The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Max 5000 regulator

Default Max 5000 regulator

I need to replace a regulator on one of my Max 5000's, but I have been unable to find a like regulator on the web. It appears I'm going to have to order a different style of regulator but am unable to determine anything about the original since it has absolutely no markings other than a stamped number 6... or 9. I've been to half a dozen different supply houses and all I've got is blank looks. I know this isn't rocket science, but does anyone know if that is a low or high pressure regulator? I would assume low, but the red knob has me wondering if it's following the general rule of red being a high pressure regulator.

Better yet... anyone just want to tell me where to get a new regulator they know will work?

I'm wondering if this will work: http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...jXDxoCdNzw_wcB

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-BB

BTW...I believe it is the regulator at issue because I simply swapped it with my other one and it works flawlessly. For now. haha
    Last edited by TimberCane; 07-28-2015 at 06:26 PM.

O2 or propane?
    O2 should be easy
    Propane, McMaster Carr might have one or get a Coleman stove regulator.
    Coleman is fixed but will work.
    PM me if this doesn't work.
    "I've had it all. I've done it all. I've seen it all." Rick James

..Propane.

Try the Coleman and adjust the O2 accordingly
    "I've had it all. I've done it all. I've seen it all." Rick James

WJTB23, thank you for the pm and link. Sorry I couldn't pm you back, but it appears the administrator has it set so that a registered user has to have at least 10 post to be able to utilize pm's. So you get a public, "thank you".

Thank you, too, Raymond Little. I went with the Smith Little Torch Propane Regulator. Cost a little more, but the quality appears that it may be better long-term. Who knows. I may try the Coleman on my next one and see it there's really any difference in the two.

A final update on this for anyone needing the info down the line... The $45 Smith Little Torch Propane Regulator, that also needs a 1/4" brass coupling available at lowes for about $3, gave me fits with consistency. Sometimes it shot fine, sometimes not at all. I don't know if it is a defective regulator or just the wrong type. (So I returned it after the following...)

I decided to try the fixed Coleman regulator suggested above and saw I could buy that locally at Cabelas or Academy for about the same $20 price I could order it online for. When I went to Academy I saw they also had a Megellan branded "Regulated Converter" that was adjustable AND only $13. All I have to do was unscrew the aluminum pipe from it and screw it onto the factory fitting on the max. I ran a couple dozen rounds through it today with no problem.

Bottom line: For $12.99 plus tax, get you a Magellan Regulated Converter from Academy on the aisle with all of the Coleman cook stoves and accessories. Good luck!