The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: School Lesson GDG

Default School Lesson GDG

Subject: A Lesson that should be taught in all schools

If you don't believe this go here; http://www.snopes.com/glurge/nodesks.asp

Back in September of 2005, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a social studies school teacher at Robinson High School in Little Rock , did something not to be forgotten.

On the first day of school, with the permission of the school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she removed all of the desks out of her classroom.

When the first period kids entered the room they discovered that there were no desks.

Looking around, confused, they asked, 'Ms. Cothren, where are our desks?'

She replied, 'You can't have a desk until you tell me what you have done to earn the right to sit at a desk.'

They thought, 'Well, maybe it's our grades.' 'No,' she said.

Maybe it's our behavior.' She told them, 'No, it's not even your behavior.

And so, they came and went, the first period, second period, third period. Still no desks in the classroom.

By early afternoon television news crews had started gathering in Ms.Cothren's classroom to report about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of her room.

The final period of the day came and as the puzzled students found seats on the floor of the deskless classroom.

Martha Cothren said, 'Throughout the day no one has been able to tell me just what he/she has done to earn the right to sit at the desks that are ordinarily found in this classroom. Now I am going to tell you.'

At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it.

Twenty-seven (27) U.S. Veterans, all in uniforms, walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school desk. The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over and stand alongside the wall.

By the time the last soldier had set the final desk in place those kids started to understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the right to sit at those desks had been earned.

Martha said, 'You didn't earn the right to sit at these desks. These heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you. Now, it's up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to learn, to be good students, to be good citizens. They paid the price so that you could have the freedom to get an education. Don't ever forget it.'

By t he way, this is a true story.... If you can read this, thank a teacher.

Because it is written in English, thank a Veteran

AMEN....

I've always loved that story, and appreciated the teacher for her indelible demonstration.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

That is a truly great story first I have seen it.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

My air conditioning guy came yesterday to look at a rattle. He is awesome and we were talking about teaching-I teach senior English at a public high school. I have told them over and over don't ever make me think-Don't make me think, don't make the police think, don't make the judge think-because IF I am thinking about them when I leave for the day they are dead meat the next day.
    He told me to tell them if they did not want to study, he had jobs for them-crawlers and diggers.
    My Ap class told me I taught them as much about life as about AP lit
    Oh yeah-our desks were made by the prisoners who delivered them to the school all year...don't even go there.
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

I have a new respect for teachers after my daughter began teaching 11th grade English in the Atlanta suburbs. Last part of the year she caught a student cheating on an exam. Student stood up and said "F you" and left the classroom. His punishment: One day out of school........but was allowed to retake the test! When he came back, no apology to her or the class. She did, however, take a real close look at his paper and grade accordingly.
    The father called and wanted to "challenge" the punishment. Father didn't apo;ogize for the kids behavior either.

Hats off to all teachers.
    Tom Dorroh