The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Heads Up On Letter writing campaign

Default Heads Up On Letter writing campaign

Colorado Dog training Association
    An Organization that represents the interest of Colorado Sportsmen to promote and conserve areas for sport dog training and trialing.
    (includes members of organizations such as AKC, HRC, NAVHDA, and APLA)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In the near future there will be a letter writing/email campaign to state officials. To convince them to support our efforts to manage two important key local areas for dog training. This is an opportunity all sportsmen around the country to use networking to work to promote and conserve areas for training and trialing. Sportsmen working together have the power of numbers.
    We encourage each one of you to send one or more emails to those on a contact list that will be included in an upcoming post. That will be entitled "We All Have A Dog In This Fight".
    A generic letter with talking points will be included which can be cut and pasted, or edited (fast and easy). Or draft a short personalized version (best).
    Colorado Thanks You
    Last edited by Losthwy; 07-02-2008 at 05:25 PM.

While politicians definitely pay attention to volumes of letters, in California we have found it more effective to lobby in person. California has a Fish & Game Commission that sets policy and regulations based on laws passed by the legislature. Florence attended many of their meetings, giving testimony with regard to dog training on specific items and during the general public forums. This has been an expensive process as most of the meetings are at least 450 miles away.

She has been able to develop relationships with the policy makers within the Dept. of Fish & Game as well as with the Fish & Game Commission. The Commission adopted her language for giving status to dog training as an intregal part of hunting. This means that the department must consider hunting dog training when adopting use plans for acquired properties. In addition, she has regular meetings with local DFG managers to discuss these issues.

It is important to work with those at the local and state level that make policy decisions and propose new legislation to the state lawmakers. Letters set the groundwork and help support specific policies under scrutiny. Real success comes from "in the flesh" lobbying efforts.

Russ

I agreed with what you have said. We have address the States Parks Board about this upcoming issue, as well we have had several meeting with park managers. They were the ones that strongly suggested this email/letter writing campaign on this particular issue. After this issue is resolved, we intend to do what Florance has done-lobby for sportsmen, when we approach the Division of Wildlife to open areas on Division property.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

Brian - not sure if anyone has talked to Tom Remington at DOW yet, but he's a hunter/dog guy and may be an ally if he isn't afraid of the politics.

I'll happily help all I can, but my fear is that order to get what we'd like there is something that has to be taken away from the general public, and that is going to be a tough row to hoe...
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

I would be happy to participate.
    ~Moira Sheehan
    Third Creeks Twisted Sister***
    Hallelujah Toulouse's Jean (House Guardian Pyr)
    RIP - Moriah's Rumor's Oopsy-Do (Mini Dachshund)

Since this is a State Parks issue I don't know how effective Tom Remington could be. Down the road when we approach the Division Of Wildlife, meeting with him will be part of the part of that strategy. And you can help, buy some stamps. Get everyone you know to write and/or email those that will be on the contact list. I have been told,"the park managers and the parks board are incline for a change". They are currently doing many impact studies to support that change. I was also told how much of a change depends on those letters and emails. Our job as sportsmen is to drum as much political support to blunt the opposition. They will do the rest.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

Quote Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
    I would be happy to participate.
    Great Mojo! Tell all who support you and your sport how important this is to you. Get them to email (it's free) and send as many letters as possible. I was told how by a former public official much impact a single letter in his hand had.
    Last edited by Losthwy; 07-02-2008 at 08:43 PM.

I'am in. Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by keskam View Post
    I'am in. Kevin
    Great Keskam! Tell all who support you and your sport how important this is to you.