The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Challenge

Default Request for Help

After learning some surprising news this week about another person on this list, I would like to challenge everyone on this list to do something positive whenever there is negativity in your life. This list provides a great tool for sharing our successes, failures, and lessons learned through trial and error. I appreciate the participation by so many and would like to request people register for the Bone Marrow registry in support of another member and all those awaiting Bone Marrow transplants.

To become a member of the Bone Marrow Registry program is easy and painless (DNA swabs JUST like AKC!

For more information:
    http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_...try/index.html
    Last edited by HuntsmanTollers; 05-06-2008 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Huntsman Tollers
    Matt & Julie Martin

challenge accepted. I've been meaning to do this for way too long. I even started the application and got sidetracked. Thanks for the reminder to go back in and complete it!
    Ron
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.

You are welcome and thanks for taking the time to register. I had previously registered but after hearing the surprising news earlier this week I have updated my contact information with the database. Unfortunately, the bad news just keeps coming in, my training partner's nephew has been reported missing this morning while out turkey hunting in the St Louis area. So now I am using this as a way to honor TWO list members in need.
    Huntsman Tollers
    Matt & Julie Martin

I registered probably 4 years ago, at the place where I donate blood...which is another positive thing that people can easily do, and which can and does save lives.
    Yesterday
    OTCH U-OCH Aurum's Vintage Vixen UDX3 TDX NA NAJ SH WCX VCX OD
    OTCH U-UD Vintage Timeless Raindrop UDX2 TD SH AX OAJ WCX OBHF OD
    U-CDX Aurum's Vintage Dubl Trouble UDX TDX JH WC
    Vintage Irrepressible CDX MH WCX
    Today
    HRCH Vintage Diamond In The Rough UD TD MH WCX
    HR Vintage Fire 'N Ice UDX TD SH WCX
    HR Vintage Evening Emerald CD MH
    Tomorrow
    Vintage Sapphire

The Golden Retriever: This dog will hunt!

Huntsman Tollers, Thanks for the post, always wanted to do this but never took the time and kept getting side tracked. My father died waiting for a kidney transplant and I was unable to donate a kidney to him so maybe this way since I wasn't able to help him out (or others) I can help out someone in need so they don't have to go through a loss. I do donate blood so I will add this to the list of things to do.
    Sorry to hear about your friends nephew. I hope they find him soon.
    JoAnn Stancer
    Sandspring Chesapeakes
    MySpace Blog:
    http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ndID=442677052

To live for today

I just completed my registery and the kit they will be sending is free since I was one of 10,000 people they are trying to get registered on line during their promotion: During our Thanks Mom awareness and recruitment campaign, May 5 to May 19, 2008, join the marrow donor Registry and give hope to patients. What better way to say “Thanks, Mom” for giving you life than to share that gift with another person.

Makes me feel good now.
    JoAnn Stancer
    Sandspring Chesapeakes
    MySpace Blog:
    http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ndID=442677052

To live for today

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by normanj View Post
    What better way to say “Thanks, Mom” for giving you life than to share that gift with another person.

Makes me feel good now.
    What a great sentiment!
    Huntsman Tollers
    Matt & Julie Martin

After losing one of my college friend's 2 yrs ago to leukemia at the age of 27, and now this year, another friend I have known since childhood, has lymphoma and is awaiting a bone marrow transplant, I have wanted to add my name to the registry. Like everyone else, I got side-tracked and didn't do it. But I did it today - for free! Thank you for the much needed reminder!!!

I would encourage everyone to register. I registered many years ago while I was donating blood, in June of 1999 I got a phone call telling me I may be a match for someone with non hogkins lymphoma (not sure if spelled that right) and if I would be willing to be a possible donor and do some further testing to see if it is a strong enough match. Well how do you say no to possibly saving someones life. After giving tube after tube of blood on a monthly basis it was determined that I was a match and was asked if I would go through with the donation. Of course I said yes, even though I was graduating from College that December and had a whole lot of stuff on my plate.

The procedure took place November 12, 1999. I must say it is not a cake walk, they remove the marrow from your hip just below your lower back with a really big needle. They told me they took about a liter if I remember correctly. The recovery does take a while, and it is very uncomfortable. But, it was so worth it. All this is done anonymous, the only thing you and the recipient know about each other is the sex and age of each other. It isn't until one year after the procedure can you contact each other. We have never met in person but have spoken several times (usually on the date she received the marrow). It is a great and humbling experience and I recommend it to everyone to register.

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    I would encourage everyone to register. I registered many years ago while I was donating blood, in June of 1999 I got a phone call telling me I may be a match for someone with non hogkins lymphoma (not sure if spelled that right) and if I would be willing to be a possible donor and do some further testing to see if it is a strong enough match. Well how do you say no to possibly saving someones life. After giving tube after tube of blood on a monthly basis it was determined that I was a match and was asked if I would go through with the donation. Of course I said yes, even though I was graduating from College that December and had a whole lot of stuff on my plate.

The procedure took place November 12, 1999. I must say it is not a cake walk, they remove the marrow from your hip just below your lower back with a really big needle. They told me they took about a liter if I remember correctly. The recovery does take a while, and it is very uncomfortable. But, it was so worth it. All this is done anonymous, the only thing you and the recipient know about each other is the sex and age of each other. It isn't until one year after the procedure can you contact each other. We have never met in person but have spoken several times (usually on the date she received the marrow). It is a great and humbling experience and I recommend it to everyone to register.
    I can't find the words to adequately express my admiration. That is a truly remarkable experience.
    Mark