RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How much would you charge?

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Rob G 
#1 · (Edited)
Let me start by saying that I am NOT a professional trainer...but I was wondering what some of you would charge to run somebody elses dog in a HT?

There is a guy that lives near me that heard about my dogs. He's come out to my place a couple of times to train with his dog. He recently approached me about running his dog in some AKC HT's for him.

I was not planning on running any of my own dogs this summer, but would change that if I were to run his. I have 3 dogs that should be ready for some JH passes and one MH if I were to decided to test them.

What would you think would be fair to charge for running his dog? The closest test from me would be about 600 miles round trip plus motel.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Rob

#3 ·
MAN!!!

If I was lucky enough for someone to offer to let me run their well trained dog in a HT---Well-----

I think I'd do it for a diet coke and a POP tart!!

I can only imagine what that must be like!:p

Gooser

#4 ·
Would you split expenses 50/50 regardless of how many dogs you were running (I'd be running 4 of my own to his 1) or would you split it up between dogs (charging him 1/5 of my expenses)?

The other issue is that his dog is not exactly well trained. I told him I would need to work his dog personally for at least a few weeks leading up to the test to insure that his dog was actually ready and to let the dog get used to me running him.

#9 · (Edited)
I would do 50/50. You and him. I wouldn't count the number of dogs.
I disagree... I would go with 50/50 if the friend came along. That way he could help with airing and feeding all the dogs. Plus he would probably would share a hotel room.

Since it's 5 of Rob's dogs to the friends 1 dog,,, his friends dog isn't nearly going to get the time spent with it. What is commonly done is expenses split among all the dogs. Also Rob you said that you offered to take your friends dog for some training before the event. Well since you are not a pro and he is your friend I would do it as a favor. Maybe he can return the favor in some way. Before I became a pro that's what I did. I'm not saying let him take advantage of you,,, I'm saying that by helping him out it will help you out down the road. Besides what are friends for....:D

If you feel that his dog is too much of a headache to run as a favor to him I'd pass on it.....

Angie

#7 ·
Although I've done it before, I would think twice about running someone else's dog...especially if the owner was not present. It is just a lot of responsibility IMO. What if something happened to the dog while you were out of town with the dog? Lots of stuff could happen while you were airing, etc. It sounds like he is a casual acquaintance. How would you like trying to explain to him why/how something happened to his dog while in your care? It is different from taking care of someone's dogs while they are out of town, because that is generally done at the dog owner's home (like feeding/watering their dogs and letting them out in their own fenced yard x times per day while the owner is gone). Travelling with and running a dog has greater risks than taking care of a dog at home IMO and it should not be entered into lightly when it is someone elses dog.

Then there is the respect factor which you already alluded to. A buddy of mine was supposed to go with me to run his dog in her first HT a couple of years ago. Then his back problems flared up and he figured 4 hours riding in my truck was not a good idea, so I ran the dog for him. She was not FF (I tried to talk him into that but he is too soft hearted) and although she picks up birds for him, she wouldn't pick them up for me. Both days she ran straight to the first mark and blinked the bird and that was that.

Without going into details, I was at a hunt test recently where a lady ran someone elses dog and the dog behaved in an entirely unpredictable manner and the lady who only had a split second to react, probably didn't react in the best way possible (especially per the AKC rules) and it could have resulted in either the dog or the handler (or both) being banned from future events. All in the course of doing a favor for a friend. That made me view this sort of thing in a different light as well.

I'm not saying don't do it under any circumstances, I'm just saying give it some serious thought before agreeing to do it. IMO it would be better to have him come with you (even if he is too nervous to hande the dog himself or fears that he doesn't know the rules well enough and wants you to handle the dog) and share expenses...that way he gets hooked on the sport too.

#8 · (Edited)
Those are some good thoughts and something I have already given some thought to. As for 'respect', one of the reasons he wants me to run his dog is that he lets his dog walk all over him, but his dog responds well to me. His dog needs a lot more work before I would agree to running him and I would need to insure that I spent a lot more one on one time training his dog prior to the test.

As for liability and responsibility for his dog's well being...I suppose there is a definite risk there, but I can only do the best I can.

As for 'charging a fee', I guess I'm looking more for 'reimbursment money' to cover my personal expenses. I wasn't planning on charging a 'handlers fee', just wanted to know what portion of my expenses I could reasonbly ask for him to cover. As you all know, the price of fuel is through the roof and this is a trip I would otherwise not be making, there is also wear and tear on my truck, lodging, meals, etc. However, since I could be making it, I might as well bring some of my own dogs along and get them tested at the same time...

#10 ·
He's actually more of an 'aquantence' than a 'friend'. I would definitly 'help' him out by training his dog for free prior to the test and running the dog in the test at no charge, but since this is a trip I would otherwise NOT be making, I do think my 'generosity' has some limits...specifically about $150 - $200 in fuel and lodging expenses (that I would definitely split in some fashion).

Basically it boils down to this. He has what he thinks/hopes to be a high powered 2 year old from a good pedigree. He lacks the skills necessary to properly train this dog for hunting/testing. The dog has spent some time with a pro earlier in his life and according to this guy was running at a SH level at one point. From what I've seen of the dog, I would have a VERY hard time believing that. He would like to put a JH title on this dog.

He likes my training methods and likes my dogs. He would like his own dog to do what I have my dogs doing. Therefore he has asked that I run his dog for him. I've tried to explain that it is the dog's training that will determine his success and I would be willing to have him come out to my place and do some 'group' training. He seems convinced that I am what his dog needs. I've offered to help him learn more about training his own dog so that he can enjoy running him in tests, but he seems convinced that he is incapable.

