The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Rubber Boots - Need some help.

Default Rubber Boots - Need some help.

Ok I have these pair of LaCrosse rubber boots (ATS Burly) -- once on they fit well, but gosh darn are they a pain in the neck to put on or take off. I mean I guess my calves and ankles are too big for the upper portion of the boots. Surely they are not supposed to be that snug.

What does everyone do? Or should I just return them and try another manufacturer like Muck? Any suggestions on an easy to put on and comfortable rubber boot? Non-ankle fit?

I have a pair of Bogs, knee-length, and they are like wearing a pair of running shoes straight out of the box. I only wish I could wear them more often!
    JASON ADAMS

HR WILDROSE REMINGTON'S GUNNER JH - Gunner
    TTF REDLEG ARCHER OF REMINGTON - Archer

mine does the same thing and there one size bigger for thick socks. I step on the back of one to semi break it loose and then on the other and try to get out of this boobie trap. I also have been known to leave them on until I got home and have the wife give me a hand. Don't expect to get out of them in a hurry so be careful. I also have the rubber snake boots and I have no problem getting them off they don't have that much suction on the ankle area. I have a normal D size foot so it's not a big ankle thing.
    Dogtra Field Staff
    www.dogtra.com
    Powered by Euk Sport

Quote Originally Posted by caglatz View Post
    Ok I have these pair of LaCrosse rubber boots (ATS Burly) -- once on they fit well, but gosh darn are they a pain in the neck to put on or take off. I mean I guess my calves and ankles are too big for the upper portion of the boots. Surely they are not supposed to be that snug.

What does everyone do? Or should I just return them and try another manufacturer like Muck? Any suggestions on an easy to put on and comfortable rubber boot? Non-ankle fit?
    Go to a western wear store and buy a boot jack. I have one in the house and the truck for the Cabela's knee boots I use. I like them because they are a snug fit around my foot and ankle and I can walk a lot in them w/o my foot moving.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

To some extent they are meant to be snug so they don't get sucked off your foot in muck and mire. The key is whether they are comfortable once on, if they are then the bootjack or a little baby powder in the boots will help getting them on and off.
    Dennis McConnell
    Warwick, NY

Thank you everyone -- I'm actually going to exchange them for a one size larger Muck boot as the LaCrosse just didn't fit quite right even when on. They were comfortable but the top, ankle are seemed too compressed. I understand the "ankle fit" design to help in the mud - its just not what I was looking for. Thanks to everyone for their help.

doesn't anyone slip an empty plastic bread bag on over the sock before you put your boot on like Grandma used to make us do?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I remember that Ken - but that was to make the boot "waterproof" not to slip on easier.

Around the corral I wear Much Chikana boots- very comfy and ok at medium temps-- now going to light hunting boots- i have both LaCrosse and Goodyear boots but like ankle height-going to Gr Britain tonite and will look for some Blundstones- i really like them.