The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Cloning - Great opportunity for research into role environment vs heredity.

Default Cloning - Great opportunity for research into role environment vs heredity.

Looks to me like cloning would be a great opportunity to measure the role of environment and training in a dog vs. the role of genetics in their behaviors. Raise a litter with a structured development program followed by a structured training program. Then raise clone litter under a different development program and different training program. Measure and record progress and results. How about clicker training vs. electric collar?

Best Regards,
    Robert Milner
    duckHillKennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by rmilner View Post
    How about clicker training vs. electric collar?

Best Regards,
    Robert Milner
    duckHillKennels.com
    I think it would be interesting. I have 3 dogs that are really high rollers and some folks at my retriever club were saying that over the years you notice that certain people always seem to have the same type of dog. They thought it had something to do with the environment that the puppies came up in.

I'm still waiting to see any dog that has been clicker trained go out and win. I really think that clicker training has a place in puppy training, but at some point things need to be formalized.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Buzz,
    I have been experimenting a good bit with clicker training for several years. I certainly think its great for puppies. From what I have seen so far, I think that is possible to produce with clicker training the behaviors needed to win field trials. The problem lies in figuring out how to structure the training. I have had great success with young dog in using a clicker for steadying. I start with food reward for staying and over several lessons transform it into a retrieve reward for staying. The first group of 6 I tried with it got it in 6 to 8 five-minute lessons and it carried over to field and water. That to me was pretty powerful compared to some of the problems I have had in the past steaying dogs with conventional training.

I believe with some innovative thinking one could structure some training protocols that would apply to lining, tight angle entries, whistle stopping, etc.. I would envision a structure where the correct behavior "buys" a click and the completion of the retrieve would be the reward. My biggest problem to date has been getting "outside of the box" created by 40 years of conventional training. It is probably a better project for a young guy with a behaviorist background and with minimum baggage of conventional experience.

My other problem is lack of time. I am devoting a good bit of my dog training acitivities toward trying to develop better training and development protocols for Urban Search and Rescue dogs and for explosive detection dogs. I think that those functions are quite important and will become more so as we move into the future.

Best Regards,
    Robert Milner
    www.duckhillkennels.com