The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frontline… but still have ticks.

Default Frontline… but still have ticks.

Young lab (8 month) is on Frontline… had his first application a few weeks ago. After spending a weekend at the lake I’ve pulled about 8 imbedded ticks of him. They seam for the most part dead so I guess the Frontline is killing them but isn’t the fact they are imbedded still a disease concern (lime)? Is this how this product is supposed to work? Thanks for input!

I am not sure, but I have the same thing. I know my vet quit carrying it and is switching to something else b/c of this. I think that is the way it is supposed to work is to kill them once they are on the dog, but I am not sure. I am anxious to see what others have to say.
    Blake E. Gober
    Ringgold, Ga
    North Georgia HRC
    HR Hudson B. Gober JH
    Blakegober@gmail.com

Based upon my vet's solicited recommendation, I just switched from Frontline Plus to K-9 Advantix, which not only kills and repels ticks and fleas, but also repels mosquitoes and, although not advertised, repels flies.
    HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart (Little Guy)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006. I miss you, buddy.
    and HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008. I miss you, Baby Girl.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Smith View Post
    I just switched from Frontline Plus to K-9 Advantix, which not only kills and repels ticks and fleas, but also repels mosquitoes and, although not advertised, repels flies.
    Ditto.
    After several times last year picking 50 + ticks off my pup while on Frontline, this year I have switched also to Advantix....so far, so good, but I will wait until the end of the year to give it a thumbs up or not.
    Muddy Waters Retriever Club

Trails End Goldens

Proudly owned by:
    HR Montana's Golden Retrieves (11/20/99-8/28/07) Miss you sweetheart
    Quake's Tuckin for Cover (01/28/04 - 9/28/05) Hunt em up little buddy.
    HRCH Super Cell Eye of the Storm MH (01/07/06 - )
    Trails End Ms. October (09/14/08)

My understanding is that the ticks may crawl on the dog, but don't bite because they are repelled by the dog's oil secretions. If they are biting my dog, I figure the frontline has stopped working. I noticed in the post that it mentions applying front line a few weeks ago. Frontline is only good for four weeks (1month) for ticks, and three months for fleas. One other thing that I have heard is that swimming everyday can decrease the frontline in the oily skin. It works really well for my dogs for about a month. The ticks crawl on the dogs and then maybe transfer them to me but they don't bite the dog until after a month.

I would be interested to hear what the vets on this forum think about Frontline vs K9 Advantix.
    Julie
    Watermark's Speed Trap AX
    ADCH PDCH Watermark's Skeeter AX, AXJ
    ADCH Casey's Dobber AX, AXJ (loved for nearly 16 years and missed terribly)
    Casey's Shasta (rest well, old friend)

have used Frontline+ and never had any problems. Ticks end up on me but never on my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by DL View Post
    My understanding is that the ticks may crawl on the dog, but don't bite because they are repelled by the dog's oil secretions. If they are biting my dog, I figure the frontline has stopped working. I noticed in the post that it mentions applying front line a few weeks ago. Frontline is only good for four weeks (1month) for ticks, and three months for fleas. One other thing that I have heard is that swimming everyday can decrease the frontline in the oily skin. It works really well for my dogs for about a month. The ticks crawl on the dogs and then maybe transfer them to me but they don't bite the dog until after a month.
    I knew I was about at the end of the cycle… and frankly being the first application not sure I gave him a good dose. I went ahead and gave him a new dose last night and made sure I got good contact with skin. We’ll know soon enough I guess.

i spray my dogs down prior to and after the days training

I've used Frontline Top Spot for years now at ~35 day intervals, and this is a particularly bad tick season here if I might add! My dogs swim several times a week too. I've removed plenty that were crawling on the dogs' necks and ears, a couple starting to latch on the ears, but not one embedded yet. Normally after the first of June, our temps get so hot to chase them away, but I'm thinking I'll have to make another order and do a 3rd application this year since it's been cool for the most part.

Btw, I buy the 89-130# dog dose, and split one between 2 of my dogs since my dogs range from ~57-67#. This has worked well for me and saves me lots of $. I wait until just before bedtime to apply, have the dog Stand for me during and for a bit after application. Part the hair and make sure you apply to the skin, not the coat!

My vet used Advantix last year and found engorged ticks on her dogs. Back to Frontline... I have to wonder if some products are better than others for certain species though.