The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training after whelping

Default Training after whelping

My dog is due to whelp in a few weeks. I've kept her active but low key during the pregnancy, and have been reinforcing easy stuff like obedience.

I've got her scheduled to go south this winter with a trainer, and I'm wondering when to get her back into training. Do I start while she's weaning the pups?

I know the pups will take a lot out of her so she won't be in training condition right away, but I want her ready for her training schedule this winter. This is our first litter so it's all a learning game here.

Thanks,

Kate
    Kate Schaefers
    Shoreview, MN

My pro, who also was the breeder for my gal and will be whelping her upcoming liter tells me that you have to wait a while, until after the milk dries up. Big problem is that if she starts running too soon, tits will drag on the grass and ground and become infected. Wait until she is close to her origional girlie figure before getting into full training. bud

Kristie Wilder

I would wait until after weaning just in case mom were to come into contact with something while out training that could be transferred through her milk supply -- not sure if there really is anything, but I like to play it safe.

I'm always afraid of any of the dogs in my household coming in contact with something and then bringing it home to the pups, so when I have pups on the ground, all my dogs are limited to my own house and yard. Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but this is what I'm comfortable with. You can always use this time to brush up on the basics at home.

I broke my own rule with my last litter and took one of my boys to a show for a weekend and, sure enough, he came down with kennel cough. Thank goodness, it only spread to one of my other adults and not to the puppies (although they were 8 weeks at the time, not wee little ones).
    Kim Teall
    Kimberjac Labradors

I am in the same situation with Soleil. Pups due mid September. I guess I'm paranoid, too! I would rather err on the side of caution. I like the idea of waiting til she gets her figure back.
    Katherine Taylor-Green AKA Honey and Grandma!

I whelped a litter for someone last fall. Mom was put back on the truck 3 1/2 weeks after whelp (owner's decision - not mine). They started small stuff during the trip from NC to CA and once they got there they trained for a few more days. The following week she was an NFC!!!!!!!

Vikki

What about level of training before whelping? Hopefully my bitch is 3 weeks in whelp and was thinking of doing normal training but no trials until about 6 weeks? From books I have recently read 3 - 5 weeks is critical for implantation so not sure whether training can affect this process.
    If you play their game train the way they train

Quote Originally Posted by kimberjac View Post
    I'm always afraid of any of the dogs in my household coming in contact with something and then bringing it home to the pups, so when I have pups on the ground, all my dogs are limited to my own house and yard. Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but this is what I'm comfortable with. You can always use this time to brush up on the basics at home.
    Amen and your not paranoid.

Plenty of time to train once the pups are GONE and I have the Vet bills to prove this theory

Quote Originally Posted by pmw View Post
    What about level of training before whelping? Hopefully my bitch is 3 weeks in whelp and was thinking of doing normal training but no trials until about 6 weeks? From books I have recently read 3 - 5 weeks is critical for implantation so not sure whether training can affect this process.

And cleft palate, and other formative stages... If she's exposed to a chemical or high adrenalin situation, you'll risk the whole litter. Let her grow her babies. At about 6 wks, she may be feeling miserable anyhow, and not be terribly thrilled to trial. Once I breed a bitch, it's all fun and moderation until the pups are weaned.

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    And cleft palate, and other formative stages... If she's exposed to a chemical or high adrenalin situation, you'll risk the whole litter. Let her grow her babies. At about 6 wks, she may be feeling miserable anyhow, and not be terribly thrilled to trial. Once I breed a bitch, it's all fun and moderation until the pups are weaned.
    That's my policy too. Once the dog is bred I limit the amount of stresses on them. I do keep them active - walks and a few controlled, easy, fun retrieves maybe but nothing that will put the dog or her brood at risk.

Afterwards they can get back into training shortly after the pups are weaned, starting slowly at first and building up as they get their stamina back.

I have one girl though that loved to trainafter the puppies...she was more focused and more determined than ever to get back to work. We entered her in a hunt test pretty soon after the pups had left. It was mid-February and she had worked hard in training days prior to the test with very chilly temps. Nothing seemed to bother her even though her normally very thick coat was so bare you could see skin on her chest and neck. So we go to this test. Wait all mornign for her turn to run the first series which happened to be water. She was quite buiness like going through the holding blinds. First task was a walk up bird thrown 20 yards out into the water off to their right. Dave sent her and she took off hard - eyes steeled at the target floating in the water. She launched into the water and went totally under. When she came up she was only a couple of feet from the bird but disoriented. It was like she didn't expect the water to be there. Dave tried to handle her back, but she refused and started coming in.

After that we decided that no matter how much they want to work after puppies, we would not enter a test til the harmones were back to normal and the blown coat was restored.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady