RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

TT Pro G2 users

8K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  hooked on quackers 
#1 ·
I'm curious, I currently use a Pro100 G2 EXP but wonder what others around here are using in terms of TT gear.

I picked the 100 over the Flyway G2/Pro 200 G2 (they are one in the same minus tone right??) is I initially wanted more continious variety vs more nick variety. But as time went on for what I do I've been using more nicks than continious by just tapping the buttons. I know a nick is a lot faster than me pressing the continous button in/out...

i was wondering for the people who use the Flyway/Pro 200 why you chose this over the say Pro 100 G2. Meaning you must use more nicks than continious. What training program did you follow? Or reasoning for your choice.

I guess I followed Lardy's choice of the 100 but found myself thinking i should have gotten the Flyway (since its cheaper than the 200) since I seem to employ nicks and i rarely ever hit the "black" button on my tranmitter if at all.

#3 ·
And I am looking at the the Pro 200 or flyway because of the of momentary and the only difference between the flyway and the pro 200 is the tone a $30 dollar difference.

Speaking of Momentary and Continuous what is everyones preference.

#5 · (Edited)
I have used the flyway for a long time now, both the original and the G2 EXP. I find it is all I need. I also have a 500 original and like it too, but I find myself using the flyway more as it has everything I need. You can’t go wrong with either the 500 or the 200/flyway
I find that in most of my training I need nicks FAR more than burns……..FAR more, of course that depends on the dog and what level they are at. One reason I probably use less continuous stimulation is because most of my dogs are older and need more “reminders” rather then lessons taught. If you only have one or two dogs I am sure the flyway is more than enough, but if you have a good number of dogs at various stages of training you may want to look at the 500. 6 of one half dozen of the other regards

#7 ·
I use the flyway. I have had all the models, (the 100, 200, and 500).

I don't use the tone, so there was no reason for the 200 over the flyway.

I really like the flyway over the 500, because I have all the buttons and can consistantly react to the dog and the level of the infraction withoug having to make any changes to the transmitter. I have a low, med or high nick or even a burn with the continuous without having to make any changes.

#9 · (Edited)
I am considering selling my Pro 100 G2 to a good friend (who owns a GSP and uses more low level continious) and considered going over to the Flyway G2 since I use nicks the majority of the time. I never use tone (hence save the $30 for gas!). The only time I tap the tone button is to test the system to make sure its working but I rarely even do that. I do not employ tone in my training.

The 500 G2 is nice and all but its more than i ever would need or use. Like I said, I rarely use the "red" button so to me I'd spend that money on something else. Plus just having the "red" button for emergency or a total disregard to a command is still nice to have right then and there rather than flipping switches. I know i'm being anal about it but...

I don't know many people that have the Flyway G2, most just buy the Pro 200 G2 for whatever reason. I mean it is the same transmitter minus tone and the Flyway has different colors/collars. Why do they say the Flyway is for the "waterfowler"? ;)

#10 ·
I have the Pro 200 -- when my pup went through CC I wish I had more continous (burn) levels - but we managed. Now I'm happy with the additional momentary (nick) levels. The nick levels are much faster than your quickest burn. Like everyone said the Pro 500 is the grandaddy of them all. I like the Pro 200 for the tone feature as well -- I use it as a "silent" (to the handler or hunting party) recall. The dog hears beep, beep, beep - and quarters back to me. I had a problem with my G2 receiver breaking where the strap slides through and TT fixed it under warranty - no questions asked with new receiver - there and back within a week. Their customer service is tops.

#14 ·
I had a problem with my G2 receiver breaking where the strap slides through and TT fixed it under warranty - no questions asked with new receiver - there and back within a week. Their customer service is tops.
I just mailed back my Pro 200 G2 transmitter yesterday. It's still under warranty, but it was damaged and not due to any product malfunction. I was very clear about this when I called, but as a "one time courtesy" they're replacing it for free. The person I spoke with was very pleasant. I'll agree with the above-customer service IS tops.

M

#11 ·
I use the tone feature a lot. We do a lot of upland hunting in the fall. If you take a day and train your dogs that the tone feature is the same as your come in whistle you will scare a lot less birds. In addition, you won't look like a idiot to your friends. Also I can call in what ever dog is wandering to far out instead of using the whistle and have them all come in.

