill. Being that these dogs are out hunting exposed to all kinds of things that companion dogs do not run into I rather give it to them that say "OH, shoot I should have gotten a vaccine."
Thanks for presenting your side though at least we can say we didn't see anything.

#121 ·
Kris L. Christine or Whomsoever DVM

There is a reason for the dvm. The went to atleast eight years for that reason and that is why I trust it. Not some radical that is trying to push an agenda. I do not think vets care whether or not they give out 1,2, or 3 year shots. They just do what is required. And when it comes to being sick, I have been on a pretty stringent dose of medications for around ten years now and before that plenty of insulin and other drugs, do they give me the sh**s you bet. Will I keep taking them, They keep me alive. Same as rabies vaccines. It happens to humans to and very rarely is there ever a change of course. There is always a risk of death when dealing with drugs, small risk though!

#122 ·
My golden is healing up now from a 6 inch incision to remove a chain of tumors FROM A RABIES VACCINATION SITE that are thankfully not cancerous. Any of you who know me know that this could have been a very devastating time for me right now, and I very much resent being told that I must continue to do this to my dog when I honestly feel that he already has lifetime immunity from the vaccinations he's already had in his life. Making vaccination choices is a very personal decision for all of us. If anyone wants to vaccinate every year, leaving the 3 year requirement will certainly not stop someone from going that route.

Also, I happen to use a vet in Delaware County, Indiana, and I am thankful to be made aware of a proposal that wants to make a 1 year rabies vaccination mandatory, instead of the 3 year currently in place.

Carla Trible

UH HRCH GRCH Millcreek's Pay It Forward TDInc "Teegan" 500 point golden retriever

#123 ·
Update: Texas Rabies Law -- Bell County

July 23, 2009 article in the Killeen Daily Herald on efforts to change the annual rabies ordinance in Bell County, Texas: Animal Advisory Committee Works to Revamp Rabies Policy http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=34716

"Killeen's animal advisory committee can't change the annual rabies vaccination policy – so it's going to the source.

The committee is sending representatives to the Bell County Commissioners Court and the Killeen City Council in an effort to change the county's policy on rabies vaccinations."

#124 ·
TEXAS RABIES LAW-- Bell County Update

Rabies shots only needed every 3 years Killeen Daily Herald 7/29/09http://kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=34835

Members of Killeen's Animal Advisory Committee took a stand against Bell County's current pet rabies vaccination policy at Tuesday's City Council's workshop.

After hearing presentations from two veterinarians, the Killeen City Council reached a unanimous consensus to support the committee's appeal to the county for prolonging rabies vaccinations to once every three years instead of annually.

#125 ·
Vaccine Data on Facebook/Rabies Challenge Fund

For those of you interested in information on canine vaccines, The Rabies Challenge Fund now has an official page on Facebook and so do I (under Kris L. Christine), where I have posted a number of articles and studies under "discussions" and "notes", including one recently entitled Adverse events diagnosed within three days of Vaccine Administration in Dogs from the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Vol 227, No. 7, October 1, 2005 .

#126 ·
Vaccines -- Adverse Events within Three Days JAVMA 10/1/05

The quotes in red below are from the attached scientific report covering adverse events within 3 days of vaccination in dogs over the course of 2 years. Reports of dogs having vaccinal adverse reactions within the same time frame were not included if heartworm medication had been administered along with the vaccines. This study did not include adverse reactions such as development of fibrosarcomas and/or other conditions which take longer than 3 days to develop.

Moore, George E. et als., Adverse events diagnosed within three days of Vaccine Administration in Dogs, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Vol 227, No. 7, October 1, 2005

Animals—1,226,159 dogs vaccinated at 360 veterinary hospitals.

Results—4,678 adverse events (38.2/10,000 dogs vaccinated) were associated with administration of 3,439,576 doses of vaccine to 1,226,159 dogs. The VAAE rate decreased significantly as body weight increased. Risk was 27% to 38% greater for neutered versus sexually intact dogs and 35% to 64% greater for dogs approximately 1 to 3 years old versus 2 to 9 months old. The risk of a VAAE significantly increased as the number of vaccine doses administered per office visit increased; each additional vaccine significantly increased risk of an adverse event by 27% in dogs ≤ 10 kg (22 lb) and 12% in dogs > 10 kg.

