The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough Year So Far!

Default Tough Year So Far! Emergency Animal Hospital Visit

As some of you are aware that I lost my 2 year old BLF last month in an accident. Very tragic. Then my wife is admitted into the hospital with a very rare condition which is very curable and not life threatening but very long and painful. Through all of this everyone is holding it together. Tough but ok.

Now last week I was away on business in Europe and I get a call from my wife saying that our 10 year old BLF is acting weird. Weak, vomiting, not eating ect ect. I ask her to look at her gums and she tells me there white! I ask her to rush her to the emergency animal hospital asap {white or pale gums usually means interior blood loss}. She does and the vet on call checks her out and tells us that her spleen has ruptured and is enlarged and that because of her age and blood loss that she needed to be put down. After talking to my wife (this is her dog) we decide to have the surgery. We figure what do we have to lose besides the $3500!. She needed a transfusion before the surgery and another after. She made it through the surgery and also through the night. The next morning the doctor called me and again said that she needed to be put down that she wasn't recovering as quickly as she should. I asked him about her blood count and he said that it was increasing. I told the doc that if her blood count is getting better and if she is not in pain than why would I put her down? I told the doctor to keep her on the IV and O2 for another day and check her blood count that night and again in the morning. The doctor says she wonít make it through the night and that what I was doing was inhumane. Next morning, dog didnít die. Still lethargic but blood count steadily increasing. Now the hospital doctor calls my local vet at tells him to talk to me and have me put the dog down. Remember I'm in Europe. My vet calls me and tells me that he hasn't seen the dog but that the other vet is adamant that the dog should be put down. I ask my vet if thatís the case then can I bring her home to die and if things get bad my vet will come to the house and put her down. My vet says itís ok and makes the call to the hospital vet. My wife heads up to the hospital and the hand her a 6000 bill and make her sign a release saying the dog is basically dead and in a coma. She signs it and takes her home. An hour later the dog is up and walking. By the end of the day the dog is drinking. She makes it through the night and the next day eats and pees. Yesterday she pooped and is into full recovery mode. Sill weak but certainly not dead or dying for sure. I get home Friday night and she's doing great. I ended up taking her to my vet yesterday to get post operation care (like removing the IV still in her leg) since the hospital gave us nothing and to get her checked out. Our vet said he was very glad that we didnít listen to the hospital vet and gave us antibiotics. The dog is doing great>>>>>> Go figure.

One negative thing though, the spleen had cancer, but the good news is that it hadn't spread and was not in the liver or in the body cavity. Anyone have any experience with hemangiosarcomas. We might have caught it early enough, hard to say. The vet says she may live for up to six months if the cancer spreads and if we caught it up to a few years. Taking each day as a blessing.

Picked up Lilly's ashes yesterday while at the vet.

As some of you know I am/was trying to find another pup but although I found quite a few had a hard time pulling the trigger. Maybe I just didnít find the right pup. I am still looking and if anyone has a line on a black or yellow NFC litter please PM me. Thanks.

Oh yeah, I quit smoking yesterday too.

D.J.
    Last edited by D. Province; 04-27-2008 at 11:21 AM.

I am so glad your girl is making a recovery - BTW what is her name? Sorry for your loss of Lilly.....maybe Lilly is your older dog's guardian angel!

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Sophia.... and thank you. I think you may be right about the angel thing.

I want everyone to understand the issue about the color of a dogs gums. Can anyone explain better.....I don't think many people understand, then again maybe everyone does and I'm just slow.....

One of my labs, Lucy had a hemangioscarcoma. We did surgery and everything looked good. Biopsies were sent off and it came back as negative for cancer cells. BUT my vet warned me that even though the biopsies were negative not to get up my hopes. Lucy did great for about 6 weeks post surgery. Then she started having seizures - vet thought the cancer may have spread to her brain. Then she started to bleed out in her abdominal cavity and I had her put down.

Sorry I don't have a good experience to relay to you. I certainly hope that your girl's outcome is a good one.

Cherish everyday that you have with her and I hope you have many.

Andy
    Andy

"You can't win until you are not afraid to lose."

Luckydux Cheese And Quackers CD MH - Briezy (7/20/99-4/4/14)
    FTCH AFTCH Luckydux Drakehaven Hot Ticket*** - Ticket
    Luckydux Gave Her Momma Forty Quacks - Lizzie
    Luckydux Quacker Jaxx WC JH - Jaxxy
    Luckydux Graham Quacker WC JH -Graham
    Luckydux Penny In A Parking Lot - Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Carlson View Post
    One of my labs, Lucy had a hemangioscarcoma. We did surgery and everything looked good. Biopsies were sent off and it came back as negative for cancer cells. BUT my vet warned me that even though the biopsies were negative not to get up my hopes. Lucy did great for about 6 weeks post surgery. Then she started having seizures - vet thought the cancer may have spread to her brain. Then she started to bleed out in her abdominal cavity and I had her put down.

Andy

Mine only made it 3 months after the surgery and his hadn't even ruptured. Average is 3-6 months.

Kathleen

I want everyone to understand the issue about the color of a dogs gums. Can anyone explain better.....
    A dogs' gums are pink-red. When they don't have enough red blood cells they are anemic and their gums are pale to white. If a dog doesn't have enough red blood cells he can't get oxygen and the heart has to work harder. Check your dogs' gums once a week. It can happen quickly, I know. You have to be assertive with ER's acting as your dogs' advocate.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

More bad news: hemangioscarcoma is terminal. That is because the cancer is systemic and it is in her blood stream. A new tumor is growing and it could attack her lungs, liver or brain. She has between 2 weeks to a year.

This happened to 2 of my dogs. One of them lived another 6 weeks. The other for several months.

The good news: she will not feel ill until the cancer cell has reached a critical mass. At that point you will know to put her down.

Don't know what to suggest regarding a new dog. Trust your feelings. If you don't have the heart to look at this time, hold off till your world seems more settled.

Hope your wife's recovery will be swift. She probably needs your full attention at this time.

Good luck!
    Pheasanttomeetyou

Refine Your Awareness

Here is a link that may be helpful, concerning becoming an advocate for your dog with cancer:

http://www.fcrsainc.org/resources/ar.../advocate.html

I am glad that your dog is feeling better!
    Martha Lancaster, Georgetown, TX

thats a lot to go through when your out of town. Glad to hear she's doing good.

I figure at 6k for the surgery, every day she makes it the cost keeps spreading out further. Were at 1K a day.

I was told the terminal data. And like I said in my first post, we are taking each day as a blessing.

It is good to be home after 2 weeks away.