Whining during Hunt - possible solutions
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whining during Hunt - possible solutions

Default Whining during Hunt - possible solutions

I was talking with a pro the other day and he said the best way to solve this is to stick a bumper in their mouth and command sit each time they whine. I have also heard of putting them in a crate the second they whine and shoot a bird and let them see it fall. If they whine they do not get the bird. if they are quiet they come out of the crate and hunt. thoughts?
    HRCH JC's Buckmaster Classic

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

This can be a tough one. There have been several threads on this. I think it depends on what level of whining. My dog was a heavy whiner. A pro got him pretty quiet, and he is okay but not great at hunt tests. You have to be vigilant in addressing it. As far as hunting in a blind he is quiet as a church mouse and very attentive looking for birds in the sky. Go figure....
    E.J. Thorne
    Newbury, MA formerly of Pittsburgh, PA

I don't see how putting the dog in a crate would be helpful. Bumper in mouth might work - have heard that one before... I had a chessie that was a whiner when hunting - I vowed never to have another vocal dog....
    Problem with so much of our training (US) is that the dog is doing something from the time they get out of the truck - at least in training... So we do not teach them patience. Their expectation is not to sit and wait for 30 minutes while someone works 5 flocks of ducks or geese with a call.

Search "vocal".
    Tom Dorroh
    Boston, GA

I searched vocal and could not find the thread you were referring to. he is quiet when birds are working or we start calling. It is not loud but a constant whine during each hunt. any other solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by c.j. View Post
    I searched vocal and could not find the thread you were referring to. he is quiet when birds are working or we start calling. It is not loud but a constant whine during each hunt. any other solutions?
    Is he vocal ONLY when hunting, and otherwise quiet around the house? Does he become vocal when he's anticipating something he wants? Going on a ride, or a walk, or getting out of a kennel run or when it's dinner time?

So when hunting, he's quiet until you start shooting and dropping birds?
    Magister venator aliquando si deus vult

I was talking with a pro the other day and he said the best way to solve this is to stick a bumper in their mouth and command sit each time they whine. I have also heard of putting them in a crate the second they whine and shoot a bird and let them see it fall. If they whine they do not get the bird. if they are quiet they come out of the crate and hunt. thoughts?
    I see you posted almost the same thing a year ago. Has this problem been going on for a year?
    Tom Dorroh
    Boston, GA

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    Is he vocal ONLY when hunting, and otherwise quiet around the house? Does he become vocal when he's anticipating something he wants? Going on a ride, or a walk, or getting out of a kennel run or when it's dinner time?

So when hunting, he's quiet until you start shooting and dropping birds?
    he is never vocal unless he is sitting on a stand/bank/dog box etc. while hunting. he does not whine around the house or in the truck. the whining occurs when we are waiting on birds to come in (dove or ducks) it is like he is inpatient and cold, even though he does it in the heat to. when the action heats up he is silent and looking for birds. when the hunting is slow he sits there and whines like he wants something. almost like he is saying I don't want to sit here I want to move around or pick up birds.

he is never vocal unless he is sitting on a stand/bank/dog box etc. while hunting. he does not whine around the house or in the truck. the whining occurs when we are waiting on birds to come in (dove or ducks) it is like he is inpatient and cold, even though he does it in the heat to. when the action heats up he is silent and looking for birds. when the hunting is slow he sits there and whines like he wants something. almost like he is saying I don't want to sit here I want to move around or pick up birds.
    I am dealing with this exact issue with my 3 year old. I have tried sit nick sit and a firm muzzle grab with "no" without much success over the last two seasons. I thought it might be because she isn't used to sitting for long periods so I started training her to just sit on the stand for extended periods of time. She doesn't make a noise when doing this at home but the instant we get in the blind it starts. Very frustrating.

I believe most do not even know they are doing it. I've found a vibrate on the collar, with a NO Quite any time the whine comes out seems to help. You do it enough they realize they are making the noise, usually shut-up once they realize. That said have a dog I've been doing this for years with, "aka. NOT MY DOG"; whenever he goes home with someone who either doesn't hear the whine or doesn't correct it every time. The whine comes back and you got to go back to being No tolerance again. I really believe certain people cannot hear that tone, otherwise they'd be going as insane as I do. For my dogs, I take the pups out to the blind young on slow days so they can learn to be bored .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-29-2016 at 02:28 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HR Storm SH (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)