The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Split cycle??

Default Split cycle??

Has anyone dealt with this condition? My female, who has never been bred, has been in her cycle for about 13 or 14 days now. We have had a few progesterone tests with the last two remaining at .55. the vet thinks it could be a split heat because her number isn't rising as it would normally. She has been spotting without much change for the entire time. Any clear signs that this could be going on? I have had 4 tests and I am not sure if I should have a 5th. Any advice is welcome.

Banned

I have one that has split heats. She is ALWAYS fertile on the SECOND split, usualyy about a month from the first. I also have one that takes about 10 days longer for her level to spike or rise. If this is her first heat I would keep testing till she spikes or goes out.

Some stall out midway and/or are just very late ovulators. Mine are rarely ready to breed much before their 15th day. Do you have any other dogs around? I attended a repro seminar last year, and have been watching behavior very closely here (I have all females, fortunately!), and so far, the guidelines we were presented have been helpful. Provided they all get along, which mine do, you'll usually see the one in season stand for the others around 2-3 ng. She will actually try to mount another at 3-4 ng. Not until >5ng (considered point of ovulation) will she normally entice or stand for the males. If you really want to breed her, I'd stick w/ the testing every few days. I do think the stress of continuous blood letting at the vet's can cause some to stall though.

I am wondering if I shouldn't just stop with the testing and let this heat go. I don't want to give up as I have people that want pups and I also want to know for future breeding with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasanthunter41 View Post
    Has anyone dealt with this condition? My female, who has never been bred, has been in her cycle for about 13 or 14 days now. We have had a few progesterone tests with the last two remaining at .55. the vet thinks it could be a split heat because her number isn't rising as it would normally. She has been spotting without much change for the entire time. Any clear signs that this could be going on? I have had 4 tests and I am not sure if I should have a 5th. Any advice is welcome.
    continue testing, she could be a late ovulator or she could be having a non-ovulatory cycle

My bitch Amy has split her seasons since she was about 14 mo. old. Seems to happen with the first cycle each year and as a result, she misses most of the trials in our Spring circuit.
    A definite bummer!
    Suzanne B