RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Lepto Vacination - Any Adverse Reactions? RTF Vets?

4K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  EdA 
#1 ·
I did do a search on RTF but did not find a very clear answer. I did read the long post by Kris, however I felt the reference material was out dated. Did a google search, too.

I received an email from a friend who's Dad lost his dog to Lepto here in Colorado Springs area (Black Forest). I happen to have a Vet appointment today for the "hounds" to get other vacinations and thought I would ask about Lepto also. According to my friend's Vet there has been an increase of cases of Lepto in Black Forest and Fountain (where we live and do lots of training). I remember reading long ago about adverse reactions to the vacine, but that was long ago.....has things changed?

Any help before 3:00pm would be great....I do trust my current Vet(s) so I will discuss with them also, but I'd like to be a little more informed before going to the appointment.

FOM

#3 ·
Lainee, one of my dogs dropped as if shot when he got a Lepto shot. Vet gave him something and he was all right in about a 1/2 hr. Think it was maybe Benedryl that he gave him..........Otey

#4 ·
#5 ·
that was copy written in 2001. most articles I found were dated prior 2003. Hence why I asked to see if new info has come out. I'm going to chat with the Vet, since Lepto has been found in Fountain (where I live and train a lot) it is a concern. I had heard that prior some dogs had issue with the vacine....but I'm thinking it is improved over the years and may be worth the associated risk if any.

Thanks,

Lainee

#6 ·
Both of mine were fine, series of 2 and I got the newer one.
I will get Carbon Boosted when Poppins gets back and get her done too.
In the Charlotte area and where I train the drought has made these things very scary, and there are cases of lepto. I just will not chance it, current thinking and my vets research (as in cases NOW) influenced me.

#10 ·
Both of mine were fine, series of 2 and I got the newer one.
I will get Carbon Boosted when Poppins gets back and get her done too.
In the Charlotte area and where I train the drought has made these things very scary, and there are cases of lepto. I just will not chance it, current thinking and my vets research (as in cases NOW) influenced me.
Demi,

What brand vaccine did your dog receive?

J.

#7 ·
We had always been safe from lepto in C. WA until just recently. I'd highly recommend you go w/ a stand alone lepto vaccine containing the 4 main serovars because of the increased risk of reactions of lepto (esp when combined w/ other vaccines). I bought the Vanguard/Pfizer L4 from my vet and had no problems at all, administered 4 wks apart on all my dogs, despite having 2 girls come into season right after the first dose. I generally try to avoid heat seasons by a couple months when giving vaccines, as that's the only time I'd ever had a reaction in the past (immune system is somewhat depressed w/ heat cycles apparently).

Personally, I'd stay away from the Ft Dodge one since it seems like they have more problems w/ reactions than others. I had a couple pups in other homes have terrible reactions to FD vax. Anne

#8 ·
Small world. I just had this same conversation with my vet. Lepto is not common in the immediate Beaufort area, but my vet was to quick to point out that it IS a problem in the areas we go to train and test. He also told me about an improvement made to the vaccine in recent years that reduced any bad reactions. Having told me all that, he had no vaccine because as a pet vet, he rarely treats "traveling swimming dogs" (his words). So he is going to order some to share with the other vets in the area so that he can get some for Indy and Scout. I am definitely going to get it done. As he also pointed out, lepto is a danger and can spread to humans too.

#9 ·
I do lepto every year on approximately 12 adult Labs, always have, never had a reaction of any type, though working in a clinic, did see some, mostly just lethargic/stiff/sore for a day, sometimes some eye swelling, usually in pups or small breeds, rarely in adults. I've not had a reaction in my pups either and they start the lepto with their 3rd series of pup shots at 12 weeks or so. I keep waiting for the magic reaction that makes them sleep for a day but it hasn't happened yet. My vet uses Schering Plough, not Fort Dodge.

#11 ·
Lainee,
I don't know if this will help or not since I'm not familiar with recommendations in your area. In CA the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine sets guidelines that most vets in our area follow. I have a friend who is a DVM and also board certified in diseases. Her position on Lepto is pretty much the same as what is posted below, and she also adds that she prefers to wait until pups are over 4 mo of age when vaccinated. My dogs are vaccinated against Lepto because we hunt and train almost the entire year on public refuges which I think puts them at higher risk.
Here is UC Davis's link regarding core and non-core vaccinations and the paragraph on Lepto. Last revision 12/2007.
http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/vmth/clientinfo/info/genmed/vaccinproto.html

