The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Ya gotta love the "no bird"

  1. #1
    Senior Member ChrisRobt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Mercer Island, Wa
    Posts
    236

    Default Ya gotta love the "no bird"

    During the master water triple Saturday, my boy Monty had a flyer which kept on flying and finally landed in the water about twice as far as it was supposed to be. The bird immediately started swimming (dumb enough to swim back towards the guns) and Monty was standing. The gunners sluiced the bird and MOnty hopped forward a bit. Another sluice and another hop as the bird kept on swimming. Finally the judges called a no bird and I attempted to corral Monty off the line (he was pumped!!); the judges told me to go ahead and put the lead on him as they called for a pickup dog. I leashed my boyo and put him back in the car. The look on his face as I led him away from "his birds" was priceless. When I came back several dogs later, he didn't move a muscle; he apparently thought my putting him up was a correction for his moving on the original flyer (we've been working on line steadiness and any transgressions earn a trip back to the car).

    BTW, he earned his first master ribbon this weekend
    Christine

    An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger.
    Dan Rather

  2. #2
    Senior Member SMITTYSSGTUSMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    OCEANSIDE CA
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Can't beat that for live training in the heat of the moment!!!

    and congrats on the ribbon
    WTF WAS WE THINKING I.E American Voters

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rick_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ontario, CA
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Congrats on the pass!!

    Was that at carnation? That was a good test but some of those flyers seemed to be bullet proof...or so say the gunners!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Juli H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The coldest part of Alaska
    Posts
    3,674

    Default

    Congrats on the pass! I heard there were a few other no birds at that test too (not sure if it was the same series or flight)...

    Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

    "There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

    - Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    Senior Member Richard Finch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    RIVER BOTTOMS
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Congrats brother!!





    Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

    HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander " Gander"
    Docheno's Raising A Ruckus "Ruckus"

    www.ducksloughkennel.com

    Romans 8:28

  6. #6
    Senior Member ChrisRobt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Mercer Island, Wa
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_C View Post
    Congrats on the pass!!

    Was that at carnation? That was a good test but some of those flyers seemed to be bullet proof...or so say the gunners!
    One bird landed on a small island (we had been told that flyers landing on the island would not be called "no bird") and a Golden sent to fetch it. As the Golden was searching the front of the island, the bird tumbled off the back and began swimming to the cattails 100+ yards away. The gunners alerted the judges and the handler then tried to call his dog back in (the dog was now swimming on the far side of the island). The dog got a rerun and eventually an orange ribbon.
    Christine

    An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger.
    Dan Rather

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northwest, In
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Congrats on the pass, glad that the no bird didn't hurt.
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC

  8. #8
    Senior Member Rick_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ontario, CA
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRobt View Post
    One bird landed on a small island (we had been told that flyers landing on the island would not be called "no bird") and a Golden sent to fetch it. As the Golden was searching the front of the island, the bird tumbled off the back and began swimming to the cattails 100+ yards away. The gunners alerted the judges and the handler then tried to call his dog back in (the dog was now swimming on the far side of the island). The dog got a rerun and eventually an orange ribbon.
    Yeah, same test.

    I wasn't sure that poor Golden was ever coming back, he was not going to give up on that duck!

    I think there were three or four shots in the air and at least two sluices and they still couldn't kill that duck. That's when the
    gunners said the duck had to be wearing kevlar, lol.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ChrisRobt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Mercer Island, Wa
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_C View Post
    Yeah, same test.

    I wasn't sure that poor Golden was ever coming back, he was not going to give up on that duck!

    I think there were three or four shots in the air and at least two sluices and they still couldn't kill that duck. That's when the
    gunners said the duck had to be wearing kevlar, lol.
    As far as I know, that poor duck is still out there in the cattails...
    Christine

    An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger.
    Dan Rather

Similar Threads

  1. I love the "Youth Hunt!"
    By Dogtrainer4God in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-06-2007, 07:42 PM
  2. "Blue I Love You Man" Old School
    By Jay H. Miller in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 07:41 PM
  3. Hailcall Kristie RE: "Love 'Em, Hunt 'Em, Test 'Em"
    By AmiableLabs in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 12:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •