The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: ? from a new guy

Default ? from a new guy

Chief and I are trying to learn a little about basic handling. He does pretty good on force to pile. I have a hard time getting him to sit on a retrieve (his basic obedience is excellent). The only time he will sit on a retrieve is with collar pressure or check cord pressure. After I apply even the lightest pressure he becomes very timid. He runs with his head down and heals directly behind me. He continues to do this until we both become frustrated and the training session ends. I have never been heavy handed with him, but he was CC when I got him. Where do we go from here? Is it because we spent our first couple of months together getting used to each other with no collar?

How old is your dog and how old was he when you got him? There are many reasons that could account for the behavior.
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Quote Originally Posted by agrip View Post
    Chief and I are trying to learn a little about basic handling. He does pretty good on force to pile. I have a hard time getting him to sit on a retrieve (his basic obedience is excellent). The only time he will sit on a retrieve is with collar pressure or check cord pressure. After I apply even the lightest pressure he becomes very timid. He runs with his head down and heals directly behind me. He continues to do this until we both become frustrated and the training session ends. I have never been heavy handed with him, but he was CC when I got him. Where do we go from here? Is it because we spent our first couple of months together getting used to each other with no collar?
    Something does not make sense to me. You say he is good on force to pile, yet when pressure is applied he gets timid? Force to pile IS pressure, is he doing this part fine? If so, when exactly is he becoming timid? Is the collar being used during FTP? IMO the collar had no place in the process of teaching to sit on whistle, also this process should not be used on marks. I also believe FTP and STW should not be done at the same time. FTP is to get him to GO, no strings attatched, just GO. STW should start on leash, he should be 100% on it before moving on, then use check cord. Set out a pile of bumpers at about 30 feet, send dog, do not stop him,send again and this time when he gets out about 10 feet hit the whistle and stop him with the check cord, then give him a "back" to finish the retrieve. Send him several more times and do not stop him. Keep these sessions short and only one or two stops per session. You will notice he is getting the picture when he is not hitting the rope as hard. Try not to stop him at the same distance each time either. As he progress you can lenghten the pile distance and stop him further away from you, keep the cord on him until he is stopping 100% without cord pressure. Oh yeah, PUT GLOVES ON!!!!!!!!!!

He's 2 and ive had him for 6 months. I guess I should have said that this is my first retriever. He sits on whistle but not between the time he is released and he comes back to heal. Sounds like maybe I got ahead of myself. I'm beginning to think I need to get rid of the "gun dog" DVD and invest in some better training materials before I rush anything.
    Last edited by agrip; 06-18-2008 at 09:50 AM.