The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Answering Ads....

Senior Member RailRoadRetrievers's Avatar

Default Answering Ads....

Has this ever happened to you before, you post an ad for something on Craig's List or a forum of some sort (like this one, I have a chain link kennel for sale, its still for sale, one of you jerks needs to buy it) and when they call about the ad you starting talking dogs pretty quick and then all of a sudden you start getting the following line of questioning

What kind of dog do you got?
    Does it hunt?
    I betcha training a dog like that would make it worth a lot of money?
    How much do you think your dog is worth?
    What color did you say it was?
    Huh, so is your dog a good hunting dog, wonder how much the pups would bring?

Needless to say I answered, yellow female, she ain't worth two shiney nickles you got in your pocket.

I guess I need to start locking my freaking kennel runs up. My dog is worth no more than I paid (and that's questionable), but I don't want someone stealing her and trying to make her worth more than she is.

So what if this nosey mofo comes out today to buy the kennel and sees my freaking pup and decides to give thefting her a try tonight. WWRTFERSD.

Thanks for the heads up, I have some kennels I need to sell. I'll have to make up some story about how they are so mean they are chewing through them so I had to get rid of the dogs and the kennels.
    Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
    www.northmountainretrievers.com

I would tell them the dog is fixed, that would take a lot of temptation out of it. You bet I would have a big lock on it as well
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    I would tell them the dog is fixed, that would take a lot of temptation out of it. You bet I would have a big lock on it as well
    Not necessarily. In this area, they take dogs to use as bait for fighting dog training.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I just said a lot, not all. The caller was interested in what puppies would bring...
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I've had some that gave me the willies and made me more aware that there are people out there who are actively looking for dogs/pups and not for the right reasons. My husband had a nice sign made with Rainmaker Labs on it for me as a surprise but after some thought, we opted not to post it on the road as I don't want just anybody wandering in here "looking". We were having new carpet installed in our last house before moving back here and the carpet estimator saw I had a litter of 11, he asked me how much, I could see the bells going off and it really made me nervous and far more careful about locking up and also not spreading the word locally that I have Labs or pups. Often tradespeople, the meter guy, the LP delivery guy, etc, start asking me a lot of specifics and while they probably have no evil intent, who knows who else they talk to, so I don't get into much with anyone without first establishing some background. Sad, who doesn't love to talk dogs all day any day with anyone that will listen, but there are nasty people out there.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I'd tell them the dog died and that's why you are selling everything.
    Page

"Take pride in how far you have come, and have faith in how far you can go!" ~Christian Larson

don't invite him to look at the kennel - you'll find another buyer and you don't want this plug casing your crib and your dawg.
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

When they start asking too many questions I pull out my pump action shotgun and ratchet the pump a couple of times and make up some story that I gotta go out and kill something right away...saying the wife keeps 'er loaded with #2 buck just in case but I need to load 'er with bird shot to shoot those pesky pigeons, blackbirds, cats,etc...make sure you call before you show up since the wife's got a real quick trigger finger after what happened to her last year...

NW Panhandle of Florida, The Redneck Riviera

This is in my dog room....get one for your kennel.