The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you Force Fetched?

Default Have you Force Fetched?

Being new to this training thing I have a question. I was just reading a thread on Force Fetching. Seams some have a diff opinion on it. I wanted to know who has and who hasn't used FF on their dogs.

Thanks

We'll just say that a majority have and a minority haven't. If you use the search function about Force Fetch you'll find TONS of threads about reason for or against.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

I see a ton for it and almost knowone against it, but I just wondered if guys find good results without it. I am going to do it soon but will admit I find it hard to believe that I need to. I have been training and have not had one problem and my dog never lets me down. (that is if he understands what I want)

You would probably be better off posting this question as a poll. However, on this site, which is a more serious retriever training site that some others IMO, I believe you would find that an overwhelming majority do force fetch. Count me as a yes on the ff question.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

I'd suggest that you keep an open mind and do what works for you and your dog(s).

I've done it both ways and for the last several dogs, have found that FF has been a step worth doing.

I'm a "never say never" type, but would imagine that FF will be part of the curriculum with future pups that I train.

Quote Originally Posted by outdooratticinc View Post
    I see a ton for it and almost knowone against it, but I just wondered if guys find good results without it. I am going to do it soon but will admit I find it hard to believe that I need to. I have been training and have not had one problem and my dog never lets me down. (that is if he understands what I want)
    The reason for FF isn't just so your dog will retrieve. If he doesn't do that naturally then you are fighting an uphill battle and should reconsider training the dog anyway (if we are talking about a retriever). The reason is that it is the cornerstone of any force based training program. It (force) turns commands from "suggestions" into "commands." It teaches the dog the proper reaction to force (compliance with a known command) and how to turn it (force) off (quick compliance).

Get some good FF materials though such as Fowl Dogs 1 and/or the SmartFetch book. I used the SmartFetch book on my most recent time. The DVD that goes with the book was not out yet at the time or I would have bought that too. BTW, I used Training Retrievers for the Marshes and Meadows by James Spencer for my first dog and that was fine too.

Good luck to you and your dog.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Just getting started with one right now.

May I ask what your goals are for you and your dog?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Thumbs up

Outdooratticinc,

I was in the same boat as you last year, and i opted to force fetch, and have never looked back. it is a necessary tool if you want to progress the training to a higher level, and it is a very convenient if not necessary compliment any hunting dog should have.

Pick up some training material, i myself am following the Fowl Dawgs system by Rick Stawski, but the Smartworks series is great also. follow the material to a T, and watch that little guy develop before your eyes to a retrieving monster that all of your hunting friends will envy you for!
    Blazin' Rebel General
    "Jackson"

I am using Butch Goodwin's training methods. I have gone pretty far through the system. I am not very confident on doing FF myself and am waiting for a friend of mine to help. He has done it several times but has a very busy schedule. I want to take Gunner hunting and I go about 10-15 times a year so he isn't going to be living in the field, but I want him to be a reliable dog and so far he is...
    Last edited by outdooratticinc; 06-03-2008 at 02:37 PM.

FF is the basis for sooooo much that follows. I am not saying you can't get by without it, but I would not train a dog without FF
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke