The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If its not EIC, then what could it be??

could it be low blood sugar? My mom had a poodle that acted like that
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Have you had a color doppler done of her heart? EKG? Test for Diabetes?
    Just suggestions.
    Darlene
    Goldust Labs

As posted on another thread...

Interestingly enough, last night I heard a tail of one FT dog that has never shown any sign of EIC testing as affected and yet another that has long shown signs testing clear. Granted I did not see the test results, but I did get it from a very reliable source. Just makes you wonder…

Might be worth the effort to see if the EIC results come out the same on a second test. This has got me very interested in the controls used to establish and do this test
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I have no reason to question the accuracy of the tests done during the research phase. However, the process of gathering cheek swabs at a trial -- often testing all dogs on a trainer's truck -- has enough opportunities for mis-identification that I would definitely tend to retest using the official test. The process of vet-certified blood samples offers many fewer opportunities for errors.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    I have no reason to question the accuracy of the tests done during the research phase. However, the process of gathering cheek swabs at a trial -- often testing all dogs on a trainer's truck -- has enough opportunities for mis-identification that I would definitely tend to retest using the official test. The process of vet-certified blood samples offers many fewer opportunities for errors.
    Misidentification in any stage, research or official test, is a huge issue and one that is not at all acceptable under any circumstance. If mistakes are made at the very beginning of the process, it calls into question the entire process. Not to mention the affect a false positive or false negative can have on a dogs owner.
    IF you call into question one aspect the rest must follow
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Misidentification in any stage, research or official test, is a huge issue and one that is not at all acceptable under any circumstance. If mistakes are made at the very beginning of the process, it calls into question the entire process. Not to mention the affect a false positive or false negative can have on a dogs owner.
    IF you call into question one aspect the rest must follow
    I'm actually not calling anything into question, you are. My dog was identified as EIC affected based on a blood test submitted by my vet following two EIC typical collapses. I still sent in another sample for the "official" test so the results can be posted on OFA.

I have had her tested for diabetes, thyroid was done...they tested her urine, but I am not sure if they used a dopler for her heart, just the stethescope. She is a perfectly retarded dog 99% of the time, but for some reason, she just gets herself so worked up and then this happens. This is the third time since the snow left. I do monitor her and make sure we aren't working in the middle of the afternoon, and I can tell when its going to happen and I just carry her off and make her rest. She comes around, but I don't work her for a couple of days after that. I let her do her own thing, but nothing more. She gets so jacked up just putting her leash on to go outside. Her breathing is so fast ALL of the time, I almost hyperventilate....thats how I explain it to the vet or anyone who asks. It has to make her dizzy....

thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am going to get her tested for CNM, as well as the new pup, but from what I read so far, I don't think its that, but who knows right??

take care, and if I get anything back, I'll keep ya posted.
    NO TRESPASSING!!!! VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT.....SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN.

I had a female that collapsed like you describe during a jump shoot for ducks. After the excitement of flushing a flock of woodies and dropping two of them (with two shots I might add no wonder she was excited!) She made the retrieves and we walked just a short way to the road and she started staggering and collapsed on the road. I carried her home but before I could get the 1/4 mile there she started struggling and came out of it. Vet checked her out and said it was blood sugar drop due to excitement. Said to carry caramels while hunting and give her one before and during the hunt and she would be OK. Did that and it never happened again.
    Last edited by Hambone; 08-05-2008 at 05:25 PM.
    I think they were all made to shoot because if they were not why did they give them that whirr of wings that moves you suddenly more than any love of country . . . I think that they were made to shoot and some of us were made to shoot them and if that is not so well, never say we did not tell you that we liked it.

E. Hemingway

We used to keep Karo syrup on hand
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

what is Karo syrup....is that human food, and if she is in the middle of her collaps, how do I give it to her. I tried letting an ice cube drip onto her tongue, but she wouldn't have any part of it.
    NO TRESPASSING!!!! VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT.....SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN.