The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goose calls

Default Goose calls

In the market for a new goose call I had a olt for years, I like the zink call just a little pricey wonder what you all suggest thanks in advance

I sent you a pm

For an economical goose call (short reed) I'd suggest you check out the RichNTone Goozilla call:

http://www.basspro.com/RichNTone-Qua...product/64631/

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I use Hayes, but I just ordered a TG Real Thang. Just for a different pitch. I used to have a Foiles Straight Meat Honker. Loved that call too. But someone offered good money for my matched set. But my Hayes has always been my go to call. However Bob doesn't make the one I have any more. His inserts now are pretty thin walled compared so the pitch is higher.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaholic View Post
    I use Hayes, but I just ordered a TG Real Thang. Just for a different pitch. I used to have a Foiles Straight Meat Honker. Loved that call too. But someone offered good money for my matched set. But my Hayes has always been my go to call. However Bob doesn't make the one I have any more. His inserts now are pretty thin walled compared so the pitch is higher.
    Thin walled would not make the call "higher pitched", it would make the tone more mellow. A thicker walled call would have more crack to the call. A dense material like acrylic will have a sharper tone, a material like wood or polycarb would have more mellow sounding, buzzy tone. The pitch is dependent on the placement of the tone board and reed/wedge in the insert. You can tune any call to be lower or higher pitched. A shorter call will be easier to run and easier to get high sharp notes. A longer call will be able to get deeper but not as sharp when tuned light.

Anyways, I highly recommend checking out gkcalls.com. I'm a little biased since I competition call for them however their solution goose call has really stepped up my game. I actually used it to make the finals in the world goose last year. If you're looking for a cheaper call, they have a poured acrylic resin goose call called the giant slayer which is a good beginner call as well.
    Last edited by mikec; 08-20-2015 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Thin walled would not make the call "higher pitched", it would make the tone more mellow. A thicker walled call would have more crack to the call. A dense material like acrylic will have a sharper tone, a material like wood or polycarb would have more mellow sounding, buzzy tone. The pitch is dependent on the placement of the tone board and reed/wedge in the insert. You can tune any call to be lower or higher pitched. A shorter call will be easier to run and easier to get high sharp notes. A longer call will be able to get deeper but not as sharp when tuned light.

Anyways, I highly recommend checking out gkcalls.com. I'm a little biased since I competition call for them however their solution goose call has really stepped up my game. I actually used it to make the finals in the world goose last year. If you're looking for a cheaper call, they have a poured acrylic resin goose call called the giant slayer which is a good beginner call as well.
    I guess the point I was making is that his newer calls (Hammertime), are higher pitched. No matter where I have set the reed. My old Scorpion is alot more hollow sounding. Alot more goosey. I just think the wall thickness definitely contributes to this. Because the length is about the same.

Mine is far from the last word in Canada calls, but this displaced hillbilly has owned more of them than anyone here in Louisiana could ever justify, and I agree with Chris that the Goosezilla is a good value in an inexpensive call. Of the too many "custom" calls through my hands, Gander Valley's XXX has been my favorite, and at $110 for acrylic, it's also relatively inexpensive.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2014-2015 season log)

I use a winglock call and like it.

Im a Big fan of Field proven's Raptor it is available in acrylic and poly. I run the poly and have been very pleased.

My go to is a TG pro super mag, easy to run. I also have a TG poly super mag that I use as a backup, it's cheaper and works well just not as goosey as the other.