The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratch for In Heat???

Default Scratch for In Heat???

My female is entered in a HT next weekend but I've noticed my male dog is starting to show interest in her, i.e. sampling her urine, lots of sniffing around her etc. etc. Looks like the heat cycle is coming soon. Never had to scratch my dog for a heat cycle yet (always had males before this dog) at what point is she "too interesting" to the male dogs and should be scratched? Do I wait till she is starting to swell up? Appreciate some advice from other owners of females as to when I should scratch her from the test. It wouldn't be such a big deal but if we miss this test due to her cycle we miss the last of the regional tests for this season, meaning if I want to get her SH title I will have to make some loooong drives and burn vacation time traveling to do it in the fall. On the other hand I don't want to enter a dog that is too close to her heat cycle. Suggestions?
    Last edited by Hambone; 05-16-2008 at 09:17 AM.
    I think they were all made to shoot because if they were not why did they give them that whirr of wings that moves you suddenly more than any love of country . . . I think that they were made to shoot and some of us were made to shoot them and if that is not so well, never say we did not tell you that we liked it.

E. Hemingway

Go to a health food store today and buy some Chlorophyll capsules. I give mine 2x a day to start with, but one does the trick after the initial de-odorizing. I also feed a green mix regularly to my dogs so I think all that really helps to keep the odors down. She could be as far out as 2 mos-- I'd not scratch unless she's in season, personally. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Go to a health food store today and buy some Chlorophyll capsules.
    I use them too sometimes, but never to attempt running a dog in seaons (I know you were not suggesting that, Windycanyon, and I agree with not scratching unless she is actually in season). Wipe her with a kleenex or toilet paper (or your hand - lol). If you've got discharge, she's in. If you really want to be sure, take her to the vet. You'll need a veterinary statement to get your entry fee back anyway.
    HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart (Little Guy)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006. I miss you, buddy.
    and HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008. I miss you, Baby Girl.

www.meglynretrievers.com

I'll try the chlorophyll and see if it helps. He usually starts this checking and licking her a few weeks out so it may be June before she actually comes in. She has not been regular so far. One cycle in April last year so I was expecting Oct for her second one but it was December before she came in. If she's on schedule this time late May, early June would be about 6 months.

I know at HRC tests they always had somebody doing a "bitch check" with wipes when you check in. They wiped the dog and if any discharge showed up they couldn't run. Would that be a good standard to go with? If she's not showing any discharge before the test go ahead and run her?
    I think they were all made to shoot because if they were not why did they give them that whirr of wings that moves you suddenly more than any love of country . . . I think that they were made to shoot and some of us were made to shoot them and if that is not so well, never say we did not tell you that we liked it.

E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Would that be a good standard to go with? If she's not showing any discharge before the test go ahead and run her?
    Do you think that's fair to the male dogs?
    Sugarfoots Rascal MH MNH, Master National Hall of Fame (Rascal)
    Leap'n And Pounce'n Sam I Am MH (Sammy)
    Cypress Creek Ramblin Fever MH (Cali)
    Oakridge Ramblin Rascal MH *** (MeToo)
    The Oakridge Highway Man (Bandit)

If she's not spotting, let her run. The female owners in the crowd miss enough tests with this problem.
    sorry male dog owners...
    Besides, shouldn't your training have overcome Maslow's hierarchy of needs?
    Chris Goeson

"Friends help you move, true friends help you move the bodies."

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I'll try the chlorophyll and see if it helps. He usually starts this checking and licking her a few weeks out so it may be June before she actually comes in. She has not been regular so far. One cycle in April last year so I was expecting Oct for her second one but it was December before she came in. If she's on schedule this time late May, early June would be about 6 months.

I know at HRC tests they always had somebody doing a "bitch check" with wipes when you check in. They wiped the dog and if any discharge showed up they couldn't run. Would that be a good standard to go with? If she's not showing any discharge before the test go ahead and run her?
    Just hope she stays on the 8 mos cycles! That's closer the norm anyhow from what I've read, and far easier on the uterus. I have one here that cycles every 6 mos (and even a couple wks shy of 6 mos)... she has cost me a lot of dough on lost entries in obedience especially where all breed clubs don't seem to believe in refunds.

And no, I'd not ever suggest running her in season (it's not safe to swim a bitch in season due to risk of infection, regardless). It's just been my experience that many boys seem to "think" the girl smells sweet far in advance of it actually happening. A bit ago I was walking my crew when along came another guy w/ his 2 Weims (1 m, 1 f) and male lab. The boys thought for sure Jazz smelled good yet she's been OUT for 4.5 wks now! I agree w/ the poster above that the boys just need to get over some of this...

I would wait until the Friday before the test. If she is in heat scratch her but, if not run her. Does she get goofy when she is in heat and training?

QUOTE "Do you think that's fair to the male dogs?"

If she is not actually in heat is it fair to prevent her from running just because she is starting to smell good?

From the AKC Hunt Test Rules Book: "Bitches in season shall not be eligible for entry in any Hunting Test and shall not be allowed on the grounds."

So I guess that is my first question - what is considered "in season" Obviously, HRC determines it by checking for discharge. I know she starts getting my male interested 3 to 4 weeks before she comes in, is actually in heat for about 2 weeks, and still smells good for 3-4 weeks after. So altogether she interests males for about 10 weeks. Most of that preliminary stuff is just him checking her out when they get out of the kennel in the AM then he leaves her alone because she's not ready. It doesn't really get serious till she begins to discharge. I'm just trying to determine what is right and within the intent of the rules. No, I do not want to run her if every male in the test would be distracted. So where do you draw the line?
    Last edited by Hambone; 05-16-2008 at 03:05 PM.

E. Hemingway

Dukster,

I haven't really noticed any difference in her performance near her cycle. I don't work her when she is in season though. She's either in the house, on a lead with me or in her box in the garage when she is fully in heat.

E. Hemingway