The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK...time to get serious.

Default OK...time to get serious.

Since I haul out all my trivial drivel and foist it on youse folks, many probably don't think I have a serious thought or problem. But I do, and it's a conundrum.

I apparently have an allergy that's caused by the Sun. It started a couple years ago. I've gone through every fomula of sun screen on the market, but have come to the conclusion this year that the condition exists without sunscreen.

The result is causing my skin to itch like I've had a gazillion skeeter bites.

I've taken my medication list to 3 seperate pharmacists, to see what formula of anti-itch junk I can put on my hands and neck to stop the itching, but have had no luck stopping it yet.

I do take meds since my angioplasty 8 years ago...for blood pressure and cholesterol lowering. I suspect the use of those meds has caused my immune system to no longer reject the allergic reaction to the sun.

Obviously I wear long sleeves, gloves, and large brimmed hat when having to sit in the sun while judging. At the last assignment, the club had a canopy I sat under, which helped immensely, but I still had to be out in the sun off and on during the day, and I itched like mad for a couple of days afterward, and could find no relief until the 'sunburn' wore off.

I've tried the 'home' remedies...alchohol, vinegar etc. Plus all the 'store-bought' salves, sprays, and lotions from Gold Bond to Lanacaine...from Hydrocortisone to Calimine lotion. I've taken Benedryl and other brands of antihistamines, as well as pills for hives and that family of "itch-makers".

So, as you can see, I'm running out of ideas to even try to resolve the problem. Subsequently I'm turning to the RTF family to see if any of you have had this or a similar problem, and what worked for them. Not only would I appreciate suggestions for helping to eliminate the sun from attacking the skin, (other than staying indoors)... but also any remedy you think might stop the itching.

I've even gone to a dermatologist, which was a disaster. Her prescrition caused the itching to amplify, and her idea for a prescribed sun screen seemed to magnify the sun, and I burned worse than if I'd worn nothing.

Any suggestions?

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Please try a homeopathic remedy! There is one called apis mellifica. It is for itching caused by bites or allergies. It comes in a little tube of small round pills, and you can get it at most large drug stores, or health food stores. I use it with success. You can also find it in a gel some places, which might help topically. You can also use calendula cream, and try another little pill type called Urtica urens.

You might already know about clothing that blocks the sun-I wear shirts from a company called Sun Solutions (used to be Solumbra).
    Last edited by pupaloo; 07-22-2008 at 11:38 AM.
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Any suggestions?

UB
    move to London, Vancouver, or Seattle...

UB
    Being a Florida native that has spent decades in the sun, I can tell you there is not much you can do for it. I never had any sun problems until I hit 40 and now I have something very similar to what you describe, even to the point of getting what looks like mosquito bites on the back of my neck. The only things I find that prevent it is clothing. Zinc oxide woks somewhat, but who wants to go around looking like a clown with your face painted.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

UB - In the course of medicinal experiments (those statins you are reading about on TV) my chemistry got screwed up. I developed a ringworm looking rash - which itched. The regular doctor prescribed clotrimazole & betamethasone dipropionate (cream) USP, 1%/0.05%. Worked like a champ & not too pricey. At least for us geezers on Medicare.

Hope it helps - gave me quick relief.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Talking

Dang Bill have you been in my medicine cabinet??....The blood pressure medicine combined to make me allergic to the sun .I get lumps over all exposed skin out in the sun. I sure don't make my neighbors happy mowing my lawn at night..... This sun allergy sure does mess with your outdoor activities... Hope we can find something that works.......Otey
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Most Sunscreens Don't Work as advertised - See: http://cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens2008/
    for the list of those that do and do not work.

I would try detox! Find someone that practice natural medicine. Most of the time the problem is underlying. The skin is how our body gets rid of toxins which seems to speed up when we are hot and in the sun. I haven't used a doctor for years. Used to have allergies and my skin would break out when in the sun. Since I went natural health I have neither problem.
    Brad Lhotak
    Home of PD Drake of Miss Jenna MH QAA(Passed 07 & 08 master national)
    2x GMPR MPK's Dakota Diamond Boss Liz MH
    4x GMPR TDK's Little Ann's Makin Dust MH
    4x GMPR Quivern in the Mist MH (Misty)
    GMPR Roux's Golden Diamond in the Rough QAA
    GMPR Cashman's Risky Raider's Brandi JH

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Seem like every August - Early October I get an area on my forearms that is sensitive to the sun. I develop a reddening that is actually hot to the touch and itches like crazy, it will wake me up at night. I am on benedryl most of the time anyway for nasal allergies but during this timeI have found that Band-Aid has a gel product that both cools it down and controls the itch. It is simply called Anti-Itch Gel. Comes in about a 5 inch tall clear plastic tube, just a little dab rubbed on it when I first begin to itch blocks the problem.

Good luck to you. That itching will drive you crazy!
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

It has many times, Vicky. I've spent many sleepless nights scratching and re-washing my hide to remove the last potion applied, and slapping on another, only to have it wear out in 10 to 15 minutes. It's just damned miserable.

Did you mean Benedryl has a lotion? I've tried that and had zero success. Works for 15 minutes, like all the others...Calimine lotion, Hydrocortisone, Lanacaine, et al. Even went so far as to try that anti-itch Prep-H.

Quite frankly, the plain old rubbing alchohol works as good as anything. Along with plenty of Jack Daniels alchohol, I can eventually doze off for a few hours. Waking up is then a bigger problem.

I just got my pharmacist to do a printout on all the drugs having an adverse reaction of photosensitivity...6 pages with 48/page. I was surprised my BP meds weren't on the list, but the acid reflux med that works wonders was, as well as ALL the statins for cholesterol control...which I'm seriously considering giving up. I'm presently on simvistatin (Zocor), but am wondering about it's necessity.

When I get back on the water fishing this weekend with the grandkids, they'll just have to put up with their G-pa looking like a clown in his facial of zinc oxide.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.