The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hey everybody....

Default hey everybody....

hey everyone, new guy here...glad i found a site for the love of labs....

got a question for you all...

anyone know of a good trainer in Northern California...looking to potientially FT my dog...

i came across a good lab...well, paper wise, i actually kinda fell into this dog...i know someone who purchased him and really didnt know what he was getting..long story short...he knew i am familar with Labs and asked if i wanted to purchase him...i wasnt really looking but i knew that this dog couldnt just go to anyone..so i took him on..

i got a late start i got him at 10 months and he is now 1 yr...so he is behind the curve...but he is QUICK AS A WHIP...and has like i said EXCLENT BLOOD LINES...now we all know..and can argue till we are blue in the face..but i personally dont put "toooo much" on papers...it only proves to me, that a dog has "potiential" but it could just as well end up being nothing more than a house pet...but i need to find this out...so i am looking for someone to help me...any and all sugestions are welcome....i would prefer to keep him in N. Cali so i can come up on weekends to monitor progress and assist/learn the trainging methods being used (so i dont dieveate).

Thanks

Jake...NCA

Billy Sargenti is in Escalon. Don't know if he does young dogs though.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

thanks for the info...what do you mean by..young dogs....most of the trainers i have talked to actually wished he was younger....around 4-6 months old...now that he is 1 year they are all saying it is a little late to start, or its gonna make it harder to train him...

NCA

It is never too late. My trainer took a Lab I purchased at the age of 5, who had never been taught even basic obedience and made a Hunt Test dog out of him.
    She has had him since early March of this year. He got his Started Title in May, his JH Title last month, and will be ready for his first pass in Seasoned next month. Granted, it would have been easier if he had been a youngster, but if your Lab has drive and wants to please, his age shouldn't be a big factor. Maybe the trainers you know only WANT to do pups. Doesn't mean it can't be done.
    Katherine Taylor-Green AKA Honey and Grandma!

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler View Post
    thanks for the info...what do you mean by..young dogs....most of the trainers i have talked to actually wished he was younger....around 4-6 months old...now that he is 1 year they are all saying it is a little late to start, or its gonna make it harder to train him...

NCA

young dogs means young in training, not young in age
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by SLICK View Post
    i already have them on the list...i am going up with Gusto..aka Gus..AKC REG NAME....Gusto's Barracudda Blue Ryder.... tommrow to do an eval...i am hitting 3 different trainers tommrow, High Test, Olive Hill, and one other...as well considering Tru-Line in oregon....i know someone on here has his uncle...Drake out of Wa. another Cuda's Blue Ryder/Barracuda Blue lined dog who used Tru-line and i spoke with them and they said they would be HAPPY to take him for awhile sight unseen based on his uncle and his line...this is partly why i need to know...is he worth his salt....a dog that has this line could be a golden nugget...or the oppsite...thanks though.

any others

NCA

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    young dogs means young in training, not young in age
    gotcha....i would have used "Green" dog because that is exactly what he is right now....

he has sit, stay (in the house and my backyard), come, kennel, and "Gus" which is fetch...i have always used my dogs first name or shortened to one syallable name...ie..my last B.F was Katie..but i always used KATE to send her after downed birds or dummies.

right now my biggest hurdle is if i let him off leash in public or outside my fence line he is a ROCKET SHIP to anything other than my voice....that dog will go and not look back...

so the basics are almost there in about 2 months..believe me when i got this dog he was a BEAST....absolutly unruley on the leash and a total disregard toward authority...well i solved that problem within the first 3 days.....then came the time to let him be a puppy again....becasue my friend confiised to caging him because he couldnt handle him...so when i got him he was a mess...no obedience, really didnt get any puppy out..and didnt even know what water and being a retriever was....this dog would look at a ball and do nothing about it....not untill i tied a phesant wing to a dummy did he perk up.(and when i say perk up...boy he got real BIRDY)..and from then on he has given reason to not have his ancestors roll over in their grave....lol

and i say that because his ancestors were ROLLING OVER...and DISGUSTED in his behavior..

NCA

NCA,

I have a friend whose dog is with Jim Dobbs in Marysville. I have no experience with him but she's been happy with the results. It's closer to you than Oregon.

If you're adding Oregon trainers to your list of potentials (since you mention Truline), that also opens it up a bit.

What are your goals for the pup? Basic gundog? Hunt test or field trial?

Regards,
    Ron
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron in Portland View Post
    NCA,

I have a friend whose dog is with Jim Dobbs in Marysville. I have no experience with him but she's been happy with the results. It's closer to you than Oregon.

If you're adding Oregon trainers to your list of potentials (since you mention Truline), that also opens it up a bit.

What are your goals for the pup? Basic gundog? Hunt test or field trial?

Regards,
    thanks for that info...adding one more to the "check out" list....can you make a call possibly to your friend and gather a phone number or website info..if there is one....

as for what i am looking for...all of the above...i really want a Pro's opinion on weather he is going to be just a gundog, or if he has HT/FT/MH in his blood...

i mean if i give him the usuall 15 min a day for the next 5 months i can get him to GUNDOG....i did it before and could do it again....i mean singles, doubles and triples at 100 arnt that hard to do...it is the time i dont have anymore....working full time and managing a fam is enough..this is my first dog in 5 yrs...after i put my last down i figured i would focus on the fam for awhile. but like i said a potientially GREAT dog landed on my lap..and boy did it hurt...lol..at 10 months he was north of 70 lbs...lol (at 1 yrs he is sitting comfortably at 83 lbs.) gonna be a big boy....

NCA