The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Chris A.-Long, but timely read

Default Chris A.-Long, but timely read

Chris-

I was given this after Kate died- and your post this morning about Luke reminded me of it. I hope it helps. And Finn thanks you for suggestiing an extra hug. The old dogs somehow leave a part of their souls with the young ones!

M

I, Silverdene Emblem O’Neill (familiarly known to my family, friends and acquaintances as Blemie) because of the burden of my years and infirmities is heavy upon me, and I realize the end of my life is near, do hereby bury my last will and testament in the mind of my Master. He will not know it is there until after I am dead. Then, remembering me in his loneliness, he will suddenly know of this testament, and I ask him then to inscribe it as a memorial to me.

I have little in the way of material things to leave. Dogs are wiser than men. They do not set great store upon things. They do not waste their days hoarding property. They do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep they objects they have, and to obtain objects they have not.

There is nothing of value I have to bequeath except my love and faith. These I leave to all who have loved me, especially to my Master and Mistress, who I know will mourn me the most.

I ask my Master and Mistress to remember me always, but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to them in time of sorrow, and a reason for added joy in their happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause them pain.

Let them remember that while no dog has ever had a happier life (and this I owe to their love and care for me), now that I have grown blind and deaf and lame, and even my sense of smell fails me so that a rabbit could be right under my nose and I might not know, my pride has sunk to a sick, bewildered humiliation. I feel life is taunting me with having overlingered my welcome. It is time I said goodbye, before I become too sick a burden on myself and on those who love me.

It will be a sorrow to leave them, but not a sorrow to die. Dogs do not fear death as men do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life. What may come after death, who knows?

I would like to believe that there is a Paradise. Where one is always young and full bladdered. Where all the day one dillies and dallies. Where each blissful hour is mealtime.

Where in long evenings there are a million fireplaces with logs forever burning, and one curls oneself up and blinks into the flames and nods and dreams, remembering the old brave days on earth and the love of one’s Master and Mistress.

I am afraid this is too much for even such a dog as I am to expect. But peace, at least, is certain. Peace and long rest for weary old heart and limbs, and eternal sleep in the earth I have loved so well. Perhaps, after all, this is best.

One last request I earnestly make. I have heard my Mistress say, When Blemie dies we must never have another dog. I love him so much I could never love another one.”

Now I would ask her, for love of me, to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to have a dog again. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me in the family, now she cannot live without a dog!

I have never had a narrow, jealous spirit. I have always held that most dogs are good. My successor can hardly be as well bred or as well mannered or distinguished and handsome as I was in my prime. My Master and Mistress must not ask the impossible.

But he will do his best, I am sure, and even his inevitable defects will help by comparison to keep my memory green.

To him I bequeath my collar and leash. He can never wear them with the distinction I did, all eyes fixed on me in admiration; but again I am sure he will do his utmost not to appear a mere gauche provincial dog.

In the field, he may prove himself quite worthy of comparison in some respects. He will I presume have greater success than I have been able to in recent years. And for all his faults, I hereby wish him the happiness I know will be his in my old home.

One last work of farewell, dear Master and Mistress. Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourselves with regret but also with happiness in your hearts at the rememberance of my long, happy life with you: “Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved.”

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.

Written by Eugene O' Neill after the loss of Blemie.
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you can’t take it back…"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Now that is a tear jerker. I have got to quit reading these posts at work!! People are starting to wonder why I keep tearing up.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Good stuff thanks for sharing!

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander " Gander"
    TTF Duck Sloughs Make Mine a Double "Shooter"

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28

Well in about an hour I'm gonna walk to the elementary school with my 13 year old golden Sam and pick up my third grader. Every kid in that school knows and loves Sam the dog, I'll walk home quite a rich man. It's the best part of my entire week.

SMF

that's a keeper for sure - had to close the office door for a bit as it brought back many great memories of old dogs long since gone.

Thanks for sharing that.
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Miriam, you might want to put this one in the "tributes" sticky. It is so good, and I know others might want to read it again when their time comes.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Wade View Post
    My successor can hardly be as well bred or as well mannered or distinguished and handsome as I was in my prime. My Master and Mistress must not ask the impossible.
    This brought a smile to my face - I can imagine my Flash (who is still here with me) thinking this of his younger siblings even now!

Thanks for sharing...

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot