The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A very expensive lesson

Default A very expensive lesson

This past weekend I NQ'd my dog in the senior; I know the rules, but when standing on the line, sometimes I don't do the right thing. In this case I was running a fairly straightforward water blind (this would complete my dog's SH); I use a cadence to send my dogs: dead bird, that's it, right there, back. I choked on the "back" and it came out garbled. My dog started forward and stopped about three feet in front of me; if I had been thinking clearly, I would have either given him a verbal back cast, or sat him and given him the cast. I reheeled him (maybe he reheeled himself-I don't remember) and recast him thus NQing him.

I can tell you right now, this is one hard learned lesson I won't forget again. It seems like every time I go to the line I learn something new about myself or my dog; this is why I'm running my young dog in both master and senior stakes although he might not be quite ready for master (but he ran in all three series this last weekend). We're both learning as we go
    Christine

An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger.
    Dan Rather

I judged a Senior test in Louisiana last weekend, and had to drop a friend of mine's dog because she did exactly the same thing. The dog took about a step and a half, stopped, and turned to look back at her. Had she given a verbal back or blown a sit whistle and cast the dog back, she would have been fine, but she re-heeled him for a recast.

It's a tough thing, but I think it's safe to say that we've all made something like that kind of bad call when we were in the heat of the moment. More than once, I caught my dog Trap carrying a "New Handler Wanted" sign in the gallery after I screwed up at a Master test.
    Yesterday
    OTCH U-OCH Aurum's Vintage Vixen UDX3 TDX NA NAJ SH WCX VCX OD
    OTCH U-UD Vintage Timeless Raindrop UDX2 TD SH AX OAJ WCX OBHF OD
    U-CDX Aurum's Vintage Dubl Trouble UDX TDX JH WC
    Vintage Irrepressible CDX MH WCX
    Today
    HRCH Vintage Diamond In The Rough UD TD MH WCX
    HR Vintage Fire 'N Ice UDX TD SH WCX
    HR Vintage Evening Emerald CD MH
    Tomorrow
    Vintage Sapphire

The Golden Retriever: This dog will hunt!

Oooooh, I feel your pain. I had the same thing happen once!!! Thankfully I did the back cast and wrote myself training note (that I'll never have to re-read of course!) to USE NORMAL VOICE on blinds! I'm pretty sure I sounded like a baby lamb.... Always wondered why there was no allowance for confusion by the dog on a blind unless they just wanted to trip up clutching owners????

Everyone makes mistakes, experience is what you take from mistakes. Last year a pro had to borrow a whistle for he had left his in his truck and didn't realize it until he was in the last holding blind.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Everyone has the opportunity to take one of two things from a test......a ribbon or a lesson....sometimes if you are lucky,both!
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Well put Vicky.

I saw that same thing happen to a guy in a Master Test last spring. The judge considered it "confusion", and the dog passed the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post
    Everyone has the opportunity to take one of two things from a test......a ribbon or a lesson....sometimes if you are lucky, both!
    Yes indeed, if you take neither then it has been a waste.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

I saw a gentleman who i believe is a fine handler at a field trial try to send his dog, boomed out her name, she jumped but didn't take a step. This gentleman shook his head, then sent the dog with a different name. Everything worked out fine, but he was sure embarassed.
    Chris Goeson

"Friends help you move, true friends help you move the bodies."

I released my first retriever for a mark with "BACK". With my current dog I release with his name and back is a cue I use in lining him up for a blind (i.e. back up.....)

The other day in training I said "BACK" for a mark... and he backed up....

I never worried about this happening in a test... until now......
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Dick has screamed NO in the middle of a water blind, also has given the BOVER cast, sent one dog on another's name, it happens to everyone.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."