The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will owners really post EIC results in OFA?

Williamsburg, MO, just behind Crane's Store

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Wade View Post
    Every clearance is going to be submitted to OFA-good news or heartbreak. It has nothing to do with his being bred (he may never be), but allowing the owner of his sire & dam to see what they are producing. (my emphasis - Debbie)

M
    And maybe that is the answer. Hopefully, these tests will be done on young dogs before they get their titles and when the "hush hush" begins because of the stud fees and puppy prices involved -

Yes, it would be a heartbreak to have an affected or carrier pup, but if the owners of the sire and dam won't step forward then the puppy owners MUST and let the chips fall where they may.

If either or both of the parents' owners won't publish their dog's info, then we as the buying public are left to draw our own conclusions about which one is throwing "bad" - and, in time, the offender will be outted.

Debbie

I'll post my results as soon they arrive. FC-AFC.

I don't know how much money The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc. has in its coffers, but if it could arrange to subsidize the cost of posting good results to the OFA for all the Labradors that have had the DNA tests done I am sure more people would submit their dogs results. With a program like that, if the tests results aren't in OFA's data base, then one could assume that the dog has not had a test done or maybe it is a carrier/affected dog.
    Lady Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie Foster View Post
    I think most folks view OFA as a site to list "clearances"
    Melanie, I agree with your OFA clearances part of your statement. People do go to the OFA website to check for clearances. When there is no clearance, you do have to wonder why not.

When there is a hip clearance, but not one for elbows, I am one of those who really wonders why nothing for elbows.

When a dog has to be put under to do hip x-rays, you might as well do their elbows, too, is my thinking. No clearance for elbows sort of indicates to me that the elbows did not pass. This is for recent times. I can understand why there are no elbow reports for dogs of yesteryear.

If I was considering using a stud dog or purchasing a puppy from a litter and there was no elbow clearance on OFA, I would be asking the owner point blank if the elbows had been x-rayed and did not pass. As a breeder or a buyer, I want to know.

Just my take on the usefulness of OFA's website and how important passing elbows are to me.
    Don's girls:
    FC AFC Flyway's Ruby B. Gonia - a Carbon daughter and now a grandma (my avatar)
    AFC Flyway's Long Tall Sally - Ruby's daughter
    Flyway's Iron Lady (Maggie) - Ruby's granddaughter. Maggie's the new puppy in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Booty View Post
    Looking forward to it!
    Already cheating around on me, are you Booty????

I don't really think it matters if they make it public or not. It will be up to the breeder to request a copy of the certification that they are clear if they want to breed to one or the other. Also up to the pup buyer to request proof that the pup is clear, both eic and cnm as well as other ailments. I'm looking for a stud dog now for my eic clear and cnm clear bitch. I have a short list, some very talented dogs, but many owners have not tested and it limits me right now, after the test is out for a while there will be no excuses. If anybody wants my list of clear stud dogs, I'll be happy to share. I do think pups with eic and cnm clear papers will bring a premium price if good breeding goes along with it. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by nimloth View Post
    Do many of you feel the same way about the White List as you do about OFA - if dogs aren't listed you assume they are carriers?
    No. I don't. I don't assume anything.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by nimloth View Post
    OK... Do many of you feel the same way about the CNM White List as you do about OFA - if dogs aren't listed you assume they are carriers?
    1. If I knew a particular dog had been tested for CNM, but their name did not appear on the white list, I would assume they were either affected or a carrier.

2. If I knew there were CNM carriers in a given litter and one of the parents had been tested clear and was on the white list, I would assume the other parent was the CNM carrier.

Same with affected puppies. If one parent is on the white list as being clear, it has to be the other parent.

3. From this point forward, if a top (living) stud dog's ads do not list CNM clear and they are also not on the CNM white list, I will assume they are a carrier or affected.

Anyone who owns a top stud dog certainly can afford to get the test done.
    Don's girls:
    FC AFC Flyway's Ruby B. Gonia - a Carbon daughter and now a grandma (my avatar)
    AFC Flyway's Long Tall Sally - Ruby's daughter
    Flyway's Iron Lady (Maggie) - Ruby's granddaughter. Maggie's the new puppy in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I don't really think it matters if they make it public or not. It will be up to the breeder to request a copy of the certification that they are clear if they want to breed to one or the other. Also up to the pup buyer to request proof that the pup is clear, both eic and cnm as well as other ailments. I'm looking for a stud dog now for my eic clear and cnm clear bitch. I have a short list, some very talented dogs, but many owners have not tested and it limits me right now, after the test is out for a while there will be no excuses. If anybody wants my list of clear stud dogs, I'll be happy to share. I do think pups with eic and cnm clear papers will bring a premium price if good breeding goes along with it. Bud
    The dogs with talent that are proven producers of talent will bring a premium price whether or not the owners choose to share or even test. Fact is people will roll the dice and pay top dollar for a chance to own a winner. Always nice to think we are changing the future of our dogs but human nature is just that.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen in N. Calif. View Post
    1. If I knew a particular dog had been tested for CNM, but their name did not appear on the white list, I would assume they were either affected or a carrier.

2. If I knew there were CNM carriers in a given litter and one of the parents had been tested clear and was on the white list, I would assume the other parent was the CNM carrier.

Same with affected puppies. If one parent is on the white list as being clear, it has to be the other parent.

3. From this point forward, if a top (living) stud dog's ads do not list CNM clear and they are also not on the CNM white list, I will assume they are a carrier or affected.

Anyone who owns a top stud dog certainly can afford to get the test done.

I'm confused by this part of your post "Same with affected puppies. If one parent is on the white list as being clear, it has to be the other parent. "
    I thought the only way you got an affected pup was for both parents to be carriers. One clear parent means you should at worst only get carriers or clear.

Correct me please, if I'm wrong.

Marty
    Marty & Lesa
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers
    Fort Worth, Texas
    817-564-3560
    www.ramblinmaxx.com