The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MH title: Does it really matter?

Default MH title: Does it really matter?

Do any hunt test titles really matter to anyone except the dog owner?

I can breed my dog to a MH for $500-900.00 or I can breed to an AFC, an FC, or an FC AFC for $500-900.00.

I can buy a puppy out of a MH for $500-900.00 or I can buy a puppy out of an FC AFC for $500-900.00.

Some hunt test people take themselves way too seriously and they usually know a lot less than they think they do.

Judges often do not know what they are setting up or what they are looking for in a test. They'll make a big issue out of the color of a shirt, hat, or gloves and then set a test where the wind gives up all the birds. Then they'll throw a bunch of breaking birds to get the Pass % down to an acceptable number because the marks and blinds did not eliminate many dogs.

Hunt test should be easier so that owners can get their ribbons, dogs can get their titles, and handlers can socialize at the club steak fry (instead of running until 9pm).

If owners want more of a challenge, they can run a Q somewhere.

JS

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post
    Do any hunt test titles really matter to anyone except the dog owner?

I can buy a puppy out of a MH for $500-900.00 or I can buy a puppy out of an FC AFC for $500-900.00.

JS

When you say "out of" I assume you are talking about the sire because, I don't think you could buy a pup with the bitch being a AFC or FC for $500-900.00. Having said this..I will stay out of the fireworks to come.
    FC Pinmark's Queen Of Pride Rock

Concrete Mixer's Lia Sophia***

Maybe we should not even test the dogs and give them titles as puppies..... Those who have titled their dogs know that they are not given away, they are earned!
    Highview's Hunting Retrievers

Home of
    HRCH Highview's Hopeful "Jake"
    HRCH UH Highview's Sugar Coded Blue Sky
    SHR Highview's Rollin' With The Punches
    http://www.highviewsretrievers.net

Yawnnnn....

Senior Member Last Frontier Labs's Avatar

Well, if you are breeding to letters, then I guess it would matter.
    So many more things go into a good breeding than just the letters.
    Sherri Young

"It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Josh you obviously don't know to much about master test. True there are some master test you go to and the judges don't know that they are giving the birds away by the wind but those are few and far between! How about you take your FT dog and try to sit down at a bucket with birds flying, duck calls, and a gun going off right next to his head in an HRC test. Don't down grade some of they're dogs for your lack of understanding.

A good Master dog can go hang in a Q any day of the week. Same exact concepts are shown.

Another thing how bout you run your FT dog on blinds that have suction from other marks they just picked up? That's right in FT your marks and blinds are not done together therefor eleminating those factors!

I'm currently working on my dogs MH title he's 4-5 now and i will be running Q's in the spring with him. Hope i see you at the line.

Both HT and FT dogs are great in their own aspects
    Last edited by Trykon; 06-28-2008 at 01:17 PM.
    GRHRCH UH Kennington's Max MH
    HR Kenningtons Is That All Ya Got

I have only trained the dog I currenty have and am very proud of Deuce's SH let alone a MH. Maybe they are only for the owners, but I really enjoy hunt tests and the people who attend. To each is own........You do what you like and I will do what I like!

Quote Originally Posted by Trykon View Post

Another thing how bout you run your FT dog on blinds that have suction from other marks they just picked up? That's right in FT your marks and blinds are not done together therefor eleminating those factors!
    ????? Yeah, those field trial dogs couldn't handle blinds with any kind of suction invovled.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

I think it is a little early for me to chime in since I am new to the board but after trying to begin training a dog to retrieve enough to hunt this fall and the obstacles there. Then watching those hunt test I don't believe anyone should take credit away from the dog or the trainer for the work that goes into (I imagine) to even get close to that type of discipline.
    "I hunt as much as I want"
    When my wife & 3 boys say
    Sonny's Scooby Doo Dancer

I don't think he's saying he has a FT dog.......obviously not per the quote above.
    LM