#21 ·
I use the tone feature a lot. In addition, you won't look like a idiot to your friends. Also I can call in what ever dog is wandering to far out instead of using the whistle.
That is also why we use the tone at the hunting lease.

I just mailed back my Pro 200 G2 transmitter yesterday. It's still under warranty, but it was damaged and not due to any product malfunction. I was very clear about this when I called, but as a "one time courtesy" they're replacing it for free. The person I spoke with was very pleasant. I'll agree with the above-customer service IS tops.

M
Miriam what happened to your transmitter?

#12 ·
I have a Flyway as I prefer the nicks to the continuous for most training situations but still have continuous when needed. Also, no matter how long I hold that button down, the dog only gets a nick; when I'm frustrated I'm liable to hold the button down longer and don't want to do that to my dogs. As for the 500, with only two dogs, I don't think the extra $$$ is worth it. One of my training buddies got a 100 despite the rest of us campaigning for her to get a Flyway/200; the reason is that she is a bit heavy on the buttons and thus tends to fry her dog inappropriatly.

#15 ·
wow, TT customer service is top notch, i hear these incredible stories about them helping customers all the time, very nice.

my buddies who run labs all seem to have the Pro 200s and a few pointing buddies use the Pro 100s and other brands like DT and Dogtra. But its interesting that the lab people I run into always have a TT in their back pocket or holster.

Its amazing how important an electric collar is today. Sometimes I wonder if its "in" to have one of these tools. I don't know?! But its amazing how many people have them. I have yet to meet anyone with the 500 G2. Strange huh? I have talked to people who own them but no one in person yet.

My friend's father still has a TT Judge+ and uses it on his lab. But he just bought a Pro 200 G2 at Cabela's but it goes to show these things last the test of time.

#17 ·
I CC'd my current campaigning derby dog with an older style Flyway special. I have been using a G2 EXP 500 for about a year and am extremely happy with it.

I have found TT's customer service and responsiveness to be world class.

Shadow, as an alias, I'm not sure just who you are....maybe we have spoken in person already. If so, you HAVE talked with someone who uses a 500 G2~!!

;)

Chris

#19 ·
Shadow, as an alias, I'm not sure just who you are....maybe we have spoken in person already. If so, you HAVE talked with someone who uses a 500 G2~!!

;)

Chris
sorry i don't think so :confused:

If i had more than one lab in training i'd definitly look at the 500 but i only have one and don't see myself getting another dog anytime soon. she is still young at 1.5yrs old.

#20 ·
FWIW

I believe that the difference in levels on the TT's and other systems is done with manipulation of a combination of amplitude, pulse width, and duration. meaning that the fifference between a 2 low and 3 low is probably amplitude (voltage). BUT the medium and high is achieved by making the nick just a little longer duration but at the same voltage as a low. not sure if i'm making any sense. granted TT will not tell how they do it but I think I'm on track.

So I would think that it would be fully acceptable to just use the pro 100 by tapping the stim to create a nick. unless you just like to spend money I would use what you have and buy a winger or something.

It is assumed that you will not be able to recreate the exact "nick" every time but I am not sure that would be an issue. I'm pretty sure you can't apply the exact same amount of pressure with the heeling stick or ear pinch every time either.

#22 ·
does anyone know a complete history of the TT line from 1970-2008? i'm just curious. I just met a guy yesterday who still uses a 100 Lite and he got it used at a local Feed Store who has other old school TT collars. I am just curious about how TT has evolved I guess. I know this is totally off topic but its interesting.

#23 ·
I am new to e-collar training but I did buy the Pro 500 G2 EXP because I knew that I was in the future going to have more than 1 dog. I also went with the 500 for its flexibility with all 18 levels of momentary & continuous. During different stages of training you may need to use continuous or momentary depending on the task. That mixxed with being able to fine tune the level of stimulation to your dog is what did it for me. I knew that I would not be stuck trying to sell the collar because it was not capable of performing a certain function & therefor spending the same or more after I had changed to a different collar.

Doug

#25 ·
I have the Pro 500 G2 NON EXP and am very very happy with it. I went with the non-exp because a few people I know with the exp model have had experiences where the toggle switch gets bumped from red to blue, or blue to black, etc. It does seem to switch positions very easily with minimal effort. I wouldn't want to think I'm nicking my dog in the box while my working dog is going uncorrected. Even if it happened just once that's too much for me. Anybody else have this occurance or ideas how to guarantee it won't happen?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.