The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collar Wise

Default Collar Wise

Finding out that my dog had become collar wise I decided to start formal obediance over. I have been trying to take him to the pond in the evenings to mark. Do I take a lead out there, b/c I cant give the commands I cant enforce. He pretty much does as he likes after he fetches it. (only brings it to about 5 ft of me) Or do I stop the marks until after he is FF?

Thanks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ledl2048 View Post
    Finding out that my dog had become collar wise I decided to start formal obediance over. I have been trying to take him to the pond in the evenings to mark. Do I take a lead out there, b/c I cant give the commands I cant enforce. He pretty much does as he likes after he fetches it. (only brings it to about 5 ft of me) Or do I stop the marks until after he is FF?

Thanks
    Whoa,,, whoa,,, whoa!!! How old is your dog and what do you mean by "collar wise?"

Angie

Sounds like your dog has not been properly obedience trained or force broken???
    A Lab's best friend is the person holding the food dish.

13 months. I have been doing the OB work like in Smartworks for over two weeks. He was injured as a pup and I did not follow a good program so I started over with Smartworks.

He does not obey w/o the collar (I stopped giving commands without it on since following the program). I have been doing OB work for two weeks and have found no improvement either. Keep doing formal OB work?

There's not a lot of information here, but let me take a stab at it.

First, the dog has to have warn a collar for a while. With my own dog's, they never go outside without a collar on from about six months on, even though it isn't used on them. They always associate the collar with fun and later training and fun.

Second, It's my belief that every dog should be totally trained without the collar, before the collar is used on it. The collar is then only used to reinforce all ready known commands. I introduce the collar to the dog when it is nearly done with obedience and force. Then the collar reinforces these commands.

I don't think you've followed this sequence and trained the dog well enough to be using the collar on it. The dog is going to view it as a negative rather than a positive influence. In my opinion.

If a dog wears the collar continually, whenever he is out of the house, even if going for a ride with you, the dog never really becomes collar wise. Doing things correctly is so ingrained in the animal that the dog obeys collar on or collar off. Put in on just for training and you're headed for trouble.

I agree with the above- I think the dog needs to go back through basic obedience with a chain collar- you can put the e-collar on but don't use it. You need to get the dog to response and learn all the basics without a collar- if you are properly bonded with the dog even a big "NO" should elicit a proper response from your dog- if he simply does not care to listen then spend time rolling your dog on his back and pinning him down- or scratching his belly- you want the dog to respond to verbal or body language and the simply obedience chain first...later you can move on to the collar. If you are having trouble seek out an obedience pro for help- I hired a private session for 10 weeks with my dogs- that was a great learning experience for myself and the dog. I had 2 dogs and would meet the pro for 1 or 2 hours depending on the situation once per week. Then I would spend all week repeating the drills. I learned the hard way it is best to train one dog at a time...

Banned

GONEHUNT'N wrote,,,,
    If a dog wears the collar continually, whenever he is out of the house, even if going for a ride with you, the dog never really becomes collar wise. Doing things correctly is so ingrained in the animal that the dog obeys collar on or collar off. Put in on just for training and you're headed for trouble.
    So every FC-AFC and all flavors on down wears a collar when they walk out the door or kennel????

You have got to be kidding???? Name me one FC/AFC or MH who has had that happen to them???

And don't say your's cause we don't know who you are.....

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    So every FC-AFC and all flavors on down wears a collar when they walk out the door or kennel????

You have got to be kidding???? Name me one FC/AFC or MH who has had that happen to them???

And don't say your's cause we don't know who you are.....

Angie
    Angie, Angie, Angie, I see you're still as miserable a B@#$ as ever. I never implied a finished or old trained dog had to have that done. Pretty important for a developing youngster though which is what this person has.

So the Queen of The Poisonous Posts just straps a collar on and goes to town?

Why don't you post some useful information is you feel what I posted is incorrect and help this poor poster out, who has asked not for a useless rant from you, but for help.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ledl2048 View Post
    13 months. I have been doing the OB work like in Smartworks for over two weeks. He was injured as a pup and I did not follow a good program so I started over with Smartworks.
    Collar wise how???

Angie