The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If its not EIC, then what could it be??

Default If its not EIC, then what could it be??

I have had Pyper tested for EIC, both blood and cheek swab and she came back clear. It was suggested to look into CSS (canine stress syndrome). The description has her name all over it, but so far there are no formal tests to prove that is what it is. When this first started, I did have other tests run at the vet and would have to look them up, but everything came back good for her, thats when I had her tested for EIC.

Yesterday evening, we were out in the yard. The dogs were all at rest while I kicked my hubby's butt at Bocci ball, and then I went into the house. Rene let the dogs out of the kennel and he tossed the ball around for them and then played hide n seek. It wasn't to bad weather wise and they weren't playing for long...mabey 10 minutes...15 max. (he had all three dogs running around, and the yard ain't that big).

Now its time to come in and Pyper is just standing at the bottom of the stairs. I knew right away what was happening. I got Rene to pick her up and bring her in so we could cool her down. Got the fan out, some cold cloths out for her. Usually, its just her back end that sways a bit, but last night she couldn't stand up at all. her front and back end were very unstable, so I tried to get her to at least sit. She couldn't do anything for a few minutes. but when she did, I still had to hold onto her, as she would have fallen over. I kept cooling her off ( I never had a chance to take her temp) It usually lasts only about 5 - 10 minutes and then she is good to go. This probably took 15 - 20 minutes. We have never seen her like this. She wasn't working, it wasn't hot out, they were just playing and she had no control what so ever. That was scarey.

I realize you guys don't know my dog, but is it possible for a dog to die from this?? How do I continue to train for Hunt Tests. Senior or Seasoned tests are a little more work then Junior....what should I do?

thanks.
    NO TRESPASSING!!!! VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT.....SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN.

Debbie,

You should consult the breeder and pursue the problem with your vet. Maybe between the three of you , an answer can be found.

Good Luck,
    N
    When it quits being fun...we retire!

Nancy Neipert with
    Skeeter, my avatar (Deepwoods Off and Fly'n High, MH, MNH, MN09,10, 11.
    Gypsy (Windigo Deja Voodoo Gypsy Pearl, D List, QAA, MH) MN10 & to MD11
    Mary (Stellars Proud Mary) first Lean Mac dog
    Ted (Deepwoods Spirit of the Wild), now the baby & Suzie's grandson...
    Suzie (Watermarks Slough Foot Sue, MH, 2000-2011 - Farewell dear companion)

How old is your dog? Is it possibly (I hope not) CNM?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    How old is your dog? Is it possibly (I hope not) CNM?
    Bingo!! My thoughts exactly....

Angie

I haven't had her tested for CNM yet? Are the symptoms somewhat the same as EIC? As for chatting with the breeder, I haven't been able to get ahold of him for 2 years now. He has moved to Texas and that's the last I heard...The vet is baffled as well, but when I brought her in for EIC, she was un aware of what it even was. I had some information printed off and brought it to her before she did the blood work that was sent to Katie Minor. Pyper is going to be 3 in December.
    NO TRESPASSING!!!! VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT.....SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN.

There is some similarity of symptoms but CNM is generally much worse. You can read descriptions at http://www.labradorcnm.com. Do you have a pedigree for your dog? You can find the information for testing on the same website.

When I first got into dogs, a collie I had collapsed while I was with him at his breeders. We rushed him to the vet, and he hooked him up to a heart machine, we called Cornell (this was so long ago) and they listened to the heart by phone. The conclusion was he had a slow heart beat, and had something called "hunting dog syndrome" got too excited and his blood sugar dropped. I just watched him in the heat, and they told me to keep honey around-
    Back then that is what they called most of those things. Kinda makes you wonder..
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

Since no one really knows what the problem might be perhaps we can help you find the breeder...if you care to pm texas people...maybe they can help you there...
    When it quits being fun...we retire!

Nancy Neipert with
    Skeeter, my avatar (Deepwoods Off and Fly'n High, MH, MNH, MN09,10, 11.
    Gypsy (Windigo Deja Voodoo Gypsy Pearl, D List, QAA, MH) MN10 & to MD11
    Mary (Stellars Proud Mary) first Lean Mac dog
    Ted (Deepwoods Spirit of the Wild), now the baby & Suzie's grandson...
    Suzie (Watermarks Slough Foot Sue, MH, 2000-2011 - Farewell dear companion)

the causes for episodic weakness in dogs in no particular order of frequency

hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), there are various causes for this

cardiovascular disease, there are many

EIC, apparently ruled out

Addison's disease, a defect of the adrenal gland where the body produces inadequate amounts of essential hormones

hypothyroidism

atypical epilepsy or focal motor epilepsy

blood analysis and special diagnostic tests can identify most of these disorders

the suggestions of CNM are very unlikely as these dogs have a typical obvious physical appearance and episodes of weakness begin early in life and generally are more collapse than weakness
    The epitaph written by one of his daughters:

"Resting here until day break when shadows fall and darkness disappears lies Quanah Parker, last Chief of the Comanches"

there are at least 6- 7 different types of myopathy!!!!!!!!

lg evelyn