RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

first time dog (duck hunting) trainer...few questions

4K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  Walt Maki 
#1 ·
ok a little background first, i bought my lab (named him Lucky) when he was 5 months old..he comes from a good background and all...I have had him for a little over a week

in that week i work with him 15-30 min a day (depending on the things i have going on that day)

I pretty much got him to sit whenever he is actually paying attention to me, and i got him trained a little bit on stay...i can get to about 10 feet away before he wants to move...and of course, he retrieves his dummy like hes never going to see it again lol

ok now for my questions..

1) is he training fairly quick or slow?

2) any tips on how i can get him to stay past 10 feet or so

3) any tips or hints on how i can make him wait until I say go to get the dummy...right when i throw he takes off like a mad man after it

4) any other tips are greatly appreciated since I have never trained a dog to duck hunt before

See less See more
#2 ·
another question that just popped into my head....i finally taught him not to go crazy on the leash when i am walking him...but now he has the habbit of wanting to walk infront of me instead of just staying on one side in heel position....no matter what i am trying to do he wont stop...any tips?

#3 ·
Damian,

First of a congrats on your new best friend, next I would go to your local bookstore or an online stre and get some training materials, i.e. books or movies. We all probably started the same way you are but it is not the best way to do things. There is a lot of info out there on training and it is easier to describe and understand if you can see it with your own eyes. Then when you get stuck you can describe and ask questions to help you out.

Have fun and enjoy the ride!!!

#9 ·
how old is a dog usually when it is first duck hunting

i figured if he is not ready for hunting this season..ill bring him on a few hunts towards the end of the season (after we have killed our birds so we wont be too upset if he messes up the hunt) to get him use to all the gunfire and everything

#6 ·
Water Dog is good, but limited in what it can ultimately accomplish (I originally started with it, too, along with Family Dog and Game Dog). I'd suggest instead the training methods provided in books and DVDs by either Evan Graham or Mike Lardy...they'll take you a lot further in a very carefully structured and logical progression of training techniques.

By the way, welcome to RTF...good luck, and enjoy the ride!

#7 ·
ill have to look into this 10 minute retriever

i guess i am just nervious about ruining the dog and him becomming just a house dog instead of a gun dog...im pretty sure he will not bne ready for thsi duck season (beacuse I have never trained a dog to duck hunt..and he will still be a little bit young), but im hoping the next season he will be ok

#11 ·
Look up the phone book for dog clubs in your area. If they offer obediance classes enroll and you can join the club to meet other trainers, most of the time they're glad to help you, even better if you can find retriever club.
Good luck and have fun with your dog.

#13 ·
3) any tips or hints on how i can make him wait until I say go to get the dummy...right when i throw he takes off like a mad man after it
Congrats on the pup!

Do not worry with this yet. That will come with time. You want the puppy to LOVE retreiving. Trying to make them steady at this young an age can suppress that desire. Take things slow and let the pup be a pup for now. Spend time bonding with him (walks through new places and surroundings are great). Keep "training sessions" short.

PintailAle

#18 ·
i may be wrong but Sound Beginnings could help, seeing how your just starting training but its a 5mo.
being a noob trainer i loved fowl dawgs 1 dvd because it shows what your gonna be doing.
good luck and keep it fun for you AND him.
post some pics too !!

#25 ·
I'm at the same spot with a 5 month, I believe the most important thing is not to go to fast or expect to much at this age. Hard to do, all the training books and info. are great, but nothing can replace patience. If you can get a friend, spouse or anyone who will help and do walking single marks on short grass so your dog can see the bumper. Keep the marks short use check cord and keep the sessions short 3 or 4 marks at this age is usually good. The reason for the partner throwing is to teach the puppy to look out in front for the bird, make him sit hold him till bumper is thrown then release him on his name. The hard part for a puppy is to bring it back don't freak if he runs away just be calm get the check cord and call him in while reeling him in if he drops the bumper no big deal that comes later. Get him running out for the bird and coming back, big deal at this age. Good Luck.

