The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 48 of 59 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: EIC Results - Feel free to post RESULTS here!

Regarding CNM and earlier comment about prevalence: The writer might not have seen a case in five years, but we are testing litters regularly that have affected pups in them and/or testing pups that have been placed in homes and the affected symptoms start to show. Remember that carriers do not show symptoms and often breeders do not tell anyone about their affected pups --- so it could be very true that the writer did not see a case in five years.

After I wrote the first version of this post, the person who I was responding to removed theirs. They wrote me personally to sort out what was intended. Therefore my first paragraph above may seem to be a comment out of no-where but I will leave it for now.

Another new comment I want to add is that I have discovered that some people mistake some other diseases with words in them that are somewhat near Centronuclear Myopathy but spelled slightly differently and/or a different kind of myopathy (there are many), but are not CNM. Be careful what you are looking at when you see clearances listed on a web site. There are mistakes on some web sites that mislead people into "maybe" thinking that the dogs are cleared for CNM but it is not the same disease, in some cases.

It is very evident that we have not gotten rid of CNM being carried in pedigrees in the USA or any other of the 18 countries that we deal with regularly.

I know this post does not belong on the EIC sticky list -- but I was not sure where to put it so it would be seen by people reading the comments. Chris should move if he wants to.

If anything, there are more CNM carriers than before since people know how to breed to avoid affected pups in a litter. Carriers show no symptoms so they are not visible to most people. A fair number of people are testing litters with us so they can tell buyers which pups are carriers. Many buyers are quite comfortable buying a carrier ---- as long as they know about it.

There are still many breeders who have no idea about CNM and/or EIC existing. It will be a long time before either are gone from Labradors.

For questions please write me privately at cnminfo@centurytel.net
    It was only by sheer chance that I happened to see the post on CNM in the EIC thread as I don't browse very often. And I seldom think to look at my PM folder.

Happy Retrieving

Marilyn

Marilyn J Fender, PhD
    Global Communications - CNM Project
    www.labradorcnm.com
    Last edited by Marilyn Fender; 03-21-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: added information

Quote Originally Posted by Jana Love View Post
    Chris--Could you make another requirement to puppy ads that the Dams, Sires and litters are tested for both EIC and CNM? We all need to seriously get more of a handle on both of these out of control diseases.
    RTF is not going to implement mandatory genetic testing at this time.

There is ample information available on RTF regarding EIC and CNM. Consumers are able to make their own educated decisions. Each buyer can set up his or her own buying criteria.

There will never be a "one size fits all".

Here is one example of why I don't want RTF to get into this requirement: Let's say someone posts EIC clear on a parent. Let's say someone buys a puppy and it is a carrier or affected. Who are you going to blame?

RTF is here to provide a resource and allow buyers and sellers to connect. It is here to provide value. RTF can not function as a "failsafe" in breeding protocols.

Responsibility for researching and making wise choices is up to the individual buyer.

P.S. I'd appreciate that folks wanting to ask me direct questions send me a PM, email me at maximusretrievers@yahoo.com, or call me at 217-454-0361.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Just called UofMinn this AM about my new dog's results- EIC clear!
    Another show-bred dog, Laurglen Ardent Rogue at HySpire ("Rogue"- GrCH Sure Shot HySpire Impressive X CH Ghoststone's Woodland Gossip).
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Hello,

AJTOP Memphré Shining Breeze (FC CK's Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit X Sugarfoot Lightning Bolt) EIC/CNM CLEAR
    AJTOP Cruises Pride (FC AFC Land Ahoy X See The Difference Of Memphré MH WCX) EIC /CNM CLEAR
    AJTOP Life Style (Boogie Dancer MH X NMH GMH Yeller Yellow Bear) EIC / CNM CLEAR
    Alain Jetté
    AJTOP RETRIEVER
    www.ajtop.com

Under the circumstances of some of Tanker's sire's (NFC AFC FC HR Dewey's Drake of Moon Rivers) offspring were EIC affected and some EIC carriers, this was the BEST possible news I could have hoped for... I can breed him!!!

HRCH UH BIRD DOWN'S RIVER TANK OF DRAKE NSJ SRT -- EIC / CARRIER
    Last edited by tankerlab; 04-12-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    HRCH UH BIRD DOWN'S RIVER TANK OF DRAKE MH NSJ SRT ("Tanker")
    BIRD DOWN'S VENUS FLY TRAP ("Venus")

BIRD DOWN RETRIEVERS
    BUCK GARDNER "PRO STAFF"

DELTA WATERFOWL S.W. OHIO
    OHIO RIVER HRC
    WEST CENTRAL OHIO HRC

Quote Originally Posted by tankerlab View Post
    Under the circumstances of some of Tanker's sire's (NFC AFC FC HR Dewey's Drake of Moon Rivers) offspring were EIC affected and some EIC carriers, this was the BEST possible news I could have hoped for... I can breed him!!!

HRCH UH BIRD DOWN'S RIVER TANK OF DRAKE NSJ SRT -- EIC / CARRIER

Congrats!
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Ebonstar Coach "Coach" MH
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Candlewood Victory "Tory" MH

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley

Do you listen to God as well as your dog listens to you? Can God run "Blinds" with you?

www.trinityoaklabs.com

HRCH Wood's Rascal MH

OFA Hips Good
    Elbows Normal
    Cerf Clear
    EIC Carrier
    HRCH Wood's Rascal MH
    HRCH Wood's Maggie

Hurricane Stormy Gale JH CMN CLear/ EIC Carrier
    Pup Yellow male SR67232303 CMN Clear/EIC Clear
    Phil Giarth
    Hurricane Retrievers