The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Why would anyone run for public office (GDG)

Default Why would anyone run for public office (GDG)

With the GOP's pick for VP and reading, listening and watching the coverage of her I was wondering why would someone put themselves and families thru this. I would do it except one time I.... oh and that.... a never mind. I am sure all the folks here on RTF that have made some really bright comments about any of the candidates can look in their own closets and find something that they would never want in the national news.

We have 4 years and a few months for the next POTUS election so we should start now. Please post up your name or handle and get you on the next ticket and I dont care for which side.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

I couldn't afford having the pictures from my college days getting out...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Used to be that people were honored to be considered for public office. Today the muckrakers in the media and some pols want to rip them apart. I once considered politics as a career, but have no desire to be raked over the coals like Gov Palin has been the last few days by the lib media.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

In other threads on the current political issues (I say that somewhat tongue in cheek), some have asked "if this is the best they could come up with?".

I am of the opinion that the answer is No, this is the best we could find that were willing to put themselves through the meat grinder that is our political system nowadays.

The "best" candidates, on both sides of the isle, will never be known because they're not about to run.

IMHO of course

Derry Pa Blackhawk's Southern Cross SH CD 9/22/93 - 7/15/08

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_C View Post
    In other threads on the current political issues (I say that somewhat tongue in cheek), some have asked "if this is the best they could come up with?".

I am of the opinion that the answer is No, this is the best we could find that were willing to put themselves through the meat grinder that is our political system nowadays.

The "best" candidates, on both sides of the isle, will never be known because they're not about to run.

IMHO of course
    Well put.

And in answer to the title of the post, "follow the money".

Been there - done that! just on a local scale - 6 1/2 years as a School Board member & 1 shot at the State Legislature which thankfully I did not win. There are better ways to get things done, in our state we have the initiative route.

My School Board days were started by an appointment, then an election & then another election. I was not a favorite of the teachers as I expected accountability & did not feel they were something special. They had a job to do & needed to do it. Ever notice how test scores keep going lower in government schools.

Also was the chair of the Negotiations committee for the board for 5 1/2 years of the 6 1/2 years on the Board. Replaced 1 year by a slate that was advanced by the teachers - truly funny, they had all resigned within a year because they couldn't handle the constant "Give us more, It's all for the students." But the gutless suckers took it out on my children, they had to be subtle about that cause I would nail them as a parent.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Amrein View Post
    With the GOP's pick for VP and reading, listening and watching the coverage of her I was wondering why would someone put themselves and families thru this. I would do it except one time I.... oh and that.... a never mind. I am sure all the folks here on RTF that have made some really bright comments about any of the candidates can look in their own closets and find something that they would never want in the national news.

We have 4 years and a few months for the next POTUS election so we should start now. Please post up your name or handle and get you on the next ticket and I dont care for which side.
    People run for a lot of reasons, the only ones I will discuss are the ones who run because they believe they can make whatever venue they are running in better. Some actually enjoy a measure of success, but the bureaucracy will undo that unless you keep a watchful eye on them. Remember 65% of the Fed bureaucracy are Left of Center & I'm not sure the percentage may be much higher in smaller governments. We used to have good Law Enforcement when the newly elected Sheriff fired all the previous deputies & installed his cronies - re-election was dependent on them doing their job. Now we have civil service & no one has to perform to remain. Job guarantees & performance somehow do not go hand in hand, in any venue.

I have respect for people who are willing to put themselves through the meat grinder of running for any office - just wish we had Term Limits, IMO the discussions would be more on who can get the job done, rather than a non-stop character assassination.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!