RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Parti-colored labs

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  firehouselabs 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Pretty dramatically mismarked, but isn't he gorgeous? We had a puppy once many years ago who had a mismark on his back. It looked just like he bumped up under an old truck and got an oil stain. He was a cool dog anyway and still looks like he's been sleeping under an old truck.

#6 ·
Those type of mis-marks are a "one in a million" shot. Thank goodness. Otherwise, we would be looking at a mass marketing of Mosiac labs for thousands of dollars each. There was a research project done on a mosiac lab to see if those markings could be reproduced, they did not get any mis-marked pups out of any of the litters.
It is a beautiful dog though, and to be honest, I wouldn't mind having one just for sh!ts and giggles. But I certainly wouldn't shell out more than a hundred bucks for one, no matter the pedigree, especially since it would just be a pet/hunting dog.

#7 ·
My guess is that this dog could be the result of two sperm impregnating one egg; it certainly doesn't happen very often and is hard to pick up (in people) but would explain the color markings.

#11 · (Edited)
I actually remember seeing these pics before. These aren't mismarks at all.

I believe it is an American bred dog and it was determined to be a chimera. It held two seperate DNA codes in one body. If anyone saw the epidsode on CSI a few years ago where the rapist was always able to get off the hook because his blood type didn't match his semen. This is the same deal.

If this was an all yellow or black litter no one would ever know there was a chimera there.
Chimerism

Because twins shared the uterine environment, fraternal twins can carry genetic material inside their bodies that belongs to the other twin. Some twins even have two different blood types in their body as a result. This mixing of genetic codes is called Chimerism, and is usually harmless to both twins.

Other instances of Chimerism occur when one twin "vanishes" and the other absorbs his or her genetic material. Most of these rare individuals have no idea they ever had a twin, and are surprised to find they host more than one genetic code. Discovery Health Channel aired a show on this phenomenon called "I am My Own Twin", which detailed the problems two women faced because of their chimerism. One woman needed a kidney transplant, but her DNA did not match her relatives' DNA. Another woman's children were taken away from her because a DNA test indicated she was not their mother, but that they shared the same father (they were eventually returned to her, thankfully!).

As DNA testing becomes more refined, it is entirely possible that we will find more of these individuals living amongst us--people who look and feel normal, but who possess more than one genetic code in their bodies.

#12 ·
Thats really neat! Nice looking dog!

Katelyn M. Croteau

#13 ·
Years ago there was a young girl studied at the local University after she had been diagnosed as a "chimera". She was initially discovered as her eyes were different colors. Interestingly, she had both XX and XY cells but was phenotypically female. It was presumed two sperm fertilized one egg or two eggs were fertilized by different sperm and one embryo was absorbed by the other. Without the eye color difference this would not have been discoverd. I don't know what happened to this girl when she went through puberty.

#14 ·
Some of the markings do look similar to a sectoral chimera. I'm familiar with chimeras in plants not animals. He's a very interesting animal. He's very good looking, not overdone. I assume he could not be registered with the AKC? Or, with DNA testing could be be proven to be pure lab?

Tom

#15 ·
Here's a link to the site that explains coat color in labs, including "mosiacs", fox reds, whites, and silvers. Also explains that white "ring around the tail" that our two chocolates have, as well as our "fox red" yellow female.
http://www.labbies.com/genetics2.htm
it's pretty in depth, meaning long and hard to read, but provides a wealth of info if you are interested in that sort of thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.