The biggest risk here is that this guy is convinced his dog is destined for 'greatness' simply due to his pedigree. I've tried to 'gently' explain that the pedigree is wonderful for locating a pup, but once you buy a dog it needs to be judged on its own merits, not on what his relatives did. He seems to be in awe of his dog and has developed a 'I'm not worthy' attitude. When I deal with his dog, I am no nonsense and his dog responds.

I don't think a few JH passes are beyond what this dog could do this year with a little work.

Getting back to my original question, what part of my EXPENSES should I ask he pay. If I were only to bring his dog, I would expect him to pay for ALL of my expenses (fuel, lodging). Since I COULD bring some of my own, I'd be willing to split the costs of travel, but I wasn't sure if it should be 50/50 or break it down by dog.

#11 ·
My opinion FWIW!

If you really had no intentions of running your dog's and are only making the trip at his request he is getting off easy at a 50/50 split for the gas and motel. We are not even getting into what the real cost is to run your rig down the road and your added expenses of eating out.
I don't know what price you value your time to get his dog ready, only you can answer that. I would also have a discussion about the responsibility for the dog's safety, dog's can be unpredictable and anything can happen. He should realize that from the git go.
As for extra renumeration, how bout if I get the pass you pay me the same dollar amount as the entry fee? Gives you the incentive to do your best and I would think it would show him that your going to give it your best.

He is still getting off way cheaper than he would with any pro.

Good luck

#12 ·
What is his excuse for not going along other than he doesn't want to run the dog? I would insist he come along, be responsible for the dog, and split the expenses in person since you were not planning on going, and be there to watch all the dog work to see where his dog is because he has unrealistic expectations. Something here is just not right which you have become aware of. If you go alone get money up front for gas at least and half the motel room and sign a simple contract as far as the concerns of the safety of the dog. If this were someone in a long time training group you would work it differently but being a stranger, you might end up on the losing end of your generosity. Splitting expenses is not accepting payment for training.

#13 ·
Let me start by saying that I am NOT a professional trainer...but I was wondering what some of you would charge to run somebody elses dog in a HT?

Rob
How much do you value your AKC amateur status? Once you charge you are a professional for the next 2 years.
I've done friends favors and ran their dogs when I was going to a HT or FT and they have done the same for me, no money has ever changed hands. The absent owner just takes care of entering their dog and listing the appropriate handler.

That's just me,

Tim

#14 ·
How much do you value your AKC amateur status? Once you charge you are a professional for the next 2 years.
To be honest, that is not something I thought about. What is the result of 'losing' amatuer status?

Personally, I wouldn't view accepting money to cover travel expenses as becoming a 'professional'. But if I were to arrange 'payment' for a pass (as an incentive), I suppose I would be crossing the line into pro territory...

I'm not sure what that means in the 'big picture'. Can anybody clarify the consequences of becoming a 'pro'. I'd just like to weigh all of the factors as I make my decision.

Rob

#16 ·
Your going just for his dog??? Why??

If you were going anyway with your 5 and he wanted his dog to go along well then fine. The other way around is a waste of your time. Sounds a little like you'll go for his one only if you can take your 5 and he pays a substantial chunk of the trip. That's not fair. If your not going anyway then don't go for one dog. If you want to go since he wants his dog run well then share the expense burden equally among all the dogs.

The expenses are split per dog not per owner. 6 dogs split all the expenses regardless of who owns them.

Actually after reading your last 2 posts it doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle.

Angie

#17 ·
Rob G As for 'charging a fee', I guess I'm looking more for 'reimbursment money' to cover my personal expenses. I wasn't planning on charging a 'handlers fee', just wanted to know what portion of my expenses I could reasonbly ask for him to cover.
I think being reimbursed is completely different than charging someone. If I were the person going (and I was already going), then I certainly wouldn't expect my friend to give me expense money.

Your situation is definitely different than that. Pretty sure I wouldn't trouble myself to go out of my way to run a test for someone who I barely know if I wasn't going already. SOunds like a big pain in the neck.

#18 ·
I wouldn't run someone else's dog unless I was pretty close to him or her. That said, I wouldn't charge a friend or brother to run their dog. This guy just needs to be recruited into your retriever club.

tt

#19 ·
Rob, I know what kind of trainer you are! Give the guy the tools to run his own dog!! If he thinks of his dog the way you say than it will be much more rewarding to him to run him!! I think it should be worth at least a few dinners!!! Kevin

#21 ·
Thanks for all of your input. Now that I've seen a few different perspectives discussed, and I've had a little while longer to think about it (the offer was only made last night), it will make my decision much easier.

At the time I was asked, I was not considering running anymore AKC stuff this year. I wouldn't go just to run his dog (I used that only as an example of what I would expect him to pay if I did). If I decide to go, it would definitly be to run my own dogs as well. I agree that the expense should be split among dogs (now that I think about it), I was just wondering what others thought.

I think if I decide to go, I will encourage him to participate in his dogs training and I would handle him at the test ONLY if he showed the initiative to accompany me or bring his own dog there. I think what he really wants is a 'real' pro. He doesn't seem to want/be able to spend the time necessary to get the best out of his dog, yet his expectations remain high. That could be a dangerous situation to involve myself with unless I was willing to take on his dog full time and charge for his training accordingly.

That would be a bridge that needs a lot more thought before crossing...

#24 ·
I may very well be wrong, but I would only ask for expenses to travel and you pay his fee. My concern would be risking AM status. Now anyone who knows me would get a giggle out of this, but I would only run a friends dog I have experiance over. Sure would not want to be called a pro, and I sure would not want to discarce another pro cause that I AIN'T as they call it in the south.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.