The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun shy and i need help

foxtrapr

Unhappy gun shy and i need help

i have a 9month old clm who was doing very good with retrieving.he was never gun shy until yesterday he started freaking out when i was shooting.he took off running like heck.what can i do to correct this please help.

Senior Member Heather McCormack's Avatar

Lightbulb

Hello,

I had a pup do that and we just used alot of live birds and started with the guns at a distance and slowly moved closer to the guns as she got more comfortable. She came around just fine. I found replacing the fear with something really fun like live birds to chase made her happy.

Good Luck!

Heather

Good advice Heather.

How close was the pup to you while you were shooting?? Is this his first intro to gunfire?

Live shackled birds for excitement. Have your gunner start 40-50 yards away and gradually work closer to you and the dog. Make it about the bird and retrieve not about the gunfire.

Good Luck,

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander " Gander"
    Docheno's Raising A Ruckus "Ruckus"

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28

Like somebody asked prior, is this the 1st time your dog has been around guns? If you have a 22, you can have somebody with the dog about 100 yards or so away. Slowly walk closer towards the dog while shooting. Make sure the pup is fine with it all. When you get right to the dog, you can feed it and shoot the 22. Guns should never be a problem after that.

start with a toy cap gun at feeding time... pop it far enough away that you see NO reaction from your pup while he is eating (looking up to see what the noise is then resuming eating is fine)...

gradually decrease the distance so that you are popping the cap gun right next to him while he is eating. could take a week or more...read your pup...

do the same with marks...have the thrower pop the cap gun before throwing, include a duck call too...start with the gunner far enough away to only get your dog's attn...gradually move up until the gunner is quite close to you...or you can shoot the cap gun yourself to signal the throw...(use birds)

then graduate to .209 primer gun....same exact method - start a loooong ways off, then move up.......
    then to .12 guage popper loads...

always use birds..

Juli
    Last edited by Juli H; 09-03-2008 at 03:54 PM.
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by foxtrapr View Post
    i have a 9month old clm who was doing very good with retrieving.he was never gun shy until yesterday he started freaking out when i was shooting.he took off running like heck.what can i do to correct this please help.
    You say he was never gun shy before yesterday. Was there any difference between the type of gunfire you had yesterday or any other aspect of your training yesterday and what he has previously experienced when he wasn't having problems? Have you tried him again today

What is the dog's history with gunshots?

Has it learned that gunshot = retrieve?

Preferably gunshot = retrieve bird.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Hey buddy we need some more info here???????
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

I know a kid, had a good pup. Was retrieving shot birds, no problem. End of summer came, time to get ready for deer season. Pulled into the sand pit with the dog on the front seat of the pick up truck. Rested across the hood to put a few rounds through the 7mm Rem. Mag. Concussion from the first round broke the truck windshield as it already had a stone peck crack. Pup was forever skittish. I hope you aren't screwed, but.......
    Ken Bora
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by SLICK View Post
    Like somebody asked prior, is this the 1st time your dog has been around guns? If you have a 22, you can have somebody with the dog about 100 yards or so away. Slowly walk closer towards the dog while shooting. Make sure the pup is fine with it all. When you get right to the dog, you can feed it and shoot the 22. Guns should never be a problem after that.

Actually a .410 or any other shotgun at sufficient distance is a better start than a .22 or any rifle. The "crack" of a rifle is worse on the ears than the boom of a shotgun. If you must use a .22 use a CB Short IMO. You want something subsonic IMO. Not saying it can't be done w/ a .22, just that there are better options. I introduced my first dog to gunfire w/ a .22 because I didn't know any better and I got lucky and had no problems. 2nd dog, primer popper shotshells, then shot shells, no .22.

Also, don't have somebody with the dog. Have somebody with the gun and YOU be with your dog. Reassure the dog after each shot, if the dog simply looks toward the sound then praise him, give it a treat or throw a bird as a "reward" attitude pick-me-up after each shot. If the dog shows anything more than interest in the sound then you should probably back up.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy