The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ??Hot Spots??

Default ??Hot Spots??

Could feeding a "hot" food during hot weather with llittle activity cause hot spots??
    Bob Foster

I doubt it. Would feeding a "cold" food during cold weather cause frostbite?

I don't think the temperature of the food is the cause of the hot spots. If the dog is allergic to an ingredient in the food then the food can contribute/cause the hot spots regardless of the temperature of the food when it is ingested. I'm not a vet, therefore I could be wrong.

LSpann
    Last edited by LSpann; 06-12-2008 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSpann View Post
    I doubt it. Would feeding a "cold" food during cold weather cause frostbite?

I don't think the temperature of the food is the cause of the hot spots. If the dog is allergic to an ingredient in the food then the food can contribute/cause the hot spots regardless of the temperature of the food when it is ingested. I'm not a vet, therefore I could be wrong.

LSpann
    What??

"Hot" food means higher in protien. That's why I put it in quotes!!
    Bob Foster

Sorry, I didn't know you were speaking in terms of the contents of the food. I really found it quite amusing.

LSpann

I am glad I read the high protien part I missed the quotes also. Never had it happen in my lab but my samoyed would get them when she got alot of high protien food, but not sure if it was related.

her high protien food was always accidental like eating a 6 pound pot roast off the counter...
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

I'm battling hot spots with my dog also....I feed Eukanuba Performance Large Dog.
    I do use an antiseptic cleanser and antibiotic ointment on the spots....but a major, major nuisance. Some people use a talc like Gold Bond to help with the drying of spots.
    I have continued to train in water, but am very thorough on attending to the hot spots afterward. I haven't noticed any difference in the extent of the hotspots with water training as long as you are diligent in attending to the spots afterward. I use over the counter cleanser and ointment. Hope this may be helpful for you. Good luck.
    Peter Linn

Is he your best buddy or just a notch on your belt? Train to teach, be fair.

Choctaw's Esperando La Magica "Breeze" ** MH
    Surfer Joe II

http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=146721

I've too been going through this problem. I have used Neo Predif to help dry the spots and cleanse the spot with a good medicated shampoo. So far it's only taken a few days and they've started healing up.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTruk View Post
    Could feeding a "hot" food during hot weather with llittle activity cause hot spots??
    Seems like we've been battling hot spots more this year than ever before. I'm interested in prevention more than treatment, so I'll watch this thread closely for ideas. We treat with Gold Bond powder, and they dry up and heal pretty quick. Unfortunatly, the hair goes too, so the dogs look mangy.

A couple of weeks ago, I started giving a Fish Oil / Omega 3 (1000mg) suppliment once a day, and switched foods earlier this week. I just got back in town from travel and one dog has a new one. With the heat we've been doing a lot more water work, so I've started drying the dogs off before putting them in their boxes for the ride home. I'm not sure if its an allergy, bites, moisture, scratches, etc. Time will tell if any of this will work.

ml

Quote Originally Posted by torrey View Post
    What exactly are hotspots? I've seen it mentioned before. What are the symptoms, what do they look like, etc?
    Hot spots are a "moist dermititis"

Symptoms are scratching or chewing at the area, hairloss. When you look at the skin you see a red/bloody or yellow/serum looking sore on the skin. It is very "oozy".

Some say dogs with allergies are more prone to them because of the allergies, others it can be caused by anything from a scratch to a flea/tick/bug bite. The spot is usually self induced by scratching and the sore gets infected and causes a infection in the skin which causes it to be come moist and oozy.

Most of the time you need to shave the area and get rid of the hair over the spot so it can get air to dry. When you shave it you need to shave the hair off out to healthy skin, need to clean it with a antiseptic and in sever cases need oral antibiotics to treat.

Not much you can do to prevent them, maybe after swimming in slew holes give the dog a bath to get bacteria off dog?

Here is a link with pictures.
    http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...S=0&C=0&A=2714
    JoAnn Stancer
    Sandspring Chesapeakes
    MySpace Blog:
    http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ndID=442677052

To live for today

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

This is the time of year that some of the seasonal allergies flare up also bug bites. Both of these can cause the dog to itch and thus scratch. When they scratch the skin with certain bacteria under they toe nails, then can set up the infection that we commonly call hot spots.

We used to get one or two of them a year on this dog or that dog and I always felt like such a failure as a "Mama" when they suffered from them. knock on wood, we haven't seen one since I started giving everyone Vitamin C everyday all year long. Maybe it helps to boost their immune system or maybe the extra acid or antioxidents is the reason or maybe I'm just crazy and it is just a co-incidence that we haven't seen hot spots in 4 or 5 years?

We even had a dog who suddenly got allergies last year. Turned out that testing showed that she was most allergic to Bahia Grass.....most prevelent grass in our pasture but also had slight allergic reactions to most grains and an absolute surprise....Fish! I had been giving them all fish oil capsules last year, too because I had heard how good it was for their skin and coats and brain power etc... but even through all that she didn't get a hot spot...she did lose almost all her hair and have little scabby sores before we(our vet and us) figured out what was wrong and how to best treat her.
    Last edited by Lady Duck Hunter; 06-13-2008 at 07:44 AM.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady