The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: New "WHITE" Canvas bumpers????

Default New "WHITE" Canvas bumpers????

Anyone have any info on how to keep them white ??????Seems there should be something to put on them so as to keep them from turning that non descript MuddyGrey color after a few tosses??? Using a Retriever Trainer at present time...Bought one of the remote trainer holding stands, works well.. THANKS

white upolstery paint but not sure how it will affect the dogs smell and if it will be bad for them in anyway.
    Dogtra Field Staff
    www.dogtra.com
    Powered by Euk Sport

I don't have an answer, but do you have flags attached to them? I find that these make the bumpers much more visible and create a much higher level of excitement in the dogs.
    He's got a little Mississippi Leg-Hound in him. Once he starts though, it's best to just let him finish.

Quote Originally Posted by main View Post
    Anyone have any info on how to keep them white ??????Seems there should be something to put on them so as to keep them from turning that non descript MuddyGrey color after a few tosses??? Using a Retriever Trainer at present time...Bought one of the remote trainer holding stands, works well.. THANKS
    I guess we all have the same or a similar problem with the white canvas. I recently changed over all my white canvas bumpers to all rubber ones in white and black/white...also bought one of the Hex bumpers in black/white just to try it out. They seem to work just as well as the canvas for throwing and can be hosed off when they get muddy or nasty. I do, however, still use orange canvas for blinds.

Hello,

Bumper Boy used to sell small bumpers that I think worked with a Retriever Trainer. I don't know if they still sell them. Not their big bumpers for the BB launchers. Small ones and they were made of foam.

I've painted my old BB dummies, seemed to work OK, it takes awhile for the paint smell to wear off. That was with "normal" spray paint.

I saw that Lowes sells latex spray paint in the basic colors, never tried it though.

I don't think there's any way to clean canvas bumpers, but I don't think you really need them clean either, maybe you could cover them in a small white cloth bag if you want them to be visible.

Good luck,
    John Lash

i don't clean my canvas bumpers BUT my regular bumpers get soaked in bleach and water for 24 hrs on occasion

try the washing machine