Canine Leptospira Vaccines
Multiple leptospiral serovars are capable of causing disease in dogs, and minimal cross-protection is induced by each serovar. Currently available vaccines do not contain all serovars, efficacies against infection with the targeted serovar are between 50 and 75%, and duration of immunity is probably about 1 year. However, leptospirosis is not uncommon in Northern Californian dogs with exposure histories involving livestock and areas frequented by wild mammals, the disease can be fatal or have high morbidity, and also has zoonotic potential. Therefore, we suggest annual vaccination of dogs living in/visiting rural areas or areas frequented by wildlife with vaccines containing all four leptospiral serovars (grippotyphosa, pomona, canicola and icterohemorrhagiae), ideally before the rainy season, when disease incidence peaks. The initial vaccination should be followed by a booster 2-4 weeks later, and the first vaccine be given no earlier than 12 weeks of age. In general, leptospiral vaccines have been associated with more severe postvaccinal reactions (acute anaphylaxis) than other vaccines. Whether the recent introduction of vaccines with reduced amounts of foreign protein has reduced this problem is still unclear. Vaccination of dogs in suburban areas with minimal exposure to farm animals or forested areas is not recommended. Anecdotally, the incidence of reactions has been greatest in puppies (< 12 weeks of age, and especially < 9 weeks of age) and small-breed dogs. A careful risk-benefit analysis is recommended before considering vaccination of small breed dogs at risk of exposure to leptospires.

Denise

#12 ·
I got my 7 month old done last year b/c my vet said here in North Georgia it can be an issue with warm stagnant water and other areas. He was only 7 months at the time and I did not notice any issues. My vet is normally pretty good about spelling out any issues or problems with certain shots/procedures. He did not even mention that there could be a reaction and I trust him so I think there must be a very limited risk for a bad reaction. I don't want to take any chances with it so I just get the shot.

#13 ·
The dogs I'm considering getting vacinated are 9.5 and 4.5 years old. Sounds like most "issues" are with younger and smaller dogs....

FOM

#14 ·
I usally split my Lepto from my rabies, and do it a week later... I don't get charged for another office call....

#15 ·
I usally split my Lepto from my rabies, and do it a week later... I don't get charged for another office call....
Flash is going in for Bordetella (I do this every 6 months for all dogs).
Bullet is going in for Giardia (I do this for all dogs because they love to drink nastey water from the ponds we train in - yuck)

Also Flash has an ear "infection" that I can't seem to get under control.....

FOM

#17 · (Edited)
Pfitzer (how do you spell it)- I called and asked. I spoke with my vet, and she said do not let them swim here,(as in Greenville) and that we needed to give it for sure this year. Interestingly enough, we tested for it when Carbon was sick all spring.
We have had a plethora of throw up/ diarhea stuff here this year, and it is awful. My vets are thinking the drought is partly to blame, and I tend to agree.
I never give my shots together, once you lose one to cancer things change.

#21 ·
Demi, we are going to train in Greenville this coming weekend. My vet hasn't gotten the vaccine yet. I am sort of scared now. Maybe we will just stay on dry land. What do you think?

#18 ·
It was my understanding that there are a number of different strains of lepto out there and no vaccine currently available would protect from all strains. That being said, our vet "will let not" any working dog out the door without vaccinating for lepto (or will very STRONGLY recommend the vaccination) .... better to be have the vaccine rather than wishing you had! They also do the vaccination as a stand alone rather than combining it with other vaccines.

We have had no reactions with the vaccines given to dogs from just over seven months to eight years or older.

#19 ·
That's why you should make sure your dogs are vacc'd w/ the stand alone, 4 serovar one. It contains the 4 main lepto strains, and from what I understand, they fairly decently cross protect for the other strains your dog may stumble upon (though far less likely). I also like giving it alone to make sure not to overwhelm the immune system any more than we have to.

All vaccine events should be spaced a minimum of 10 days (pref 2 weeks) apart too, btw. This is according to the U Penn folks. You can give lepto and bordatella or whatever all in one session but if you don't and decide to do bordatella a week later, it may not work.

#20 ·
Talked with the Vet, we are going to confirm whether or not there really is an issue with Lepto here in CO. Also since we did other vacines we decided to wait. They carry the Ft. Dodge version of the vacine, it vacinates for 4 of the 7 known Lepto strains. She said she would call me once she has a chance to make some phone calls.

FOM

#23 ·
Your choice-I just won't do it, as we have not had rain in 6 months.
I really won't train if there is no running water.
Honestly, I know where you will probably train, and you should be fine. I am just tired of a 2 1/2 year old losing 6 pounds overnight, so I am going north. They get rain everywhere but here.
Too hot for just land. Can't wait for cold weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.