RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

e-collar... what to expect

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  blacklabalvin 
#1 ·
So I'm introducing the collar today (Tri-tronics classic 70) and was wondering what kind of reaction to expect from the dog? I've had the collar on him late last night and early this morning just letting him run around with it on and playing fetch with the tennis ball. I started at 1 and didn't get much of a reaction with him so i bumped it up to 2 which he does all right if i want him to sit but I need to use 3 to get him to come here. He'll start running and trying to hide under anything to try and get away from it which is why i bumped it up to 3. He'll eventually come here but not as enthusiastically as before. Is he going to get over that stage and just start running back like before? Should I go back down to 2 for everything? The video tri-tronics provided doesn't help much at all. Wish they would've started with a dog thats never been introduced to a collar. they make it look so much easier that what it really is.

#2 ·
I think your dog needs to wear the collar inactive for quite a bit longer before you start training, (I know you can't undo, but you can back off for a while). And while you are waiting, a week to 2 weeks, beg, borrow or steal a copy of Lardy's collar conditioning video. He goes all the way from teaching the basics before you ever turn on the collar. I was a rank beginner when I started the collar conditioning. I surely didn't get it all right, but that video kept me from screwing up my dog too bad:rolleyes:

Good luck, and welcome!

#3 · (Edited)
Did you put your dog through a formal obedience program? Force-fetch program? When you introduce the e-collar to the dog, he/she must be on a lead at all times. The first day I notice lagging in the dog. The biggest thing is you have to read and watch your dogs attitude (tail,ears, body language,etc) when they had enough and may be throw a funny bumper or two.

#6 ·
Use the lowest level of stimulation to get a response- you are going too "hi"- I think- start with a very low level- you can do this without even giving him a command take him out for a walk- give him continuous stimulation when he is distracted with something else- the instant he turns toward you provide relief- this should be so low it is just a minor distraction for him- you don't want to see much reaction- it is all about timing- the dog needs to learn how to turn the collar off. This is at the lowest level first...eventually you will pair it with a command the dog already knows...but first do it without any command and the lowest level...When you get to the command start the "tickle" not a "burn" then the command and as soon as the dog reacts stop the "tickle"...at first it should only be a tickle not a burn...your timing is critical...this is how I watched a pro do it...he did not do it too many times and the session was over- do it for a week in different locations without an increase in stimulation...then start adding the commands...the dog needs to associate the tickle as a correction from the pack leader (you)- much like a quick but gentle snap on the choke chain...but you don't want to overwhelm the dog and make the dog react negatively like bolting...give the dog a "good boy or good dog" and pat him on the shoulder blades.

Maybe buy some videos on collar training...Dobbs is the Master- http://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/index.html however a lot of folks on this site recommend Evan Graham http://www.rushcreekpress.com/page1homepage.html

#7 ·
Personally, I would find a local pro to help you out, make sure your timing is correct and you completely understand what you are trying to explain to the pup with the collar. Most pros will give you a workout rate....just my first thought? Paul

#8 ·
2tall has good advice - let the dog wear the collar for quite awhile before you turn it on, and get a good training video - like Lardy's.

And, you could ask yourself the same question Ty 4 asked:

Did you put your dog through a formal obedience program? Force-fetch program?
He knows all the basic commands pretty well.
This statement doesn't sound all that reassuring. Don't try to use a collar to teach a dog something he doesn't already know really well.

Look into collar conditioning.

Feel free to ignore me. I haven't used a collar, but I'm echoing what I've read here, and heard from others countless times. This much of it, makes sense to me.

#9 ·
He's doing great now. I don't know if im just a good trainer or I have an excellent dog =). Force fetching went good and collar conditioning is on track. So far he'll heel,sit, and come when called with the collar. A few more sessions and i'm gonna start giving him a chance to beat the buzzer.

#10 ·
He's doing great now. I don't know if im just a good trainer or I have an excellent dog =). Force fetching went good and collar conditioning is on track. So far he'll heel,sit, and come when called with the collar. A few more sessions and i'm gonna start giving him a chance to beat the buzzer.
Dog training of any kind does not proceed in a smooth, seamless, continuous manner. You make great progress and then backslide, you reteach, you reinforce.

Any kind of training is solid or it is not, make sure your dog really understands, in a variety of situations and contexts, before you proceed.

Your dog may come, sit and heel with a collar. But, you can't test or trial with a collar. There's a risk that you and your dog will become dependent upon the collar.

Beat the buzzer? Are you trying to beat the buzzer? Slow down.

#11 ·
well, from what i've researched. from time to time you give the command sit, stimulate, release when the command is done. Then after a while of that, you give the command, pause a few seconds, then if the dog obeys, no pressure is applied, if the dog doesn't, pressure is applied.

He's been doing great now! From the tri-tronics video provided , the trainer said the pup should be wearing the collar at every single training session and that's what i've been doing. so far he's sitting, coming when called, and heeling with and without pressure.

#12 ·
I do it just a hair different than that. I give the command and stimulate. As soon as the dog begins compliance, I release the button. If he slows down I hit him again. I think the dog learns how to turn off the pressure faster this way and remains happier.

#13 ·
if u can't find a trainer near you (try not to go to a standard OB trainer or pet dog trainer if possible as they tend to use various methods and some involve treats i've seen) best to spend the money and purchase a Lardy, Fowl Dawg Vol 1, or even Farmer/Aycock DVD to get a good understanding on a step by step program. Its always better to have an experienced handler show you "live" if possible.

I know a few pet dog owners that buy these cheapo ecollars thinking all they need to do is put the collar on and start turning dails and pressing buttons. And a few huntin guys I've run into seem to be in a rush to get their dog trained up.

Just remember to take your time and think things through and then execute your program and to not be in any type of rush or timeline.

Nothing worse than a confused dog that becomes apprehensive because it doesn't know why its being stim'ed. Sounds like things are going good now so good luck!

#14 ·
#15 ·
I've been getting a lot of my help from research on the net and books i've purchased. One of my co-workers is also a trainer who owns two labs, one with a master hunter title under his belt. I've been asking him a lot of questions too since I got my lab and he's been real helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.