E Collar Strength
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E Collar Strength

Default E Collar Strength

Hey Everyone,

Are there some e collars that are stronger than others? Without trying to sound cruel, because I really don't like giving stimulation. I'm training my first retriever now working toward seasoned hunt tests and overall had a hard time over these couple years with my e collar (sport dog field trainer 425). For a while he didn't even feel it. On a normal day he is very obedient but tonight he took off after animals twice and wouldn't listen or come back. He vocalized when i got to the highest level but kept running away. I'm glad it was only a rabbit and a cat! Does anyone have experience with this and if so recommend any collars? Thank you

No experience with SD, but yes, some collars are "hotter" than others.
    Daren Galloway

Sounds like he hasn't been conditioned properly or consistently, when he got a good burn he bolted...might test your unit and make sure of a consistent fit when you put it on

I like that.. "hotter" ha! Seems like I might need a "hotter" collar then....

Consistency has always been what i have worked on John since I know how repetition gets the best improvement. just to clarify on my original post he chased the animal and received stimulation during his run not before. As for the collar fit, i have consulted club members on my fit and I thin the fur on a spot on his neck to ensure good connection so he always as the collar in the same location because of that

I always try the collar on my arm first. I had a friend that had the SD 425 and it was sporadic

Interesting.. Well that would be reason for a new collar as well! I know at least in this most recent incident that it was giving stimulation due to his vocalizations when I got to the top level.

If he was screaming you have plenty of collar. You need to train your recall and make sure your collar conditioning is thorough.
    Darrin Greene

While I appreciate the feedback I know that he is well versed in the words no and come. My thought was that the collar is there for reinforcement of his commands and when he disobeys the one he gets stimulation.. Doesn't seem that he should be able to disobey both commands and the collar encouragement

Quote Originally Posted by Tony2410 View Post
    While I appreciate the feedback I know that he is well versed in the words no and come. My thought was that the collar is there for reinforcement of his commands and when he disobeys the one he gets stimulation.. Doesn't seem that he should be able to disobey both commands and the collar encouragement
    How did you CC and how are you are sure the dog knows that to stop the collar pressure it must obey the command?