The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will owners really post EIC results in OFA?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    Except in the case of top stud dogs. They remain mum.
    My understanding is that at least one prominent stud was was tested at the Minnesota trials last year and the owner now claims the dog was never tested.

If you owned an FC/AFC stud dog that was identified as a carrier in the research phase, would you re-test now that the same test is officially available?

I think most in that situation will not.

Since OFA only accepts "official" results, persons with dogs identified as carriers in the research phase are not able to post that info, even if they wanted to do so.

IMO, at some point in the near future, if a dog isn't listed on the OFA site as EIC "clear", most will assume the dog is a carrier.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Quote Originally Posted by nimloth View Post
    I think that a LOT of people will test..... but will they make their results public?? That was my concern.

I was surprised at how few people used OFA to post results for PRA. Sure, it costs $15, but I thought a lot would submit to make it public. Heck, there are 90 PRA records in LabraData, from which 22 are carriers (almost as many as reported in OFA) and even one affected dog listed with his pedigree. Perhaps it is the cost of reporting that is an issue. People hate getting unpleasant results and then feel insulted they have to pay to make it public
    Ironically, my dog is at the vet right now for hip, elbow, thyroid and prcd-PRA (Heart was already done, but I've misplaced paperwork, so have to wait for another clinic and submit to OFA). Every clearance is going to be submitted to OFA-good news or heartbreak. It has nothing to do with his being bred (he may never be), but allowing the owner of his sire & dam to see what they are producing.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you can’t take it back…"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Melanie Foster

People hate getting unpleasant results and then feel insulted they have to pay to make it public
    Absolutely. I think most folks view OFA as a site to list "clearances" and to be honest, with the way I have seen people react to carrier status, I can't say I blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff t. View Post

IMO, at some point in the near future, if a dog isn't listed on the OFA site as EIC "clear", most will assume the dog is a carrier.
    That is what I would assume too.

Owner of the dam I'm getting my next FT bred pup from just got word that his bitch is EIC CLEAR. That's one down and one to go. Waiting on results on the stud.

Will the results be posted on the same page as hips, elbows, CERF ?
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

I have submitted everything I can to OFA...I will do the same with the "official" EIC results when they come back. I really like doing "background checks" on various dogs, just for research purposes...right now, OFA has a lot of "holes" where people haven't submitted results (or done tests?) for whatever reason, but it still has a lot of good information on it and is a great way to trace pedigrees.

I think that OFA should definitely consider posting "affected" or "carrier" results at no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff t. View Post
    I think that is an accurate statement. I wouldn't have any problem approving the publishing of negative results, but I doubt I would pay to have them published. I took five dogs to the vet yesterday for drawing blood for the EIC test. I think you can safely assume that, if you don't see one of them listed as clear on OFA, it will be a carrier. Since we are looking at a 40% carrier rate I expect to have a carrier or two this time around but that won't be the case in the next generation, at least not in my kennel.

One thing I have been wondering about is if they will accept swabs for testing on puppies under the age of 6 weeks. I can't see drawing "1-3 ml of blood" out of puppies that young, but I do expect to test some puppies out of carriers before they go to their new homes or remain in my kennel.
    Last edited by Ken Archer; 08-06-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Wink

Hey, Mr. Booty. I got you on my puppy list for next year when I breed one of my girls

Hey, Mr. Booty. I got you on my puppy list for next year when I breed one of my girls
    Looking forward to it!
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

[QUOTE=nimloth;317479]I think that a LOT of people will test..... but will they make their results public?? That was my concern.

From the looks of it, no. I asked the breeder of a litter the other day if they were going to test for EIC and their response was

"Why ? If we test for everything we will never have any great dogs!"

This is a big name breeder and trainer that all would be familiar with, and it made me lose all respect for them.

Question

Originally Posted by jeff t.

OK... I got jumped by Marilyn last week because I commented that this is what I have heard from some people about the CNM white list. Do many of you feel the same way about the White List as you do about OFA - if dogs aren't listed you assume they are carriers?