RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Head Swinging

5K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Gun_Dog2002 
#1 ·
I was hoping someone would add some advise on head swinging. My 26 MO SH was ready about 2 mos ago to make a run at getting his MH this spring. About 1 1/2 months ago his marking fell completely off, to the point that I have cancelled my plans for any MH hunt tests this spring until I can fix the problem.

Being a novice at this and the dog being very subtle about it I did not notice the source of the problem until last weekend. I believe it is that the dog is head swinging "BADLY'. I need to fix this. Anybody got suggestions on how to correct and fix this. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Singles off multiple guns is always good. As well, I would put the gun stations wide wide apart. I would put them about the same distance at first and use bumpers for all of them. I would slow way down and encourage the head swing. If the dog does head swing, I would give a slight sit, stick correction on a sit command and rethrow another bumper. Send the dog. As the dog gets better at this, I would then move one station in much closer to increase the tempation, perhaps using a bird at that station. Eventually i would tighten up the marks to increase difficulty as well.

I would also do a 3 bumper yard drill to teach the dog to focus on one pile with the other piles present. We want him to learn to focus on the one thing and only move when you move your leg.

/Paul

#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·
I had an issue with this a year ago, I stopped running so many multiples and ran only 1 multiple for every 15-20 singles. Singles off 3-4 guns for sure, and even a short gunner standing in a wide open field to give the dog the option to headswing. I would correct the dog by using a heal, nick, heal command when it swung it's head as gave the dog lots of time to think about headswinging before being released. Rushing to release the dog before it swings is not the idea, but give the dog time to focus, slow down, and be a team player. I would also be fair to the dog and keep the gunners wide to start and throw birds if you can with another bird thrown if the dog swings, don't reward the dog for poor habits, throw another, or maybe better put the dog up and run it later on. This would work well on a very birdy type of dog.

#6 ·
Another drill is walking singles. Dog and handler stays at the same line, gunner with a starter pistel/ shot gun with poppers etc. walks in the field at different distances and angles, throws the bird and than moves to a different part of the field after the dog picks up the mark. You can ware white coats and really stretch them out.

#7 ·
Ty4:

Explain the logic in that?

Thanks

#8 · (Edited)
I had the same problem and running singles did cure it. I was already entered in a hunt test out of state and the entire week before all I ran was singles. I was entered in the Senior and Master for that test. He nailed the triple in master and both doubles in senior.
________
Marijuana vaporizers

#11 ·
Here's another drill you can try. Have a gunner go in the field, and as soon as they throw the bird, the gunner walks away. The bird/bumper is still in the air as they walk away. Teaches the dog to focus on the BIRD and not the gunner. If the dog swings away, I send them immediately. After some long, tedious hunts the dog figures s/he better watch the bird and not the gunner.

Primarily though I use singles off multiples. If you are doing a multiple set up, make sure that YOU are the reason the dog turns his head, count to at least 3 before you turn the dog, then signal for the next bird. If the dog turns his head on his own, make him refocus on the original mark.

Kris

#13 ·
Here's another drill you can try. Have a gunner go in the field, and as soon as they throw the bird, the gunner walks away. The bird/bumper is still in the air as they walk away. Teaches the dog to focus on the BIRD and not the gunner. If the dog swings away, I send them immediately. After some long, tedious hunts the dog figures s/he better watch the bird and not the gunner.

Kris

I personally don't like doing this. IMHO this is a trick designed to setup the dog for a correction unfairly. I much prefer to set a test the dog can succeed with, then correct if he disobeys. My personal preference.

/Paul

#14 ·
Thanks Everyone! The guys I train with said I had run too many multiples (doubles and triples) and that I needed to run a bunch of singles.

I have been putting that into action but I just wanted another opinion.

John Broucek a friend of mine, one of the training group (actually the patriarch of the group and mentor to all of us) and one heck of a trainer said verbatim what Misty Marsh said.

I'm new at this and have done more with this dog than I ever thought I could but now I'm addicted and want more so we are trying to get the MH title. I feel certain we can get it once we get over this hump.

He already has his SH. Not bad for my first dog and a dog out of the want ads with absolutely no HT, FT or WCX pedigree at all.

I've become so addicted I'll be picking up a new pup May 15th. This one will have a bit better pedigree. Texas Watermarks Bonnie x Ten bears Road Trip.

I like posting here because evryone is always so helpful and if and when I can I offer what little bit of knowledge I have when I can.

#17 ·
Doug,that is a good drill to teach the dog to mark the area of fall and not mark off the gun,it still isn't the best approach for headswinging,i think singles off multiple guns is a better approach,just my opinion:D

#19 ·
I agree with you. It's not meant to address head swinging. I just didn't like Paul refering to it as a bad drill.

Singles off multiple guns is the best for head swinging to change the dog's expectations. Even doing singles, have the short gun standing with a bird in his hand like he is going to throw it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.