#28 ·
how exactly do you do the "walking single mark"

only kind of retrieving i have been doing with him is he brings me the bumper...i tell him to sit, he sits, then i throw and he gets it and brings it back

he definately has alot of retrieval drive..he will get that bumper until my arm falls off, and when i think he is tired i put the bumper up and he will get it and bring it to me and sit next to me

#26 ·
First off, Congratulations!
IMHO, hunting with a 10 month is all dependent on the hunting conditions and the dogs prior training. The duck blind should never be used to introduce a new scenario. If you can do it in a very controlled environment then it can be very rewarding.

Regarding the on lead issue, this is what I do and it has worked wonders to the point that I've helped others (non hunting dogs) with older dogs with this training. First off you need a choke collar, a 25' lead, and a large open area (sports field works just fine). Put the dog on lead and start walking completely ignoring the dog. Once they realize that they're on lead they will normally start walking ahead of you, do a 180 and hold on tight to your end. The dog will get jerked around don't worry. Continue walking ignoring the dog and repeat. Very quickly the dog will realize that when they are on lead they need to be next to you and most importantly paying attention to you. Some people give the command heel during the training until they are in line and reinforce the proper position with a "good girl". Within 10 minutes the dog is walking on lead properly. As the dog gets better, shorten the lead. If you ever find yourself at a later time walking the dog even on a standard 6' lead and the dog gets in front of you, do the same thing, do a quick 180 and get her attention again. I like not saying anything during this exercise since I want the dog focused on me not on my commands. Again, JMHO.

#27 ·
First off I want to say " Congratulations!" You are in for one he** of a ride. I just got a
YLM from a friend who's wife was allergic. He is over a year old, and was just a house dog. He barley knew the sit command. Or at least he didn't listen to it. In a matter of 2 months he has been through formal OB and is almost through FF. Keep in mind that there is no set time for how long these things take. It all depends on you, your dog, and the amount of time, and experience you have to train. The only reason I brought this up is because you seemed to have questions about getting your dog at 5 months old. It really doesn't matter. You are definatley on the right track. If I could give you one piece of advice it would be "Pick one program and stay with it!" I see too many people who buy all of the books and DVD's and try to pick and choose which methods to use. This is not a bad thing but for now you would be better off staying with one program. I have trained with Rick and can tell you he is a great trainer. I learned alot just watching him run his string of dogs not too long ago. Take your time and be patient. And most of all have fun and enjoy your dog.

#29 ·
I would hire an obience trainer that you can meet with once a week- use a private session is better than a group at this age- that is what I did for obiedience which is the foundation for all training. I had my pup out hunting at 10 months- he was not steady so I had to use a leash attached to a ground anchor everytime so he would not break and get bad habits. I made him sit before his retrieves each time. I think you are on your way...

#31 ·
Hello Damian and welcome to RTF
This link to the Mike Lardy material has already been provided above http://www.totalretriever.com/
But this next link is a page from that site, it is Mike Lardy's flow chart. You mentioned you wanted to see the order of things. Here it is, I keep this printed out on my refrigerator. I am a fan of the Lardy material http://www.totalretriever.com/flowchart.htm and check out the customer testimonials on the home page. I like the bottom one. I think it is great that you took a 5 month old pup. Now, what part of the world are you in? Best thing you can do is join a retriever club. Best thing about that will be the membership list. From that you can call up and arrange dog training days will like minded (read that as crazy) individuals who will have all kinds of accessories that soon you will have as well. You have stepped off the edge of a stunningly slippery slope and there is no turning back. Welcome to your last obsession.
Ken Bora

#32 ·
Walking singles are the gunner or bird boy walks out in front of you.You at the line with pup. The gunner throws bumper with a hey hey to get pups attention. Release pup on his name and call him back. Then the gunner moves around and repeats hey,hey throw and pup retrieves bumper. The gunner walks around in a semi circle in front that way you are not repeating marks and the pup learns to look out. Keep it short at first then increase distance as pup progresses stay in mowed field so pup can see bumper. check cord with help with you getting him back to you. It will take a few days for pup to get the idea to bring it to you and not run to gunner. Don't worry he will get the idea just go slow and keep it fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.