Conclusions and Clinical Relevance—Young adult small-breed neutered dogs that received multiple vaccines per office visit were at greatest risk of a VAAE within 72 hours after vaccination.

Records for dogs that received both an injectable heartworm preventive and a vaccine during the same office visit were not included in analyses.

Population—In the 2-year study period, 4,531,837 vaccine doses were administered to 1,537,534 dogs at 360 veterinary hospitals.

Among breeds with 5,000 or more dogs vaccinated, Dachshund, Pug, Boston Terrier, Miniature Pinscher, and Chihuahua breeds had the highest rates of VAAEs with 121.7, 93.0, 83.8, 76.4, and 76.1 adverse events/10,000 dogs vaccinated, respectively (Table 1). The VAAE rate for mixed-breed dogs was in the bottom quintile of all rates.

The VAAE rates decreased significantly as body weight increased (P for trend < 0.001; Figure 1). For all vaccines or for rabies vaccine alone, the VAAE rate for 10.1- to 45.0-kg (22.2- to 99.0-lb) dogs was approximately half the rate for dogs that weighed 0 to 10.0 kg (0 to 22.0 lb; P < 0.001; Figure 2). For rabies vaccine administered alone, VAAE rates/10,000 dogs that weighed 0 to 10.0 kg, 10.1 to 45.0 kg, and > 45 kg were 32.1 (222/69,178), 15.3 (69/45,088), and 0.0 (0/1,966), respectively.

The risk of a VAAE significantly increased as the number of vaccines administered per office visit increased (P for trend < 0.001).

In all dogs, each additional vaccine administered per office visit increased the rate of a VAAE by 24.2%; the rate increase was significantly (P <0.001) greater in dogs that weighed 0 to 10.0 kg, compared with dogs that weighed 0.1 to 45.0 kg (27.3% vs 11.5%, respectively; Figure 4). The 3 dogs with recorded deaths each had received ≥ 4 vaccines at their last office visit.

The lowest rate was observed with parenteral administration of Bordetella vaccine (15.4/10,000; 82 VAAEs/53,238 doses), and the highest rate was observed with Borrelia (Lyme disease) vaccine (43.7/10,000; 132 VAAEs/30,201 doses).

The risk of a VAAE in this study population was inversely related to a dog’s weight.

Factors known to cause vaccine reactions include the primary vaccine agent or antigen, adjuvants, preservatives, stabilizers, and residues from tissue cultures used in vaccine production.

The overall formulation of various vaccine components (eg, antigen, adjuvants, and diluent) is proprietary information that was unavailable for analysis in our study; thus, the variation in VAAE rates among single-antigen vaccines
may not be solely attributable to the primary vaccine antigen.

... because of genetic heterogeneity, the relatively low VAAE rate observed in mixed-breed dogs suggests that laboratory safety trials that use such dogs may underestimate the VAAE rates that would occur in purebred dogs. This is important because purebred dogs comprise at least two thirds of the US dog population.

The risk of allergic reaction has been reported to increase after the third or fourth injection of a vaccine (ie, a booster response).

Neutering appeared to increase risk of a VAAE more than sex. Females mount stronger immune responses after vaccination or infection than males because of a dimorphic enhancing effect of estrogens and a protective effect of androgens.

#128 ·
San Diego Pet Vaccination Seminar with Drs. W. Jean Dodds and Ronald Schultz

A vaccine seminar will be held in San Diego, California on March 28, 2010, and world-renowned veterinary vaccine research scientists, Drs. W. Jean Dodds and Ronald Schultz, will be the featured speakers at this all-day event. More information on the seminar can be found at http://www.petseminar.org/ .

New Website Design & Facebook Page

The Rabies Challenge Fund website has been completely redesigned www.RabiesChallengeFund.org and important vaccine data for pet owners has been added. The RCF has also joined the Facebook community http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rabies-Challenge-Fund/119106981159?v=wall&ref=ts , where vaccine data is posted under "Discussions."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.