RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

EIC Results - Feel free to post RESULTS here!

406K views 600 replies 431 participants last post by  Shipley91 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, it is now a commercially available test!

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/services-and-fees/canine-neuromuscular/canine-exercised-induced-collapse-eic/index.htm

Please feel free to post your EIC results under this sticky heading.

Please also be sure of any information you post as fact about genetic science. It may not be readily evident, but I do get contacted behind the scenes by concerned parties. The concern is valid and centers around misinformation getting posted on widely-read threads, which then becomes generally accepted as fact. Sometimes it is no big deal. Other times, it really can mis-serve the purpose of the board by propogating misinformation. So please, if you are going to cite statistics, factual scientific genetic info, etc. please have some science or valid reference to back it up.

In short, as always, please be accountable for the information you post on RTF. Please also remember that the EIC test just came out as commercially available. Be considerate to others in the manner in which you present your results, please.

Also, I want to clarify that I have not at all had issue with any of the folks at the Univ. of MN. It has been a while, but I have spoken with some of the folks there, long ago when the test was under development. They have NEVER contacted me with any issue about some of the misinformation that folks have posted on RTF. I'm not saying that they never will, but so far, they have not. Nonetheless, please be mindful that the paragraph in bold is followed. Thanks!

Thanks! Chris

(My apologies to Mark Sehon. I tried to merge his results into this thread and I botched it all up! So I have tried to restore his results thread to its original condition.)

See less See more
#470 ·
Premier's Carbon Star
EIC - Clear
CNM - Clear

#556 ·
Hips - Good
Elbows - Normal

#471 · (Edited)
Regarding CNM and earlier comment about prevalence: The writer might not have seen a case in five years, but we are testing litters regularly that have affected pups in them and/or testing pups that have been placed in homes and the affected symptoms start to show. Remember that carriers do not show symptoms and often breeders do not tell anyone about their affected pups --- so it could be very true that the writer did not see a case in five years.

After I wrote the first version of this post, the person who I was responding to removed theirs. They wrote me personally to sort out what was intended. Therefore my first paragraph above may seem to be a comment out of no-where but I will leave it for now.

Another new comment I want to add is that I have discovered that some people mistake some other diseases with words in them that are somewhat near Centronuclear Myopathy but spelled slightly differently and/or a different kind of myopathy (there are many), but are not CNM. Be careful what you are looking at when you see clearances listed on a web site. There are mistakes on some web sites that mislead people into "maybe" thinking that the dogs are cleared for CNM but it is not the same disease, in some cases.

It is very evident that we have not gotten rid of CNM being carried in pedigrees in the USA or any other of the 18 countries that we deal with regularly.

I know this post does not belong on the EIC sticky list -- but I was not sure where to put it so it would be seen by people reading the comments. Chris should move if he wants to.

If anything, there are more CNM carriers than before since people know how to breed to avoid affected pups in a litter. Carriers show no symptoms so they are not visible to most people. A fair number of people are testing litters with us so they can tell buyers which pups are carriers. Many buyers are quite comfortable buying a carrier ---- as long as they know about it.

There are still many breeders who have no idea about CNM and/or EIC existing. It will be a long time before either are gone from Labradors.

For questions please write me privately at cnminfo@centurytel.net
It was only by sheer chance that I happened to see the post on CNM in the EIC thread as I don't browse very often. And I seldom think to look at my PM folder.

Happy Retrieving

Marilyn

Marilyn J Fender, PhD
Global Communications - CNM Project
www.labradorcnm.com

#473 ·
Just called UofMinn this AM about my new dog's results- EIC clear! :)
Another show-bred dog, Laurglen Ardent Rogue at HySpire ("Rogue"- GrCH Sure Shot HySpire Impressive X CH Ghoststone's Woodland Gossip).

#474 ·
Hello,

AJTOP Memphré Shining Breeze (FC CK's Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit X Sugarfoot Lightning Bolt) EIC/CNM CLEAR
AJTOP Cruises Pride (FC AFC Land Ahoy X See The Difference Of Memphré MH WCX) EIC /CNM CLEAR
AJTOP Life Style (Boogie Dancer MH X NMH GMH Yeller Yellow Bear) EIC / CNM CLEAR

#475 · (Edited)
Under the circumstances of some of Tanker's sire's (NFC AFC FC HR Dewey's Drake of Moon Rivers) offspring were EIC affected and some EIC carriers, this was the BEST possible news I could have hoped for... I can breed him!!!

HRCH UH BIRD DOWN'S RIVER TANK OF DRAKE NSJ SRT -- EIC / CARRIER

#478 ·
Hurricane Stormy Gale JH CMN CLear/ EIC Carrier
Pup Yellow male SR67232303 CMN Clear/EIC Clear

#487 · (Edited)
Rick's Rooster Smasher of DRL "Eli"
EIC= Clear Through Univ of MN
CNM= Clear Through Alfort

#492 ·
Greenwing's Rebecca Pearl Harbor of Sauk River

EIC: Clear - D11-043415 (UM)
CNM: Clear - LR-CNM11-470-F-PIV

Greenwing's Abraham of Sauk River

EIC: Clear by parentage
CNM: Clear - LR-CNM11-510-M-PIV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.