The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Google Street View pics

Default Google Street View pics

Just curious, where does google get its "street view" images from?

my friend told me to look up my addy and i was shocked to see my house, my fj cruiser in the driveway, and my kennel with my lab in it!!! looks as if she is looking right at the camera or whatever took the image!!!! what kinda concerns me is the area i live in is new (2007 - only 6 houses so far built) i live up on a small mountain and being able to spin the image to see the kennel surprised me. i can understand the front/side of the house but the kennel is in the backyard. there is nothing but land and trees and woods directly behind my house and then there is a 150 acre field.

Just curious, its scary what you can find now a days on the net.

satellites and cameras are everywhere. you're almost always being watched. just think there are cameras on nearly every street corner in Europe....

well one of my friends just said last month he remembered seeing a Porsche Cayenne S with a large ball mounted on top and on the side of the car had a magnetic sign that said "something Media Company" and he asked the woman driving it what that ball thingy was. She said she was working for such and such Media Co. All she had to do was drive down certain streets and let the this "ball" camera do its thing. The footage was for Google. So now I'm thinking OK its a car cam that gets these street views but if that is the case, how the heck did they get the side of my house when there is no road! It gets part of my backyard where the kennel is and my dog is staring right at the camera. So it makes me think did someone start walking on my property with this cam!? it would make sense as my dog seems to be (its fuzzy) staring at the person/cam and her tail is way up. but i guess it bothers me. i should contact google but what do they care... its just that if these "street" views are from a car i'm not gettin how they got the footage of the side/somewhat rear of my house when there is no way a car could get back there unless they went off roading and even if that - they would be trespassing! Who knows...

Kristie Wilder

that is really weird that you could see so much of your house. I'm glad you posted this. I hadn't seen it before... There are only the major roads done near my house. I guess there's a benefit to not being close to the road...

-K

its odd because i'm not near the major roads, new area so its kinda out of the way unless they just wanted footage of "new" homes or something. you couldn't even get my addy on google maps until maybe a month ago, they must have updated the streets... i don't know, i'm not tellin where i live! hahaha

What you are seeing is the "birdseye" view. It shows my house, truck in driveway, dog kennel, storage sheds, and gargen plot. Mine is definately a satelite view but is accurate.Not all areas have the "birdseye" view available. Really very neat though.
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

I see they have an updated sattelite view of our house.It's in color now but it looks like last summer.I can tell by the construction next door.I see my truck in the driveway but niether the dog or me are outside.I was probably sitting on my arse on RTF.

No street views here yet.I saw downtown though.Hopefully the "blue" streets are awhile off.

i think i figured it out. there was ONCE a dirt path/road that did go behind my house back in March 2008. i was under the impression this was done this past month or something but after careful observation of the tree leaves/grass and positioning the image every step of the way then panning the image way way down i can see a dirt path and this person's car somewhat (A Land Rover) and it looks like the person was trying to turn around. Right now that dirt path is just sod/grass but it was where they parked the machines and gear, etc... earlier this year. So that solves that question. So they were not on my property... this is very interesting but scary at the same time.

Here they use a white van with cameras on both sides and on top. They drive down each road/street….taking pictures of the houses. Someone, somewhere has a lawsuit against them for invasion of privacy but I can’t remember where that is. One of my friends brothers works for them doing this. They go everywhere they legally can, dirt roads, access roads......
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke