RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Posts from "EIC Results" not posting results

6K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  JusticeDog 
#1 ·
vet that took samples at Madison Retriever Club trial reported that 8 of 17 samples came back as carriers

How big is this problem??

trog

#3 ·
I would like to ask "lablady" how she knows about the sires of these dogs.
My dogs sire is EIC clear but both his 6 and 7 month old pups are carriers
Do you know the sire of these two dogs?
Please don't make statements like this unless you can state for a fact who the sires are.
trog

#6 ·
So much for this being a "results" thread. ;)

#8 ·
FC AFC TAYLORLAB DOWNTOWN DUSTY BROWN - Carrier

We have sent the information to Steve Dannaway to post on the main page of Dusty's website along with all of his other health clearances.
We will also post his EIC results on OFA.
Kudos to you being up front and honest!

#9 ·
Thank you for posting Dusty's results here, Missy. I hope others with dogs of his caliber will do the same.

Proud to be a Dusty pup owner!

Marlana

#10 ·
FC AFC TAYLORLAB DOWNTOWN DUSTY BROWN - Carrier

We have sent the information to Steve Dannaway to post on the main page of Dusty's website along with all of his other health clearances.
We will also post his EIC results on OFA.
WTG Missy! You said you would test and report and you did.

#13 ·
So, it is now a commercially available test!

Please feel free to post your EIC results under this sticky heading.

Please also be sure of any information you post as fact about genetic science. It may not be readily evident, but I do get contacted behind the scenes by concerned parties. The concern is valid and centers around misinformation getting posted on widely-read threads, which then becomes generally accepted as fact. Sometimes it is no big deal. Other times, it really can mis-serve the purpose of the board by propogating misinformation. So please, if you are going to cite statistics, factual scientific genetic info, etc. please have some science or valid reference to back it up.

In short, as always, please be accountable for the information you post on RTF. Please also remember that the EIC test just came out as commercially available. Be considerate to others in the manner in which you present your results, please.

Also, I want to clarify that I have not at all had issue with any of the folks at the Univ. of MN. It has been a while, but I have spoken with some of the folks there, long ago when the test was under development. They have NEVER contacted me with any issue about some of the misinformation that folks have posted on RTF. I'm not saying that they never will, but so far, they have not. Nonetheless, please be mindful that the paragraph in bold is followed. Thanks!

Thanks! Chris

(My apologies to Mark Sehon. I tried to merge his results into this thread and I botched it all up! So I have tried to restore his results thread to its original condition.)
Good points, Chris.

Speaking only for the ACC (I'm Health Committee Chairman), we do maintain our own database of DNA test results (this includes EIC). We DO NOT accept internet postings as proof of a dog's having been tested. In order to list a dog in the database, a copy of the results has to be forwarded to the HC liaison who manages the database. This can be a copy of the certificate, or a copy of the e-mail notification (OptiGen sends e-mail notification of results before they send the certificate).

I would suggest for both Lab AND Golden folks who are grappling with DNA-based tests for the very first time, that you receive any posted results as interesting information only. I would not base any breeding decisions on something posted on a website, either here or on Good Dog. No, it's not that I think people are liars, but stuff gets jumbled some times (especially when you are typing results for a whole list of dogs), typos happen, etc!

If you truly want your dog's status to be recorded, I suggest that the requisite forms be filled out and sent to OFA. OFA has their uber-database, and will issue a number to your dog, and enter your dog AND its pedigree information into their database. This is a much more official and secure (nobody can modify your dog's record) way to impart this information. Also, it's more permanent. Not to mention, non-judgemental.

Just musings from someone who has gone down this road now for the fourth time...

Lisa

#15 ·
Lisa wrote: In order to list a dog in the database, a copy of the results has to be forwarded to the HC liaison who manages the database. This can be a copy of the certificate, or a copy of the e-mail notification (OptiGen sends e-mail notification of results before they send the certificate).
We do the same in LabraData. Any test claim that is not in OFA requires a copy of the report. Owners can submit "anecdotal" health information (dog had intermittent lameness) without any supporting document, but even health reports require a vet or similar statement to be considered "verified". I'm really glad the Chessie folks opted for a verified database - it is a bit more work, but worth all the effort!

#16 ·
Any Reports on Chopper, with all of the breeding that he has been doing.
If you are worried don’t breed to him. Dog throws winners. EIC/CNM testing is good for the breed I agree. The deeper we dig we will always find something wrong. Dogs, horse’s bad handlers whatever.

#18 ·
Any Reports on Chopper, with all of the breeding that he has been doing.
If you are worried don’t breed to him. Dog throws winners. EIC/CNM testing is good for the breed I agree. The deeper we dig we will always find something wrong. Dogs, horse’s bad handlers whatever.

Bravo, good answer. Who said anything about breeding to him. This thread is to post results of the current testing, not to post opinions about who throws winners and who doesn't. I have a Chopper pup, no matter how good he is if he goes down with EIC he won't be winning SH--.

Just currious if any results were known, no need to get your back up.

#19 ·
MAD MALLARD

Posts: 19 Any Reports on Chopper, with all of the breeding that he has been doing.

Bravo, good answer. Who said anything about breeding to him. This thread is to post results of the current testing, not to post opinions about who throws winners and who doesn't. I have a Chopper pup, no matter how good he is if he goes down with EIC he won't be winning SH--.

#20 ·
MAD MALLARD

Posts: 19 Any Reports on Chopper, with all of the breeding that he has been doing.

Please :)!!!!!!!!-if you ever come to TX look me up 512-947-8184 mike page

#23 ·
umm, well I think the "chicken littles" that read the available information expected the rate of carriers/affected dogs to be around 40% if my memory is correct. After a cursory glance at the numbers presented here of approx 47 clear, 23 carrier and 9 affected, that 40% may turn out to be conservative however I don't think we can make any assumptions based on this small voluntary reporting... Lots of clears? no more than expected IMO
Little Red Hen Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.