RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Greatest athlete in the world? GDG

7K views 82 replies 51 participants last post by  Jacob Hawkes 
#1 ·
Had an arguement at work concerning Michael Phelps being called the greatest athlete in the world, TODAY. I defended the statement because he has been the best at many different events; often competeing vs people that have spent the last 4-8 years or more training for that ONE event. He on the other hand has been dominant, so far, at many events vs the best that the world could throw at him. Seems like he is only competeing vs himself and the current WR. Only time will tell if he can pull off all 8.

If he is not the best athlete in the world today, who is?

By what criteria?

#3 ·
I don't know that you can pick the world's greatest athlete. From sport to sport you are comparing apples to oranges. I would agree that Phelps is great and may be the best swimmer of all time. I think gymnasts are some of the best athletes around, for their strength and balance. But then a track star for his/her speed, power and endurance is great also. Too many variables.

#4 ·
Agreed, too many variables. I don't like hearing about the number of gold medals, because there are too many swimming events. Do you see a team usa basketball player getting a chance for gold in the slam dunk, free throw shooting, and 3 point shooting,,, no.

Also, swimming and many other sports require physical stamina and athleticism, but how about hand/eye coordination.

Phelps a better athlete than Bo Jackson was, NOT A CHANCE. Bo would out run, out sprint, out jump, out hit, out catch, out anything him (except for swim)... That's the truest form of athleticism. This topic gets me fired up. :mad:

#5 · (Edited)
Greatest Athelete in the world? No.
Greatest Olympian? Yes.

Greatest Athelte would be a toss up between Tom Dempsey (his record for the longest Field Goal ever has lasted over 30 years) or Craig Ironhead Heyworth. Ironhead could eat two slabs of ribs before a game then maul the opposing defense!;-)

#10 ·
Hes the best swimmer for sure. Best athlete, i doubt it. The cyclists performed a 6 hour + event. Find me another Olympic sport that lasts that long with continuous effort.....that being said any multi day road race is much more difficult than the Olympic race.

/Paul

#12 · (Edited)
#14 ·
The best athlete is so relative and the argument of who is the best is simply for our own entertainment and discussion. I would say that Phelps very easily could and probably should be considered one of the greatest athletes becuase of the pure dominance that he has shown in his sport. This is the same as Tiger Woods in his sport. This isn't saying that Tiger is a better athlete than Jim Brown, Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, etc... But, they (both phelps and tiger) have dominated their sports to a level where his name should be recognized among the best athletes of all time. I am not saying this because I am a swimming fan, heck I haven't watched swimming since the last olypics, just saying that when somebody is that dominant they deserve any and all props that come their way.

#18 ·
I wonder how many people know who that is? but yes i agree

Jason

#22 ·
Secretariat.
He was a horse that changed racing. Winning the Derby (Kentucky that is) and Preakness handily did not compare to his 31 length win in the the most greuling 1.5 mile race of the Triple Crown: the Belmont. In any other year Sham very well might have been honored with that triumph, but his efforts were thwarted by Secretariat. He was an incredible athlete with a 35' stride who I do not think will be matched in my lifetime.

~Moira

#23 ·
I think the gauge should be the level of dominance RELATIVE to their peers in their era.

Phelps has to be at the THE TOP OF THE LIST.

Others COULD include:

Ty Cobb
Babe Ruth
(maybe Alex Rodriguez before he's finished)

Tiger Woods (completely changed how golfers approach their sport; caused tournaments to lengthen their courses because of him)

Jack Nicholas

Lance Armstrong

Bill Russell (11 NBA Titles; only human to outplay Wilt consistently)
Michael Jordan (literally unguardable)

Eric Heiden was pretty unbelievable, but not like Phelps.

#25 ·
All I know is having all those world records and the most GOLD medals in an olympic career makes you a pretty special athlete. Maybe not the greatest athlete ever but off of the top of my head I cannot think of any greater... Also I think that you have to adjust for different sports. Yes all around athlets (like gymnasts who can do AMAZING things) and people with great stamina like Lance Armstrong and Marathon runners and such are great. However, nobody (that I am aware of) has been THIS dominant in their own sport.

All world records so far regards...

#27 ·
I've always kinda thought that decathletes were the best overall athletes. They have to excel in 10 different events. I don't want to take anything away from Phelps, but his sport is really geared to winning multiple medals. Any one on a team sport is at a huge disadvantage. USA women's softball has been dominate for years, but they only have the opportunity to win 1 medal in 4 years.

#32 · (Edited)
Michael Phelps and this ain't even up for discussion anymore. Most dominant olympian ever and he's not even done.Well the first half of your proposition is easily demolished. As to the second what measure do we have for dominance? Mr Phelps has certainly dominated one Games, but how about those like Al Oerter who really stay the course? When Phelps wins Gold in 2012, 2016, 2020, and 2024 he'll match Steve Redgrave who won five successive Golds in five successive Games; a unique achievement.

Given that the Games are not just a sporting contest but have a wider meaning, for me the greatest Olympian ever was Jesse Owens.

Athlete I most admire .... Hagler. Did it all with class. Or maybe Hearns? Or..

Eug

#33 ·
In general, professional boxers/mma are the best athletes. In particular, though, Phelps is the best athlete in the world right now. His accomplishments are beyond amazing.

Lance Armstong? Great athlete, for sure. Remarkable accomplishments, no doubt. Best athlete ever...um, not so much. Sorry, but the king of a sport that my 6 year old can participate in doesn't make me ooh and ahhh. Or should I be awed by the World Double Dutch Champion, too? :p;-)

#34 ·
Now Hew, take a deep breath and re-read what you just wrote. Technically, your 6 year old can PARTICIPATE in Mr. Phelps sport as well and you gush that "His accomplishments are beyond amazing." So please...ooh and ahhh as appropriate. :)

So here is my question:

If Michael Phelps has a total body fat percentage of 4% and someone else has a total body fat percentage of 40%, does that mean the person with 40% total body fat is 10 times as good as Michael Phelps?

PHAT Regards,

Joe S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.