The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Cut Paw

Tim

Default Cut Paw

Last Sunday my 1yr old chocolate lab cut his paw open in the water while training at the lake , that needed 10 stiches , and I got a lovely vet bill , just wondering do the heal up fast , he's right now limited on what he does due to vet orders , it just sucks two weaks before the season , Any thoughts ??

Tim

My dog has cut his several times during the season...to various degrees...the worst I had was instead of a deep gash (typicall) he flayed a whole chunk right off the top...nasty and took longer to heal

I keep him kenneled up as much as possible and off of it and it usually heels up pretty quick.

I will sometimes use the "sock" type boot to cover it if it is still tender.

from my exp though the healing is very quick on the pads.

Kristie Wilder

keep him off it, keep it covered, keep it clean... where exactly was the cut?

Usually 10 days for stitches to come out... So you may be ok...

-K

Whistler has 3000.00 feet. He sliced at least two and then two stayed infected-toe nail bed.
    Anyway, use the press on saran wrap stuff to air, keeps it clean, and if it is raining, dry. I used baby socks to protect it, but only if your dog won't eat it. Bengay works well as a deterent too.
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

Tim

We just got back from the vet tonite everything looks good heeling well , fresh bandages , I cover the foot with a saline bag pretty tuff , goes out to go to the bathroom thats it.

It was the big pad that got cut , tuff dog if i didn't look downafter he healed to me , I would have sent if on the next bumper that was out there , I lost a bumper no big deal , seems to be fine !! I will keep you posted !!

Thanks Tim