The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leash law advice???

Default Leash law advice???

I was training at a county park here in this Nazi state of NJ and ran in to the county security guards they told me that if the dog doesn't have a leash I had to leave. I informed them that the dog had a e-collar and they basically said tough. I was speaking to someone yesterday and they informed me that there may be case law to support my issue that a e-collar is the same a leash?? Any help would be appreciated I would go else where but it is a very good spot to train. Thanks Chris
    All wet labs smell good!

The first thing I would do is find out what the language is in the leash law. If it specifically states that it must be on a leash, you may be out of luck. If it states that the dog must be under control, that is different. I know that our local leash laws here would potentially allow for a dog not to be on a leash if you could demonstrate control, but obviously that would vary with the specific language in the particular statute. Carefully review the verbage and see if there is something you can "hang your hat on."

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and I am not attempting to give legal advice.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Our local ordinance does not provide for training or e-collars. Flexileads or any lead over 6 foot is also illegal. Additionally, if off the prescribed lead, the dog must be behind an enclosure. It took away our drill field and any training within the city limits. The law helped us to decide to leave that community. The house closing is in June...

As I understood it, Fairbanks actually did make provisions for the sled dogs in their ordinance because someone with influence made sure that the exception existed.

When these laws are proposed, the worst thing that a knowledgeable dog owner can do is to do nothing...
    When it quits being fun...we retire!

Nancy Neipert with
    Skeeter, my avatar (Deepwoods Off and Fly'n High, MH, MNH, MN09,10, 11.
    Gypsy (Windigo Deja Voodoo Gypsy Pearl, D List, QAA, MH) MN10 & to MD11
    Mary (Stellars Proud Mary) first Lean Mac dog
    Ted (Deepwoods Spirit of the Wild), now the baby & Suzie's grandson...
    Suzie (Watermarks Slough Foot Sue, MH, 2000-2011 - Farewell dear companion)

nope, e-collars not the same as leash here. Behind my house I'm lucky to have fields and ponds. No one is ever back there. Plenty of geese and ducks are here. Got to be at least 500 acres of field/man made ponds. Only one time I caught a guy dumping motor oil into the drains! That's another story...

but one time i drove to a field that was owned by the state. i did some training and fun but a DEP officer told me the dog has to be leashed up. Told him the dog has an ecollar on and he said "Like that is gonna do anything, that's NO guarantee! leash the dog up sir!" So I did and left. Called the local police and DEP and both told me they'd have to look into it but said a leash is a leash blah blah blah, gave me a lecture.

So i'll stick to my "secret" fields thank u! i worried someone may hear my .32 blanks going off but in the year or so doing it nothing has happened. i'll go on my merry way until someone asks me to stop.

I think if we all join together we could possibly fight the Animal Rights activists that push for all the overly restrictive laws. The ultimate goal of the AR extremists is to stop all animal ownership. No circus, zoos, state aquarium, state fairs with Grand Champions, AKC, UKC etc. They are working towards it little by little.

Right now the city of Dallas has an ordinance up for vote that says all dogs and cats must be spayed or neutered at 4 months of age. You can apply for a breeders permit. They have made a provision for that, but the cost is $500 per year per intact animal. I donít know about you, but that is to pricy for my MH bitch.

Here are 2 organizations that are fighting this AR battle so that normal America can have some representation on these Municipal Animal Control boards. Please consider joining.

http://americansportingdogalliance.org/

http://www.responsiblepetowners.org/index.html

Most agricultural counties in any state have leash laws to supposedly keep dogs from chasing livestock. Supposedly,(according to my bro-in-law who has a lab and was a cop, so take it for what it's worth) in my county they now count ecollars as a form of leash.

Laws are made for things that stupid people do in this country. Unfortunately, the rest of us still have to obey them though!
    BHB

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    I think if we all join together we could possibly fight the Animal Rights activists that push for all the overly restrictive laws. The ultimate goal of the AR extremists is to stop all animal ownership. No circus, zoos, state aquarium, state fairs with Grand Champions, AKC, UKC etc. They are working towards it little by little.

Right now the city of Dallas has an ordinance up for vote that says all dogs and cats must be spayed or neutered at 4 months of age. You can apply for a breeders permit. They have made a provision for that, but the cost is $500 per year per intact animal. I donít know about you, but that is to pricy for my MH bitch.

Here are 2 organizations that are fighting this AR battle so that normal America can have some representation on these Municipal Animal Control boards. Please consider joining.

http://americansportingdogalliance.org/

http://www.responsiblepetowners.org/index.html
    This was brought up in the legislature about a year ago to attempt to make it a statewide law in California. Dog and cat show people, breeders, houndsman, etc. lobbied hard against it and it was defeated for now, but it may rear it's ugly head again. The guy that wrote the bill is a typical Hollywood liberal and doesn't realize that another world exists outside of Hollywood.

The Los Angeles city council recently adopted this same thing as a city ordinance. Feel sorry for the breeders in LA.
    BHB

Interesting topic. My two cents. When I was living in Florida they also had a leash law. My dog was very obedient, to the point that I never needed a leash. So the way I got around the law was I put a very very short leash on the dog (basically a handle off the collar) and then the dog was technically on a leash. It worked for me.

NJ guy here -- most of the municipalities around my area have leash laws and restricted areas (like school playgrounds) - they do not want the dogs defecating in places where kids may slip in it. For the most part I don't have a problem with that -- I usually train my dog with an ecollar.
    Its always a warning first from the police, so if you're polite you just "leash" up your dog and they're fine. For the most part, I don't think the police really care if you're training your dog. They usually only need to address the issue when people complain and then they have no choice but to follow the ordinance. A lot of times in the early morning, they will come by and watch me train.
    I wouldn't fire off any poppoers or blanks though in populated areas - save them for the trips to the WMAs - which by the way for the NJ guy, there are plenty of places to train your dog and shoot off blank loads without the chagrine of local law enforcement. All the WMAs are open althouugh some are restricted at certain times of the year.
    Now if you get a real "ball-buster" DEP guy or someone then I'd look for another place.

Read the animal ordinances of your county carefully. I did for my county, and there is actually a provision in there that a dog being actively trained for "obedience trials or hunting competitions" can be off leash, even in a public area. Sweet! I can't believe my county full of tree hugging hippies actually wrote that into law (BTW I'm 1/2 tree hugging hippie myself).
    --Anney